Jump to solution

XB7 Intermittent Slow to Wake Up

JT32
Grasshopper

The annoyances I have with my XB7

1. Random loss of WiFi for short periods late at night (to PS4 Pro - AppleTV+, Prime, etc)
  2. When I wake up my computer it seems like the internet ethernet connection has gone to sleep and websites show as "server not found" and I have to wait 30 seconds or so before it wakes up and gradually web sites start working again.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Factory reset seemed to be successful. I did a factory re...

JT32
Grasshopper

Factory reset seemed to be successful.

I did a factory reset by pressing and holding the button on the back. I was expecting a reset after about 10 seconds but nothing happened so I probably held it down for 30 seconds and as soon as I released it did the reset.

After the 'factory reset' my WiFi name and password were left unchanged so I was a bit skeptical that it worked. However, my port-forwards had been deleted. I re-added the port-forwards (for Plex).

Since then I have not seen any messages for the WiFi dropping off which I believe was caused by the DNS error and I have not had any DNS errors on my main computer and I have not seen any delays when trying to access various web sites after waking up my computer.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Jump to solution

--  1. Random loss of WiFi for short periods late at nigh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JT32 -- 

1. Random loss of WiFi for short periods late at night (to PS4 Pro - AppleTV+, Prime, etc)

Have you checked: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/tkb-p/service-updates

for scheduled outages "late at night" in your area? What time(s)? What is your physical location?

Is it only your WiFi that is interrupted -- do any Ethernet-connected devices continue to access the Internet?

It is possible that Shaw is "pushing" a software update to your cable-modem, causing a momentary outage, while it restarts.

When I wake up my computer it seems like the internet Ethernet connection has gone to sleep

Yes, your computer may take a while to "refresh" its network connection, when it is "waking-up". 

I have to wait 30 seconds or so before it wakes up and gradually web sites start working again.

This is normal.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

I have not noticed such issues, but "late at night" for me is after midnight. YMMV.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. Both issues happen every day. Th...

JT32
Grasshopper

Thanks for the response. Both issues happen every day. The WiFi issue happens every single night. Typically well after midnight. I've been with Shaw for many years and the ethernet connection going to sleep has never happened before and with this computer it has only been happening for a few months.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Shaw has always announced "scheduled outages" that occ...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JT32 -- Shaw has always announced "scheduled outages" that occur "well after midnight" (in the Calgary timezone).

Physically, where are you? In any area affected by the current forest-fires?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- When I wake up my computer, it seems like the internet...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JT32 -- When I wake up my computer, it seems like the internet ethernet connection has gone to sleep, and websites show as "server not found" and I have to wait 30 seconds or so before it wakes up, and gradually web sites start working again.

Are you sure that your computer is fully "awake" after it was sleeping?

Do you have a smart-phone connected via WiFi to the XB7? Does it stay connected while your computer is sleeping, and is it able to open connections while your computer is waking-up?  If so, then the XB7 is not the cause of your issue.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I'm not sure that is a valid test. The XB7 provides WiFi...

JT32
Grasshopper

I'm not sure that is a valid test. The XB7 provides WiFi and multiple Ethernet port connections. So there is nothing to say that parts of the device could be put to sleep internally including individual ports. I'm going to try different ports and bring a laptop home on the weekend.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I was watching Prime on my PS4 via wired connection from...

JT32
Grasshopper

I was watching Prime on my PS4 via wired connection from a Pod. The show suddenly stopped with a server error. I went to the web browser and got a DNS error on a typical website. I switched to WiFi and watched for another 14 minutes and the same thing happened. Definitely a DNS issue.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Definitely a DNS issue. Maybe. Maybe not. If there is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JT32 -- Definitely a DNS issue.

Maybe. Maybe not. 

If there is a loss of Internet connectivity, somewhere between your computer and the DNS-server for that "typical website", you will get a "DNS error", because the response from that DNS-server is not reaching your computer.  It could be some intermittent problem with your cable-modem, or some intermittent problem with any of the Internet routers between your cable-modem and the DNS-server.

Call Shaw Support [1-888-472-2222] and get them to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view its internal statistics, including "signal-strength", because being "out-of-spec" (outside of normal range given by its specifications) will affect your Internet access.  Maybe, get Shaw to replace the cable-modem.

Could the cable-modem be overheating, due to poor ventilation around it?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It is fairly cool now in Sept and it has good air flow, s...

JT32
Grasshopper

It is fairly cool now in Sept and it has good air flow, sitting on the carpet, used to sit on my computer.

Shaw says signal strength is good. Problems are more frequent now.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Seems similar to this guy you were helping: https://suppo...

JT32
Grasshopper
0 Kudos