Yet more complaints about the hidden ssid from XB7 modem thats in BRIDGE MODE..

shanE_
Grasshopper

Have the XB7 in bridge mode, hotspot on my account is DISABLED. The XB7 is still broadcasting 3 useless ssid's on 5 ghz and 3 on 2.4 ghz. I cant even use the 36-48 channels here cause they are so full of useless hidden shaw ssid's,.. I dont have TV, why cant a BRIDGED modem act like a BRIDGED modem? I heard of its put into bridge mode from shaw's end it will disable them, but upon using online chat the reps there know nothing and think its from my own router and im a fool..

Labels (1)
5 Replies

-- The XB7 is still broadcasting 3 useless SSIDs 5 Ghz an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shanE_ -- The XB7 is still broadcasting 3 useless SSIDs 5 Ghz and 3 on 2.4 Ghz ... upon using online chat the reps there know nothing and think it's from my own router

I think that you, and the Shaw Agent, are correct, namely that the SSIDs are coming from your router. 

After you power-off the XB7, can you still detect those SSIDs, maybe using software such as "Net Stumbler" ?

0 Kudos

I dont get whats hard to understand about this.. no. When...

shanE_
Grasshopper

I dont get whats hard to understand about this.. no. When the XB7 is off the ssids are GONE. The ssid's are like the MAC address from the XB7... this is a widespread issue and many customers hate it.

0 Kudos

-- The SSIDs are like the MAC address from the XB7. Corre...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shanE_ -- The SSIDs are like the MAC address from the XB7.

Correct. The XB7 generates a MAC-address that is quite similar to the MAC-address that the XB7 sends to Shaw's DHCP-server, to request an IP-address.

> This is a widespread issue and many customers hate it.

Hate is a strong word. 

How does it create a problem for you?  Decreased WiFi performance?  Other?

Usually, those extra SSIDs are "hidden" -- not viewable on your WiFi-capable device, when trying to connect to the XB7.  So, most customers do not even see those SSIDs, and thus are not aware of it.

0 Kudos

Yes it does, wifi is crowed here, and the thing is xmitti...

shanE_
Grasshopper

Yes it does, wifi is crowed here, and the thing is xmitting 3 useless SSIDs on 2.4ghz, and 3 on 5ghz. I do not have TV, hotspot is disabled, there is no reason for this broadcasting. If Shaw did this, 5ghz here would be clear, but instead theres about 20 hidden Shaw SSIDs all over ch 36 - 48, and 149 - 161...

I called support about this several months ago as I also...

ashtonsheppard
Grasshopper

I called support about this several months ago as I also found it very annoying. There is a setting to disable "shaw hotspot" on the account, but it does not function in bridge mode.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help