Good thought but I didn't own it and they repossessed it...

Connine
Grasshopper

Good thought but I didn't own it and they repossessed it when they came to do the installation. 

0 Kudos

Yes.  Exactly.  The BlueCurve PVR is a major step backwar...

hpeden
Grasshopper

Yes.  Exactly.  The BlueCurve PVR is a major step backwards.    For the exact reasons you mention, I had them pull out BlueCurve a few years aback and went back to my own Gateways.  Now they are saying the Gateway won't be supported any longer.   I'll be looking at Telus to see if their PVR is any better than BlueCurve before I make a decision on what route to go. 

Telus doesn’t have the option to pause one channel while...

rstra
Grand Master

@hpeden  Telus doesn’t have the option to pause one channel while surfing to another. 

0 Kudos

I am currently able to continue using my (owned) Gateway...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

I am currently able to continue using my (owned) Gateway and Portals but only on a month to month basis and only on my existing Total TV package. I couldn't downgrade the package or make any changes. When they finally pull the plug on that I will probably just cancel the TV package altogether, watch my existing recordings, offline, and throw the gear away. I have already switched my Internet to Bell to get the higher upload speed.

0 Kudos

wrote: throw the gear away Before you do, check your mont...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kritiker wrote: throw the gear away

Before you do, check your monthly Shaw/Rogers invoice, to be sure that you are NOT paying any monthly "rental" fee. Seeing any such detail implies that NOT returning the equipment (via Canada Post) will signal your intent to "purchase" their equipment, by adding a charge against your account.

By "throw away", I hope that you will take electric/electronic devices to an "end-of-life" recycling location, rather than dumping it into the municipal land-fill.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the warning about checking the bill. It is alw...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Thanks for the warning about checking the bill. It is always welcome.

I had two free “rental” portals and when I had them taken off the account, I was instructed to dispose of them. I had gotten them when I last agreed to a contract but, in the end, never put them into service. I have owned my first-gen Arris gateway and the other 4 portals for years now, having received them when my Pace units were replaced. Nonetheless, I will double check my latest bill, just to avoid any surprises.

And absolutely, they will go to an e-waste recycling facility. I have been a regular visitor there in the last few years.

I still can’t quite believe how our viewing habits have changed. And of course, what’s available on network and cableTV has changed too. Now, if we could just solve the problem of too many streaming options, none of them carrying a lot of what we want to see…..

0 Kudos

wrote: Telus doesn’t have the option to pause one channel...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra wrote: Telus doesn’t have the option to pause one channel while surfing to another. 

The current Telus Optik equipment does have the option to switch-away-and-switch-back, and then to "rewind" the (non-paused) programming either to the beginning of the current show, or to some point just before one "switched-away".

0 Kudos

Not on my in-law’s cloud pvr. They can only pause and rew...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  Not on my in-law’s cloud pvr. They can only pause and rewind live tv on the current channel. 

0 Kudos

-- something must be wrong with your son-in-law's equipme...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- something must be wrong with your son-in-law's equipment, or it may be older equipment.  Get him to contact Support (1-888-472-2222) to trouble-shoot.

0 Kudos

It’s my mother and father in-law, plus, I though we were...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk It’s my mother and father in-law, plus, I though we were talking about Optik?

The current Telus Optik equipment does have the option to switch-away-and-switch-back, and then to "rewind" the (non-paused) programming either to the beginning of the current show, or to some point just before one "switched-away".

0 Kudos