Arris Gateway Cable Box Freezing

nanuuk
Grasshopper

This past September, Shaw replaced our 1st generation Gateway TV box as it was unable to accept code updates. We chose to replace it with a 2nd generation Arris as we could continue to use our Shaw Extender (reformatted of course) for recordings.

In the last month or so we have experienced the box freezing between 9 and 9:30 p.m. on more than two occasions, but less than a half dozen if I recall correctly.

Twice I have had chat sessions with Shaw for them to ping the box. The other occasions, as recently as last night, I powered down the cable box and internet modem to reboot and restart the service.

I can't believe that this brand new box has a fault, but I am curious as to the code that Shaw is sending or whether their bandwidth isn't sufficient to handle a mass push of updates to all cable boxes.

Has any one else had similar experiences?

Labels (1)
3 Replies

Shaw only has refurb Gateways now, so you wouldn’t have r...

rstra
Grand Master

Shaw only has refurb Gateways now, so you wouldn’t have received a brand new box. It is likely that the replacement is faulty. 

0 Kudos

All my ARRIS  cable boxes are having the same issue. Did...

repena
Grasshopper

All my ARRIS  cable boxes are having the same issue. Did Shaw push a faulty update to force us to upgrade?

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where v...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@repena -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteers try to help. It is not a direct path to Shaw Support.

While your conjecture is a possibility, it could be the "feed" of Shaw's coaxial-cables from the nearest telephone-pole into your home. 

Do all of your boxes "freeze" at the same time, on the same channel?

Do you live in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building) or in your own home? If the former, do other Shaw customers in your MURB have the same issue?

Have you contacted Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) to get free technical support? The Shaw Agent can remotely logon to your device(s), to check various values, including "signal strength" reaching each box.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help