Awful connection issues with BlueCurve TV

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

Trying to watch a show currently recording, and the recording keeps stopping/freezing/kicking me out/telling me that the recording isn't currently available (even though it's recording *right now*).  

Is this common with the newer wireless cable box?

I have my box connected via ethernet, not wirelessly.

Labels (1)
11 Replies

Now, I'm getting an error just trying to watch Netflix th...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

Now, I'm getting an error just trying to watch Netflix through my cable box - "Netflix has encountered an error ... Code NW-2-4" and when I select the check the network option after selecting "more details", there are red X's on all of the servers, and it says my device may not be connected to the internet even though it clearly is... and Netflix works perfectly fine watching via my video game console.

0 Kudos

-- stopping/freezing/kicking me out/record is not current...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- stopping/freezing/kicking me out/record is not currently available

My speculation is that the disk-drive inside your PVR is having serious problems. How old is your PVR? 

Try playing a few minutes from each of your recorded programs, viewing from "oldest" to "newest", to see when the issue first started.

> I have my box connected via ethernet, not wirelessly.

Really? The typical setup is: wall-port --> coaxial cable --> BlueCurve PVR --> HDMI cable --> TV

i.e., there is no Ethernet cable being used in this configuration.

Is your setup: BlueCurve cable-modem --> Ethernet cable --> Smart TV (with built-in apps, such as Netflix) ??

0 Kudos

"My speculation is that the disk-drive inside your PVR is...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

@mdk 

"My speculation is that the disk-drive inside your PVR is having serious problems. How old is your PVR? "

It's a brand new Wireless 4K Xi6 BlueCurve box: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/equipment-info-bluecurve-tv-cable-box-overview/ta-p/5266 that I just received on Sunday.  It has no internal HDD.

"Really? The typical setup is: wall-port --> coaxial cable --> BlueCurve PVR --> HDMI cable --> TV"

The back of this unit only has HDMI, Ethernet, and power input/outputs.  There's no coaxial connection on this unit whatsoever.  I have it connected via Ethernet because it's theoretically more stable, etc...

So the connection is: wall port > coaxial to Bluecurve Gateway modem > ethernet to 4K Xi6 box > HDMI > TV

I would try connecting wirelessly, maybe there is a fault...

rstra
Grand Master

@ziggurcat I would try connecting wirelessly, maybe there is a fault in the Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos

As a matter of fact, I did that on the off chance the cab...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

@rstra 

As a matter of fact, I did that on the off chance the cable was faulty.  The Netflix connection via the BlueCurve box came back immediately, and for some reason it fixed (at least for now) the remote issues I had.  I even checked out the remote pairing, and it progressed past the loop in which it had been stuck.

I'll keep it wireless for the time being, see how the recordings perform, and keep an eye on the remote behaviour. 

quick update: Skip function on the remote reverted back t...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

@rstra 

quick update: Skip function on the remote reverted back to default again.  I don't know why this damned function keeps breaking.

It was fine all night up until a minute ago.  Watched Netflix for an hour, left that and checked the skip function - worked fine.  Went into YouTube, watched a few videos, left and the skip function broke again.  

0 Kudos

I Love Shaw it’s been about a month now....Intermittent c...

Bullwpg2020
Grasshopper

I Love Shaw it’s been about a month now....Intermittent cable not working, laughable internet speeds( paying for internet 300. Speed is roughly the same all times of the day....(when it does work! )wifi or hardwired) etc. A combined full work day worth of being on hold, trips from techs, new equipment sent in mail, having to mail the old equipment back!!! Yay. I just hate how we pay so much for tv/internet and no one is responsible or accountable. I have had some luck with one employee who seems like he cared but the result is the same. I know this isn’t as important with everything on in the world, but some of us need these services for working at home and connecting with humanity. Internet so bad I can’t even connect to their app to check my status 😹

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. Please...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bullwpg2020 -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum.

Please see your other thread, where there is a response.

Folks.... everyone just needs to realize that this entire...

Hack
Grasshopper

Folks.... everyone just needs to realize that this entire blue curve system is a piece of crap. I cannot possibly regret more buying into this and signing a two-year contract. I would give anything to just have a basic PVR once again and the Simplicity involved with that. About the only thing I can say that is good about bluecurve is the ability to record up to six channels at a time. Two or three is enough but six is great. Other than that my list of hated features about this system is at least 10-12. Garbage.!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help