Yes.  The ads work fine but  60 minutes and Global News a...

Courtenay2
Grasshopper

Yes.  The ads work fine but  60 minutes and Global News and PBS programs skip to the point that we have to watch later on the apps to get the full hour.  So why are we paying so much for PVR cable?  We only watch programs on PVR, nothing live and have a book full of issues we’ve reported to Shaw.  They’ve responded as best they can by changing our PVR box whenever we asked and now have installed The Final Solution:  the cloud based PVR box.  The skipping issues persist and also programs don’t record.  Are we asking too much of this technology?

I had another occurrence and called in. The phone support...

AndrewMcC
Grasshopper

I had another occurrence and called in. The phone support stated that the modem was flapping (lose and reconnect). This time two techs came out and they went to the box on the street and checked the connections. Then the cables on the box at the house were checked. A 1:3 splitter was removed (I removed the Shaw phone service years ago).  The cable inside the house to the cable modem was replaced as was the cable modem. The tech took up the matter with the the maintenance foreman and they discovered that the tv box was not working well.

My discussions with the support people lead me to indicate that recordings can be interrupted and lost for power problems, connection problems or anything else.

The service seems to be fragile.

0 Kudos

I also have this problem with news programs and especiall...

Courtenay2
Grasshopper

I also have this problem with news programs and especially 60 minutes.  The ads are perfect and the show skips, every week.  

0 Kudos

I have the same issue with the recordings skipping and mi...

dexxas
Grasshopper

I have the same issue with the recordings skipping and missing half of the program. I was told it was a problem with the shaw server connecting to the cloud. first called in a couple months ago and it seemed to be corrected. but started happening again early january 2022. Shaw said that there is a technical issue in my area. I stated to rep that for amount I pay for service that doesn't work is crazy, and i should be compensated. Best they would do was $25 discount. me service still isn't working properly and shaw doesn't really seem to care. Might be time to switch .

telus has geat deals, they wil buyout your contract remai...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

telus has geat deals, they wil buyout your contract remainin.  i don' iss my v at all

0 Kudos

What is the fix for this? It’s happening right when the N...

EricWins
Grasshopper

What is the fix for this? It’s happening right when the NFL playoffs happen, and usually skips the most important plays. It’s almost as if there’s an AI system deliberately doing this (not true of course, but Shaw makes it’s money on sports packages like this and these are the shows where it skips. They should be motivated to fix it)

It is obvious that the service is fragile and I am SURE t...

AndrewMcC
Grasshopper

It is obvious that the service is fragile and I am SURE that Shaw is working on it.

Based on what I have learned so far:

a) If there are any devices "flapping" (disconnecting and reconnecting) then get them replaced.

b) If you have flaky power (I noticed this on the microwave as it loses the clock time.) then you need to get the PVR on an isolated service.

c) If you can determine when the problem occurs (always at 8 PM, for instance)

d) Make sure that you get a Canadian on the phone -- the offshore call centre staff just don't have the level of care that the Canadian people are.

d) Be persistent! The competition is Bell and TELUS and neither have the level of customer care that Shaw has. Call EVERY TIME you encounter a problem. They will take action (in my case, four calls). If you are up to phone call # 5, ask to escalate the call to a manager and up to the president, every time you don't get any progress. And don't be afraid to ask for a refund for lost service. Your time is worth something.

0 Kudos

Good points. Flapping is usually caused by poor signal in...

rstra
Grand Master

@AndrewMcC 

Good points. Flapping is usually caused by poor signal in the home.  If the rep says they see flapping on the modem or cable box, get them to book a service call. It may require equipment replacement, but typically it is poor signal. 

0 Kudos

My recordings are skipping and than at times no sound. Sa...

Mccaffrey
Grasshopper

My recordings are skipping and than at times no sound. Same here we are thinking of switching too😡

Happening routinely.  Most notable on popular/major event...

RJRJR
Grasshopper

Happening routinely.  Most notable on popular/major events like NFL Playoff games.  

Brutal quality; skips repeatedly.  Sometimes just seconds, often several minutes.  

TALK TO US
We're here to help