Blue Curve TV-Buffering

zoomiey25
Grasshopper

I updated  from Bluesky to Bluecurve last week.  Having problems with "buffering" as all of my boxes are wireless. The picture/audio freezes for about 10/20 seconds .  It's worse when watching Netflix/amazon prime.  how do I resolve this issue. Talked to TV support and no help there.  Is it possible to get hard wired for these boxes?

Labels (1)
8 Replies

Wondering if you are using the 4k wireless box?

mike076
Grasshopper

Wondering if you are using the 4k wireless box?

0 Kudos

Yes the boxes are wireless

zoomiey25
Grasshopper

Yes the boxes are wireless 

0 Kudos

Thought so, I've been telling Shaw that there is somethin...

mike076
Grasshopper

Thought so, I've been telling Shaw that there is something wrong with those boxes since Sept.. Drop outs, buffering, pixels etc.. Was told oh no nothing wrong nope nope all good.. Finally got a DM from a rep oh yeah there is a problem on the backend that is being delt with

Not saying it's related but shaw knows these boxes are problematic to say the least. I finally went back to wired and no problems 

0 Kudos

Finally got thru to Customer Service and they are sending...

zoomiey25
Grasshopper

Finally got thru to Customer Service and they are sending a tech this week to swap out the wireless boxes for the wired ones.

Glad to know I was not the only one with this experience.

cheers

0 Kudos

Seems these wireless BlueCurve boxes aren’t ready for pri...

rickatk
Master

@zoomiey25 wrote:

I updated  from Bluesky to Bluecurve last week.  Having problems with "buffering" as all of my boxes are wireless. The picture/audio freezes for about 10/20 seconds .  It's worse when watching Netflix/amazon prime.  how do I resolve this issue. Talked to TV support and no help there.  Is it possible to get hard wired for these boxes?

Seems these wireless BlueCurve boxes aren’t ready for prime time yet.

I prefer “wired” but there are situations where running a wire is not possible. I would like to put a BlueSky wired box in my kitchen but remain reluctant because of difficult access and lots of tile work. Presently I have an Apple TV bringing in lots of content. I am  mostly interested in Global news. The streaming to all my Apple and Bose devices and Smart TV around the house is smooth as silk using a Shaw BlueCurve gateway.

I would be happy to put a BlueCurve box in the kitchen but would then have to rely on wireless boxes around the house. Reading this post raises questions about a full wirelss strategy. Hybrid would be nice. Wireless only when absolutely required.The other option... Shaw Free Range on a Apple TV. Monetized of course!

0 Kudos

After two weeks I can report my system is encountering re...

rickatk
Master

@zoomiey25 wrote:

After two weeks I can report my system is encountering regular freezes and loss of sound on a daily basis. My network has been checked over and tightened up by qualified Shaw techs a few months ago. The terminals are showing “excellent connection” on all my wireless tv playerspointed to the 2.4GHz band.  By contrast no issues with Apple TV or my Samsung TV(Tizen) in the same room. They are rock solid. 

I turned off the band steering and have my wireless tv players connected to the 2.4GHz band. The only reason I have done this is because when the system is set to dual band the wireless tv players show connection as “weak” presumably connecting to 5GHz. As does my TV which carries my Apple TV signal, Netflix and Prime in HDR. 

I really want to stay with the wireless boxes but find the loss of tv signal frustration for everyone in the household.

0 Kudos

I got home today, my wife advised that the main tv player...

rickatk
Master

@rickatk wrote:

@zoomiey25 wrote:

After two weeks I can report my system is encountering regular freezes and loss of sound on a daily basis. My network has been checked over and tightened up by qualified Shaw techs a few months ago. The terminals are showing “excellent connection” on all my wireless tv playerspointed to the 2.4GHz band.  By contrast no issues with Apple TV or my Samsung TV(Tizen) in the same room. They are rock solid. 

I turned off the band steering and have my wireless tv players connected to the 2.4GHz band. The only reason I have done this is because when the system is set to dual band the wireless tv players show connection as “weak” presumably connecting to 5GHz. As does my TV which carries my Apple TV signal, Netflix and Prime in HDR. 

I really want to stay with the wireless boxes but find the loss of tv signal frustration for everyone in the household.

I got home today, my wife advised that the main tv player was frozen and had been for a couple hours. The other players were all fine. I tried a  soft reset using the help key on the remote. Nothing changed. I finally unplugged the wireless box then plugged it back in. That seemed to do the trick and get the cable channels back on line.

Committed to trying to get the wireless tv system working, I had dropped in to my local Shaw outlet and picked up a box of pods earlier in the day. I was resolved to joining my networks again and setting up a mesh network with the pods, to see if that would improve the situation. I would have to deal with my TV not liking band steering and beam forming at a later time.

I got through to tech support and explained the situation. The fellow checked the problem player and discovered that the player was defective, displaying a “software problem” in the device. He also suggested I ensure my to dedicated networks had different names and passwords. The latter caught my attention. I had different network names(SSID) but was using the same passwords. I was advised to change the passwords and arrange to get a new wireless tv player. The tech also confirmed I could continue with the dedicated bands and balancing my equipment based distance and performance as that seemed to be working with my other XI6 boxes and wireless devices.

Sooo I will have to give that all a go before trying the pods which will most certainly require a dual band setup.

0 Kudos

After creating separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and pointin...

rickatk
Master

@zoomiey25 wrote:

After creating separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and pointing my Xi6 boxes to the 2.4 GHz band, or to be more precise they did, to capitalize on the long range feature of the 2.4GHz band, the solution seemed to work quite well but for one box, which I have since learned has a software problem. I will be exchanging tomorrow.

On the advice of tech support I created distinct names and distinct passwords. Apparently the latter is very important. I tried balancing all my wifi gear amongst the two bands but decided best to let the BlueCurve gear do its job. I have since put my network back to dual band and added 3 BlueCurve pods. That seems to have really helped with Xi6 reception. I was advised by the Shaw techs last spring these pods will come in handy when wireless tv boxes come along. That certainly seems to be the case. My system is running along pretty well right now. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help