BlueCurve TV: How much of a delay is there for live sports?

mondoguitar
Grasshopper

I currently have Shaw Internet 600, but my television is with Bell satellite.  I've been thinking about switching to BlueCurve TV but I've heard from some users of Rogers Ignite in Ontario that there is a  significant delay when watching live sports?

Does anybody have any exact numbers when it comes to the lag time of live sporting events? I'm often following live box-scores and tweets during games, so I wouldn't be a huge fan of a 30-60 second delay for hockey and other events.

When I watch CNN with Bell service, there's an 8 second delay from my iPhone clock changing and their ticker clock changing.  Curious what that might be with BlueCurve?

Labels (1)
10 Replies

At least 30 seconds. Don’t do it

Dho2
Grasshopper

At least 30 seconds. Don’t do it 

0 Kudos

-- have you tried listening to "over-the-air" radio broad...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mondoguitar -- have you tried listening to "over-the-air" radio broadcasts of home games of the Vancouver Canucks or the BC Lions, while watching the games on your TV, to see what the "lag" is?

Or, record any TV program that is scheduled to start at the top of the hour, and then review the recording, to see how many seconds of the preceding program, due to "lag", are recorded, instead of the start of the intended program? Does the Shaw TV box use that same time-source as your iPhone, or does it receive an "adjusted" time via cable?

How much of the "lag" is caused by the transmission from CNN studios to the stationary orbiting satellite, and then back down to Shaw's ground-based satellite dish?

Do you see any difference in "lag" between watching a show in Standard Definition versus High Definition?

Remember that Shaw "compresses" some TV feeds, and the Shaw TV box has to decompress the feed. Will that cause "lag" ?

Do you have a friend who is attending the game in person, and can "Facetime" with you, at home, watching your TV?

Or, stand outside the Canucks' arena, while watching a stream of the game on your iPhone, while listening for the horn that is triggered for each Canucks goal.  How much "lag" ?

0 Kudos

Plus there is the standard 7 second broadcast delay. I be...

rstra
Grand Master

Plus there is the standard 7 second broadcast delay. I believe that the latency is more on IPTV than regular cable. Before BlueCurve I was watching a hockey game on my Gateway and my neighbour, who has Telus Optik, was watching the same game. I could hear him cheering about 5 seconds after I saw a goal.

0 Kudos

On BlueCurve TV I am seeing the CNN time ticker lagging 4...

srglassw
Grasshopper

On BlueCurve TV I am seeing the CNN time ticker lagging 40 seconds behind my Virgin Mobile (Bell) phone time. My phone time is pretty near exactly the same as clock.zone exact time. The time on Shaw's BlueCurve TV menu lags 63 seconds behind the exact time.

-- on my Shaw Gateway PVR, The Weather Network's clock is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mondoguitar -- on my Shaw Gateway PVR, The Weather Network's clock is 10 seconds behind my iPhone's clock, and CBC News Network (in HD) is about 7 seconds behind.

For the most-recent broadcast of the Canucks, if there was a 7-second-delay, it was not working when I heard a player *uck me swear at himself for not scoring.

0 Kudos

About a 30 second delay

omar222
Grasshopper

Yes, watching sports is about 25 to 30 seconds behind all my friends TV.  We are always messaging during games these days given COVID and goals are constantly spoiled because there feed is way ahead of my TV Feed.  My friend who lives basically on the same street has an older coax version of SHAW and we have verified the difference and it is substantial.

I finally went to the weather channel with the time and checked it out to my cell phone and it is 25 seconds at least. 

I wondered why my New Year's celebration was way off this year and didn't realize it until I started watching hockey.  At New Year's we were watching the ball drop and my daughter comes in the room and says, it already happened and shows her phone.

Can this be fixed or do I switch back to old shaw or Bell that just installed FIBE on the street?

Brad

Yesterday evening, the SportsNet web-site for their AM 65...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Yesterday evening, the SportsNet web-site for their AM 650 was doing an audio-only feed of the Canucks win over Edmonton. It lagged about 25 seconds behind the SportsNet HD TV broadcast (on my Gateway PVR). I did not try using my over-the-air AM radio. Maybe, next time.

I have to concur it is about 30 seconds but it does vary....

masterd9778
Grasshopper

I have to concur it is about 30 seconds but it does vary.  I have a Budweiser Red light for hockey games.  It always goes on way before a goal on TV.  Then when you think you have delay set on the red light and it completely changes.  Didn’t have this issue before blue curve TV.

I hate to say this but if you are a sports fan don’t get...

Kklimack
Grasshopper

I hate to say this but if you are a sports fan don’t get Shaw Blue Curve.   You will be 30 seconds behind your friends at all times and have every goal, touchdown and outcome spoiled for you.  

I called Shaw about this and was told their satellite feeds are just behind and it is what it is.  Not very helpful but if it is what it is it won’t be changing anytime soon.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help