Cable box keeps shutting down and turning back on for both tvs, not a chord issue

AlexPeekay
Grasshopper

Both my cable boxes have been constantly shutting down  saying to check device power (which it has) and to check hdmi cable connection (which it has) then it comes back after a minute or so, then proceeds to turn off again right away. I have checked the cables and this is not the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Labels (1)
12 Replies

-- are the two Shaw boxes connected to the same power-bar...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AlexPeekay -- are the two Shaw boxes connected to the same power-bar, or to the same wall-plug, and thus to the same circuit-breaker in your home?

If you connect a lit-up lamp to the same power-bar, does it also go off when the cable-modem goes off?

If you connect the Shaw devices to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), does that help?

When you contacted Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) did the Shaw Agent remotely connect to your cable-modem, to see if the "internal" statistics of their device show any issue?  Did the Agent offer to ship (via Canada Post) a replacement cable-modem to you?

0 Kudos

they are connected to different outlets in different area...

AlexPeekay
Grasshopper

@mdk they are connected to different outlets in different areas of the home.  The TVs themselves are plugged into the same outlet and have had no issues. 

They said the connection was showing as weak even after resetting the modem a couple times. Which is surprising as I have never had issues before with them since September. They did mention it seemed they were overheating a bit, but that would a shaw problem and not a me problem. They did not offer to ship a replacement, instead they need someone to come verify the issues in person. 

0 Kudos

Which cable boxes do you have?

rstra
Grand Master

@AlexPeekay 

Which cable boxes do you have?

0 Kudos

The newer 4k wireless ones that are quite small.

AlexPeekay
Grasshopper

The newer 4k wireless ones that are quite small. 

0 Kudos

It is likely a signal related issue between those boxes a...

rstra
Grand Master

@AlexPeekay 

It is likely a signal related issue between those boxes and the XB6/7 or from the street to the XB6/7. I don’t think a it is a hardware issue and I would request a service call.

0 Kudos

-- They did mention it seemed they were overheating a bit...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AlexPeekay -- They did mention it seemed they were overheating a bit, but that would a Shaw problem and not a me problem.

Do you have good airflow near the boxes, or is there something (wall, cabinet) that it restricting the out-flow of warm air from the boxes?

They did not offer to ship a replacement, instead they need someone to come verify the issues in person. 

Sounds reasonable.  Yes, "weak" signal-strength can trigger problems.  The technician may cut-off the connectors, and put new connectors on each coaxial-cable. With the correct tools, that is quick to do.

Please keep us informed.

0 Kudos

The box is behind by tv in a recess in the wall (for both...

AlexPeekay
Grasshopper

@mdk The box is behind by tv in a recess in the wall (for both tvs) as we have the frame tv so everything is hidden behind the tv. Weird though how this is only becoming an issue now and we have had everything set up the same since September. 

0 Kudos

I have a similar issue where occasionally I'll be watchin...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

I have a similar issue where occasionally I'll be watching TV, and the screen will go black for a minute or two with no response from any inputs on the remote.  When it starts to register a response from a remote input, I get the error code RDK-03117 saying there's a connection issue even though my modem isn't indicating any connection problem.  

In fact, the issue *just* happened, and it's what prompted my response just now.  

0 Kudos

To make things more interesting, I can adjust the volume,...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

To make things more interesting, I can adjust the volume, but I cannot get into the guide or settings right now...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help