CNN and other Digital channels breaking up

spiritwest
Grasshopper

This all started in October - for a couple of nights a week, CNN would become totally unwatchable - on both of my cable connections upstairs and downstairs.  Then it happened to some shows we recorded on CTV Drama (formerly Bravo) Showcase and Discovery.  Now it is happening about 4 out of 7 nights a week.  I pay extra for CNN, Bravo, Discovery and Showcase, and am beginning to think of switching to Telus or Rogers.  I am also sick of having my PVR randomly cancel upcoming recordings.  I would have agreed that if it was on one channel and one Connection, that it may be my equipment (even though it clears itself up for a few days a week - recognise sarcasm when you see it).  I want to know why I am paying for this crappy signal, when I can probably get it on some streaming service somewhere...

Labels (1)
7 Replies

@spiritwest We have some troubleshooting steps on this pa...

shaw-valerie

@spiritwest We have some troubleshooting steps on this page to try to resolve the reception issues that you are seeing. If that does not resolve the problem, get in touch with our technical support team here so they can run some further testing to your equipment and setup a service appointment if needed. 

0 Kudos

I went to that page and looked at the stupidest video exa...

spiritwest
Grasshopper

I went to that page and looked at the stupidest video example anyone could ever conceive of.  I do not have a splitter attached upstairs - it is connected directly to the cable that comes out of the wall.  The PVR that we have downstairs is where we record everything, including the movie channels, CTV Drama, etc.  And this started in October, then seemed to be fixed for awhile, and now it is worse than ever.  I will be demanding that Shaw prorate my bill, and I have re-booted both boxes several times.  That does not work so I will endeavor to contact the tech support team - not having a lot of luck with that either.  On live chat, they referred me to second level support twice, and after 45 minutes of waiting I gave up both times.  I may just have to switch providers...

0 Kudos

I have been having this exact problem for multiple months...

hugheshome
Grasshopper

I have been having this exact problem for multiple months. After speaking to the Shaw wonderful support team, and convincing them I wasn't an idiot on both occasions they sent a technician to my house.  First time he cam in, looked over everything and said I needed a booster (apparently they can tell this at the shaw office).  This worked for about a week.  The next time they also noticed an anomoly(only after I, once again, convinced them I wasn't an idiot and rebooting, or signal stealing, or multiple splitters weren't the issue.  You think they'd keep a record of the conversation).  They sent out another technician, who immediately said the booster was the source of my issue and rI moved it. This worked for about 1 day.  I called, yet again, complaining that the only channels I want, the ones I pay extra for, are the ones that pixelate, or just give a message about "we are having trouble on our end".  He gave me a small discount.  Still not fixed. I am also on the verge of switching providers.  

0 Kudos

When I finally got a tech to come out, first he replaced...

spiritwest
Grasshopper

When I finally got a tech to come out, first he replaced the cables that went to the TV Boxes and that did nothing at all.  The signal was reading strong in the house, so he went outside to the pedestal and tested something.  He said that there were many errors and corrections coming from there and that would have be fixed separately, either at the pedestal or from Shaw.  Well, three days later, someone did something and I haven't had a problem since - that was around mid to late December...

0 Kudos

are you noticing issues with live TV only or are PVR reco...

shaw-tony

@hugheshome are you noticing issues with live TV only or are PVR recordings affected as well? Are the channels pixelating or does the video go black while the sound continues to play? Checking your account, I do notice some poor signal to your equipment and some errors showing up. I would recommend a senior technician to further investigate this. Feel free to send me a direct message so we can get one scheduled.

0 Kudos

I have exactly the same issue and it has been going on fo...

mm1920
Grasshopper

I have exactly the same issue and it has been going on for months.  How can I tell if I need to have my equipment checked?  It happens even if I pvr it to watch later.

0 Kudos

mm1920 - please see my reply above - a technicial noticed...

spiritwest
Grasshopper

mm1920 - please see my reply above - a technicial noticed a lot of errors and corrections at the pedestal, but it had to be fixed either at Shaw or the pedestal, but that he could not do it.  But it got fixed akbout 3 days later...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help