Colour Too Saturated On 4K HDR

kenohrn
Grasshopper

I've got BlueCurve with an XG1-v4a 4K HDR box. The Shaw 4K HDR sports channels show colours that seem a little "hot" unlike Netflix' Squid Game, also in 4K HDR, which looks normal. Standard HD broadcasts, including sports, have excellent colour.

To me, an experienced photog, it looks like the saturation is too high. Not much, but noticeable. Players' faces look too red; uniform colours (especially red elements) are way too strong.

I noticed this on 4K HDR baseball and hockey broadcasts from Toronto and baseball from Los Angeles.

The TV set is a recent Sony Bravia with colour settings at "Standard", which results in excellent colour on HD broadcasts.

29 Replies

-- The TV set is a recent Sony Bravia ...  it looks like...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kenohrn -- The TV set is a recent Sony Bravia ...  it looks like the saturation is too high.

What options does the OSD (On Screen Display) for your TV offer for "saturation" ? Is that a different setting than "colour" ?

What are the settings on the TV when you have it set to "...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

What are the settings on the TV when you have it set to "Standard" (i.e. brightness, contrast, etc...)? And what are they when you are watching 4K content (because those numbers do change)? 

I would suggest looking at the Rtings site, find their review of the model of Sony TV you have, and if they share their calibration settings for your TV, mimic them.  

0 Kudos

I also have encountered the same symptoms on both of my l...

daleshort
Grasshopper

I also have encountered the same symptoms on both of my late model Sony televisions when viewing the new 4K sports content via blue curve boxes. Although video settings on the TVs can impact the display, 4K content streamed via the smart TV services such as Netflix display fine. The problem appears to be limited to the 4K blue curve content.

I have the exact same problem on a Vizio 4K TV, so it is...

Fernand2
Grasshopper

I have the exact same problem on a Vizio 4K TV, so it is not a Sony only problem. I only get the Rogers 4K channels so don't know if same happens on TSN 4K

0 Kudos

I wonder if this is a problem at the source? I remember t...

rstra
Grand Master

I wonder if this is a problem at the source? I remember the early Canucks home games in HD had brutal colour problems. 

0 Kudos

I would still look at the settings on your TV - the first...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

I would still look at the settings on your TV - the first thing I would check is to make sure that the HDMI Signal Format is set to Enhanced Format, not Standard Format.  I would then check to make sure the correct HDR mode is selected (usually Auto is fine), and the Color Space setting is correct (usually Auto is fine here, too).  

EDIT:

I just flipped on TSN 4k and SportsNet 4k, and the colour is fine on my Sony XBR55X900E TV.

0 Kudos

This is not his settings, my tv is professionally calibra...

ampm
Grasshopper

This is not his settings, my tv is professionally calibrated and I get the same results. Every stream and broadcast is fine except for sportsnet 4k broadcast, which is highly saturated reds.

Any resolution? I just turned on sports net 4K for the fi...

GVP1
Grasshopper

Any resolution? I just turned on sports net 4K for the first time today and noticed the same thing! 

It's fine on my 4K TV.

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

@ampm

It's fine on my 4K TV.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help