Did something change on the Gateway?

larry227
Grasshopper

I bought a new Samsung 4K smart tv a few months ago. It found my Gateway box immediately when I plugged it into HDMI1 and everything worked fine from the Samsung remote. I could change channels and view the program guide all with the Samsung remote.
Then all of a sudden a couple weeks ago I'm watching Netflix and go back to the Home screen on the tv and the shortcut for the Shaw box was gone. I can get back to it now if I go through my Source menu on the tv but it shows as an unknown source and when I try to program the Samsung remote to it I'm not able to because Shaw doesn't show up as one of the providers on the list they show. Subsequently the Samsung remote won't change channels now will it show the Gateway program guide. It works fine with the Shaw remote but I've never been able to pair it with the tv so now I have to use the Shaw remote to change channels and the Samsung remote to change volume. I'm just not a big fan of having to use two remotes.
I know it may very well be a Samsung issue but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue. So far I'm getting no help on the Samsung discussion board. 

Labels (1)
7 Replies

-- I have to use the Shaw remote to change channels and t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@larry227 -- I have to use the Shaw remote to change channels and the Samsung remote to change volume

It should be possible to program the Shaw remote-control to link a few of its buttons (source/input, volume, mute, on/off) to your TV.

See a Shaw web-site for detailed instructions for the BlueCurve remote.

See a Shaw web-site for detailed instructions for the various Gateway remotes.

0 Kudos

Similar occurrence for me once. I had to re - map the rem...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@larry227 -- I have to use the Shaw remote to change channels and the Samsung remote to change volume

It should be possible to program the Shaw remote-control to link a few of its buttons (source/input, volume, mute, on/off) to your TV.

See a Shaw web-site for detailed instructions for the BlueCurve remote.

See a Shaw web-site for detailed instructions for the various Gateway remotes.

Similar occurrence for me once. I had to re - map the remote/tv setting. Never did figure out what caused it. The fix wasn’t hard. 

I went to the links and tried the Samsung codes and the r...

larry227
Grasshopper

I went to the links and tried the Samsung codes and the remote only accepts a couple of them which do not work. What I mean by accept is after I put the 4 digit code and the power button is supposed to flash twice it only does that on a couple of the codes and those don't work. When I try the rest of the codes on the list it does not flash the power button twice after the 4th digit is input. 

0 Kudos

-- which remote-control are you trying to configure? From...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@larry227 -- which remote-control are you trying to configure?

From the instructions above, for some of the Shaw (not Samsung) remote-controls, the "double-flash" must occur at the beginning of the sequence, and there are no "codes" to enter -- one just repeats pushing the same button until the TV powers-off.

0 Kudos

The remote for the Gateway is the one I'm trying to confi...

larry227
Grasshopper

The remote for the Gateway is the one I'm trying to configure to turn the tv off/on.
tv3.JPG

0 Kudos

I could have written this myself. Identical experience. T...

khay
Grasshopper

I could have written this myself. Identical experience. Three calls to Shaw in the last week. It all fell apart 3 weeks ago. Shaw people were helpful but to no avail. The last solution was to put a new remote in the mail. I said it goes beyond that. We shall see. Shaw have changed something but their phone people either don't know or won't admit it. Working around these remotes this way is a pain. The Samsung remote now works with this crappy Samsung TV PLUS which I want nothing to do with. Any solutions, I would love to hesr them.

0 Kudos

-- The last solution was to put a new remote in the mail....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@khay -- The last solution was to put a new remote in the mail.

Experiment: try the new batteries that come with it in your current remote control.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help