Jump to solution

Gateway vs blue curve vs blue sky?

mikeer
Grasshopper

The names are confusing and the website doesn't seem to have the answers. I currently have a gateway with 3 portals and a standalone hd box. Previously with bluesky, you couldn't mix & match desktop boxes so you had to upgrade everything which wouldnt work in our scenario. Is Bluecurve the new wireless iptv or is it the same as Bluesky (just renamed)?  The website no longer has an tv equipment page and I can't see what comes with the new system. Can you mix & match? What is the pvr size?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Blue Curve is a rebranding of BlueSky. Same hardware and...

rickatk
Master

Blue Curve is a rebranding of BlueSky.

Same hardware and specs as before.

Closed system. You can’t  mix Gateway gear with BlueSky /Blue Curve Gear.

Gateway is based on the QAM (RF) standard. Blue Sky and Blue Curve is based on a hybrid IPTV/Quam standard.

There is also 4K and wireless offerings with Blue Curve gear. No mix and match though.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Jump to solution

Blue Curve is a rebranding of BlueSky. Same hardware and...

rickatk
Master

Blue Curve is a rebranding of BlueSky.

Same hardware and specs as before.

Closed system. You can’t  mix Gateway gear with BlueSky /Blue Curve Gear.

Gateway is based on the QAM (RF) standard. Blue Sky and Blue Curve is based on a hybrid IPTV/Quam standard.

There is also 4K and wireless offerings with Blue Curve gear. No mix and match though.

Jump to solution

That is not true at Blue Curve is the rebranded Blue Sky...

dennisrobinson
Grasshopper

That is not true at Blue Curve is the rebranded Blue Sky it's simpler but not the same. Curve is more for streaming not so much for watching TV, you have no memory, so then you jumping between two channels you can't rewind as you can with Sky. With Sky you can watch two shows at one time like to news channels or two of your favorites shows you can pulse change channel and watch the other then go back unpulse first show an watch on.

That is only the beginning of the lost options by going to Blue Curve. I would go back to Blue Sky in a flash if I had the chance, Sky wins best system hands down.

P.S. I miss the clock alot.

Jump to solution

You have BlueSky confused with the gateway system. BlueSk...

rstra
Grand Master

You have BlueSky confused with the gateway system. BlueSky doesn’t allow you to pause and flip back and forth between channels. The gateway allows you to do that, BlueSky and BlueCurve are the same, except customers in certain areas have cloud capabilities with their BlueCurve equipment. 

Jump to solution

To add: Gateway is a QAM based RF system. Think analogue....

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

You have BlueSky confused with the gateway system. BlueSky doesn’t allow you to pause and flip back and forth between channels. The gateway allows you to do that, BlueSky and BlueCurve are the same, except customers in certain areas have cloud capabilities with their BlueCurve equipment. 

To add: Gateway is a QAM based RF system. Think analogue. The channel /  dual tuner features are mostly local based in the hardware.

Blue Sky / Blue Curve is pretty much an IPTV solution. You can either have a master tuner and satellites connected by coaxial which has elements of the older QAM platform or complete wireless which is full IPTV. This is the platform of the future. I do agree  BlueCurve is closer to streaming than the older dual tuner, PVR  picture in picture stuff of the 90’s

Jump to solution

So do I add more Gateway equipment or should I now move f...

shep
Grasshopper

So do I add more Gateway equipment or should I now move from Gateway to Blue Curve/Blue Sky?  We PVR a lot and watch TV and I don't believe we stream.

I am not sure which to do unless they are phasing out Gateway soon and once again I will lose my investment in the Shaw Equipment world.

S

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Gateway is a QAM based RF system. Think analogue. The...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- Gateway is a QAM based RF system. Think analogue. The channel /  dual tuner features 

The Shaw Gateway has SIX tuners.

@dennisrobinson -- Curve ... [has] no memory, so then you jumping between two channels you can't rewind 

Press the RECORD button before jumping to the second program, and press RECORD again before jumping back to the original program, to get full "rewind" capabilities on both programs.

@shep -- I will lose my investment in the Shaw Equipment world

I "rent" my Shaw Gateway PVR, for a net price, after discount, of $0.00/month.  So, no "investment" for me.  🙂

Jump to solution

I believe Gateway will eventually disappear. It’s an old...

rickatk
Master

@shep wrote:

So do I add more Gateway equipment or should I now move from Gateway to Blue Curve/Blue Sky?  We PVR a lot and watch TV and I don't believe we stream.

I am not sure which to do unless they are phasing out Gateway soon and once again I will lose my investment in the Shaw Equipment world.

S

I believe the older Shaw Gateway will eventually disappear. It’s an old platform and quickly becoming obsolete. BlueCurve Gateway works using Internet Protocol and gives you the option of corded and cordless boxes. The PVR functions in BlueCurve are now Cloud based. I haven’t researched how much space you are given in the cloud for your recorded shows. People have commented that the BlueCurve PVR lack some of the Shaw Gateway PVR capabilities.

Jump to solution

Shaw Gateway v Shaw Blue Sky v Shaw Blue Curve.

rickatk
Master

@mikeer  wrote: 

The names are confusing and the website doesn't seem to have the answers. I currently have a gateway with 3 portals and a standalone hd box. Previously with bluesky, you couldn't mix & match desktop boxes so you had to upgrade everything which wouldnt work in our scenario. Is Bluecurve the new wireless iptv or is it the same as Bluesky (just renamed)?  The website no longer has an tv equipment page and I can't see what comes with the new system. Can you mix & match? What is the pvr size?

Shaw Gateway: an industry developed QAM/RF based technology. Analogue based technology that is headed towards obsolescence. Users report that the PVR functions are better than the Bluesky and Blue Curve offerings. TV boxes are connected by cable.

Shaw BlueSky: Blended QAM /RF and internet based technologies(IPTV). No longer offered by Shaw and has been replaced by BlueCurve. PVR recording functions still done locally on a tuner. TV boxes are connected by cable.Technology is licensed from Comcast.

Shaw Blue Curve: Full IPTV standard. Great for streaming. Cloud based PVR services. Some people report dissatisfaction for less storage capacity. The router/modem of often referred to as a “gateway.” This device does it all: cable modem, wifi router and telephone. TV boxes are connected by cable or wireless(streaming).

Technology is licensed from Comcast. 

Jump to solution

I believe all the updates have now gone out to all BlueCu...

rstra
Grand Master

I believe all the updates have now gone out to all BlueCurve boxes, so everyone should be seeing the enhancements now.

TALK TO US
We're here to help