How Does Upgrading to 4K Boxes Work Exactly?

Inland
Grasshopper

Now that some 4K channels exist how does upgrading to a 4K box work exactly?

Are you supposed to pay extra or can you exchange current cable boxes for the 4K version for the same current monthly subscription?

I contacted support and they were so confused. Tech support sent me to sales, sales sent me back to tech support and no one knew what to do. I ended up just bailing on them after an hour of my time wasted.

I was told by sales it would cost $5/month more to get 4K, but then they changed their mind and sent me back to tech support to do an exchange.

I was told you can only use one wired 4K box and can't mix with the wireless version. BlueCurve TV Player | Wireless 4K (Xi6) or BlueCurve TV Player | 4K (XG1v4).

If you have multiple 4K TV's do they either have to all use wired or wireless versions of the same 4K box then? Can you have two wired 4K boxes? My current setup is one wired main box and then a wireless box for the other TV the non-4k boxes for Bluesky TV.

Anyone that's made the switch can fill me in on how it actually works?

Labels (1)
5 Replies

If you have signed a 2-year Value Plan, we can waive the...

shaw-daniel

@Inland If you have signed a 2-year Value Plan, we can waive the rental fee for 2 x 4K wireless BlueCurve (Xi6) players. Otherwise, there is a $15/month for the 1st  player, and $5/month for the additional player ( up to 6 players per cable account). If you've multiple 4K TV, it's better to use the wireless Xi6 players to ensure that you can receive 4K signals on all of your 4K TV. Wired BlueCurve portals (Xid) can only receive cable signals up to 1080p only.

Hi Daniel.  I’m currently on the legacy Gateway system....

Spatch
Grasshopper

@shaw-daniel 

Hi Daniel.  I’m currently on the legacy Gateway system.  If I were to upgrade to Bluecurve would I need to replace all the Gateway boxes with Bluecurve boxes? Or could I just replace the boxes where there’s a 4K tv?  I’m assuming the two systems can’t “coexist” together (i.e. all boxes would need replacing) but would like to confirm.

Would I get wireless boxes for all tvs or just the 4K tvs and the wired boxes for the rest?

I have four tvs, 2 4K and 2 regular HD.  You say the first two Bluecurve boxes would be free (I’m on a 2 year plan), what would the second two boxes cost monthly?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos

You would be replacing everything. The old Gateway platfo...

rickatk
Master

@Spatch wrote:

@shaw-daniel 

Hi Daniel.  I’m currently on the legacy Gateway system.  If I were to upgrade to Bluecurve would I need to replace all the Gateway boxes with Bluecurve boxes? Or could I just replace the boxes where there’s a 4K tv?  I’m assuming the two systems can’t “coexist” together (i.e. all boxes would need replacing) but would like to confirm.

Would I get wireless boxes for all tvs or just the 4K tvs and the wired boxes for the rest?

I have four tvs, 2 4K and 2 regular HD.  You say the first two Bluecurve boxes would be free (I’m on a 2 year plan), what would the second two boxes cost monthly?

Thanks for your time.

You would be replacing everything. The old Gateway platform is different than the BlueCurve platform in just about every way. You can choose a wired BlueCurve system using XB4 boxes and a head unit with physical PVR or do all wireless with the XB6 boxes. You will also require a new modem/router. 

0 Kudos

adding this older discussion because I'm in the process o...

biglar
Grasshopper

adding this older discussion because I'm in the process of adding an additional Xi6 module for a new tv install. I presently have 3 Xi6's installed. My value plan bill says 1st box 29.52, 2nd 9.84, 3rd 9.84. They is a rental promotion of -39,36 meaning I pay 9.84 total rental per month for 3 Xi6's. But my question is where did the 29.52 for the 1st box come from? Or the 9.84 for 2nd and 3rd Xi6?

I've now been quoted for an additional 4th box both 5 dollars per month and 15 dollars per month, which is right? 

0 Kudos

-- I'm in the process of adding .... My value plan bill s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@biglar -- I'm in the process of adding .... My value plan bill says 1st box 29.52, 2nd 9.84, 3rd 9.84. 

When you change anything with Shaw, except on your monthly "anniversary" date, Shaw will adjust your account in "mid-stream".

For example, if you make changes on the 10th day after your anniversary, and remove anything, you will be charged only for the 10 days that you had that service. When you add anything, you will not be charged for the 10 days where you did not have that service.  So, as you have observed, those "partial-month" charges will be oddball numbers.

Logon to the My Shaw Portal, and scroll-down to view all the "Transactions" for the last 3 months. You will see all those "adds" and "removes".

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help