Jump to solution

HUNT Continues to Display on My PVR Screen

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

This has been happening on and off for the past couple years.  Just when I think it's been rectified, it hasn't.  For the past couple weeks HUNT has been displaying on my PVR Screen nearly constantly.  

I've often tried all the tips suggested to me from the Shaw Chat staff such as unscrewing the coaxial cables followed by unplugging the PVR power cord for around 10 min's, then screwing the coaxial cables back in and plugging the power cord back in.   I tried these steps yet once again last night and no luck.  And now my PVR Guide has barely reloaded at all after nearly 24 hours since I did the unscrewing/unplugging thing last night.

Because of the covid-19 virus I don't want to have anyone come into my house and Shaw techs probably aren't providing this service now anyway due to the virus.  So.....has anyone figured out why the HUNT word continues to display on my PVR screen?  Thanks so much for any help.  

Labels (1)
8 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

HUNT is due to poor signal on the cable. Make sure all th...

rstra
Grand Master

HUNT is due to poor signal on the cable. Make sure all the connections are secure, are there any splitters that you can see? A technician could make sure everything is ok at the tap and cse on the outside and rule that out as the problem. 

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thanks for getting back to me rstra with your suggestion....

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks for getting back to me rstra with your suggestion.  All my connections are secure, I make sure they are every time I try a fix by unscrewing the coaxial from the back of my PVR along with unplugging the power cord.  Half an hour ago I tried this once again so I'll see what happens over this evening hours.  

Yes, there is a splitter cable, the coaxial that screws into the back of my PVR and a cable beside it that screws into my modem for my internet.  I've never unscrewed the coaxial cable at the wall by the splitter for fear of losing internet.  As I said, I do unscrew the coaxial from the back of my PVR when I'm attempting a fix.  

I'm going to see if my PVR Guide will start reloading, it hasn't reloaded for the past 2 days which was when I tried the above fix as I have many times.  

If I still have no luck, are Shaw technicians still coming to houses to assist with problems such as you mentioned in your reply that a tech could check to make sure everything is ok at the tap and cse on the outside?  I'll let you know how I make out in another post here tomorrow.   

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

As far as I know, they will still come by to check the ou...

rstra
Grand Master

As far as I know, they will still come by to check the outside connections. If it is a 2way splitter, with the one side connected to your modem, it would be interesting to see what the levels are there. Do you have any other cable boxes or Shaw phone?

Jump to solution

Darn HUNT is still displaying after my having just attemp...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Darn HUNT is still displaying after my having just attempted another fix to no avail 😞  I don't have any other cable boxes but I do have Shaw phone.   And my internet has always worked great.  I'll keep you in the loop, rstra, and thanks again for your help.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No problem and I just texted a technician and he said yes...

rstra
Grand Master

No problem and I just texted a technician and he said yes, they are doing service calls from the outside. Not sure what they are doing about equipment swaps, should have asked.

Jump to solution

Yes, if the equipment needs to be replaced, they leave yo...

rstra
Grand Master

Yes, if the equipment needs to be replaced, they leave you a replacement pvr and you mail back the other one, but if you can hold off for now, all the better.

Jump to solution

wrote: What does "equipment swaps" mean?   Is it about if...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@merrymermaid  wrote:

What does "equipment swaps" mean?   Is it about if I need a new PVR? 

Yes. During the current COVID-19 pandemic, Shaw will give you two choices:

1. they will ship a replacement from their Distribution Centre to your front door,
  2. a technician will drop (well not really) it to your front door, but will not enter your home.

#1 usually takes a week for order-fulfilment and then for Canada Post shipping.

#2 now takes much longer, because technicians are giving priority to "no service" customers, instead of "not perfect" customers.

> I'd prefer to hang tight and wait until the virus is under control before I have a tech come over.

That could be a few months. Much quicker: if Shaw ships you an identical unit, as they should, it should be easy for you to "self-connect" -- put the replacement on top of the current one, and then move the cables, one-at-a-time, from one device to the other, and then physically remove the current one, and ship it back to Shaw.

Jump to solution

Thanks ever so much again, rstra, for your suggestions....

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks ever so much again, rstra, for your suggestions.  That's what I'm going to do ~ hold off for now over these "uncertain" times.  At present my PVR Guide is reloading and I'm getting all my channels great.  Patience is a virtue, eh 😉  Happy Easter wishes 🙂  

12 Replies
Jump to solution

HUNT is due to poor signal on the cable. Make sure all th...

rstra
Grand Master

HUNT is due to poor signal on the cable. Make sure all the connections are secure, are there any splitters that you can see? A technician could make sure everything is ok at the tap and cse on the outside and rule that out as the problem. 

Jump to solution

Thanks for getting back to me rstra with your suggestion....

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks for getting back to me rstra with your suggestion.  All my connections are secure, I make sure they are every time I try a fix by unscrewing the coaxial from the back of my PVR along with unplugging the power cord.  Half an hour ago I tried this once again so I'll see what happens over this evening hours.  

Yes, there is a splitter cable, the coaxial that screws into the back of my PVR and a cable beside it that screws into my modem for my internet.  I've never unscrewed the coaxial cable at the wall by the splitter for fear of losing internet.  As I said, I do unscrew the coaxial from the back of my PVR when I'm attempting a fix.  

I'm going to see if my PVR Guide will start reloading, it hasn't reloaded for the past 2 days which was when I tried the above fix as I have many times.  

If I still have no luck, are Shaw technicians still coming to houses to assist with problems such as you mentioned in your reply that a tech could check to make sure everything is ok at the tap and cse on the outside?  I'll let you know how I make out in another post here tomorrow.   

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

As far as I know, they will still come by to check the ou...

rstra
Grand Master

As far as I know, they will still come by to check the outside connections. If it is a 2way splitter, with the one side connected to your modem, it would be interesting to see what the levels are there. Do you have any other cable boxes or Shaw phone?

Jump to solution

Darn HUNT is still displaying after my having just attemp...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Darn HUNT is still displaying after my having just attempted another fix to no avail 😞  I don't have any other cable boxes but I do have Shaw phone.   And my internet has always worked great.  I'll keep you in the loop, rstra, and thanks again for your help.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No problem and I just texted a technician and he said yes...

rstra
Grand Master

No problem and I just texted a technician and he said yes, they are doing service calls from the outside. Not sure what they are doing about equipment swaps, should have asked.

Jump to solution

Thanks once again for helping me out, rstra.  I just chec...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks once again for helping me out, rstra.  I just checked my PVR Guide and Praise The Lord it's reloading fast 🙂   I'll keep an eye on the HUNT but tonight I'm ignoring it and going to do some reading.  

What does "equipment swaps" mean?  Is it about if I need a new PVR?  I'd prefer to hang tight and wait until the virus is under control before I have a tech come over seeing that I'm no spring chick 😉   So for now I'm thankful to have TV and this isn't any cause for upset when I see what's going on around the world.  Have a nice Easter weekend, rstra, hope you can get out for some walks.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, if the equipment needs to be replaced, they leave yo...

rstra
Grand Master

Yes, if the equipment needs to be replaced, they leave you a replacement pvr and you mail back the other one, but if you can hold off for now, all the better.

Jump to solution

wrote: What does "equipment swaps" mean?   Is it about if...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@merrymermaid  wrote:

What does "equipment swaps" mean?   Is it about if I need a new PVR? 

Yes. During the current COVID-19 pandemic, Shaw will give you two choices:

1. they will ship a replacement from their Distribution Centre to your front door,
  2. a technician will drop (well not really) it to your front door, but will not enter your home.

#1 usually takes a week for order-fulfilment and then for Canada Post shipping.

#2 now takes much longer, because technicians are giving priority to "no service" customers, instead of "not perfect" customers.

> I'd prefer to hang tight and wait until the virus is under control before I have a tech come over.

That could be a few months. Much quicker: if Shaw ships you an identical unit, as they should, it should be easy for you to "self-connect" -- put the replacement on top of the current one, and then move the cables, one-at-a-time, from one device to the other, and then physically remove the current one, and ship it back to Shaw.

Jump to solution

Thanks ever so much again, rstra, for your suggestions....

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks ever so much again, rstra, for your suggestions.  That's what I'm going to do ~ hold off for now over these "uncertain" times.  At present my PVR Guide is reloading and I'm getting all my channels great.  Patience is a virtue, eh 😉  Happy Easter wishes 🙂  

TALK TO US
We're here to help