Need advice on looking for a Shaw cable box

SantaManBun
Grasshopper

Weird question here but I want to buy a Shaw cable (whether PVR or not) I'm trying to figure how to place an ad that saying that I'm ooking for one, but it seems somewhat confusing, how can I do that?, Thanks 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Can you not find one currently for sale on the various we...

rstra
Grand Master

Can you not find one currently for sale on the various websites? When you find one, contact Shaw to make sure it is ok to transfer to your account,

0 Kudos

Yes I've been looking online but not sure where I can loo...

SantaManBun
Grasshopper

Yes I've been looking online but not sure where I can look maybe eBay or kiiji perhaps,? I doubt Amazon would carry them

0 Kudos

Yes Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook markeplace. just stay aw...

rstra
Grand Master

Yes Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook markeplace. just stay away away from these boxes as they are retired or are soon to be retired:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-legacy-tv-box-upgrade-program/ta-p/9242#top

0 Kudos

I have one that should do the job. Motorola DCX3200-mp3....

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

Can you not find one currently for sale on the various websites? When you find one, contact Shaw to make sure it is ok to transfer to your account,

I have one that should do the job. Motorola DCX3200-mp3. Ownership is ready for transfer.  EM on this site me I will send you the particulars. 

0 Kudos

-- where? Access www.used.ca and drill-down to the site f...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SantaManBun -- where?

Access www.used.ca and drill-down to the site for your city/town, or one nearby. Some sites are very-popular; some are not.

I see many "I switched to TELUS, and I want to sell my Shaw hardware" listings.

Given some complaints about the BlueCurve PVR on this forum, I would look for a Shaw Gateway PVR. Note that the first version of the Gateway PVR did not have a HDMI output port; it requires a separate "player" box to connect to HDMI-input on your TV.

In your home, note that you cannot mix a BlueCurve PVR with a non-BlueCurve PVR (that you already have) on one Shaw account. Plus, I don't think that Shaw "sells" the BlueCurve PVR -- all units are "rentals".

Get the serial-number from the seller, before you buy, and verify it with Shaw.

Some boxes are "rentals" -- not "owned" by the seller.

A seller may owe Shaw some money.

A seller may have obtained the PVR from a "Thrift Store", without ever trying to activate it, and wants to "flip it" to you, at their profit.

0 Kudos

-- where are you? For $10, here is a Shaw Gateway, with r...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SantaManBun -- where are you?

For $10, here is a Shaw Gateway, with remote control and Portal. Listed on May 4th, and presumably still available in the West Shore (not West Bank) area of BC. Do a search on that site, to try to find other "Shaw Gateway" boxes, at a distance from you.

0 Kudos

Thank you for all tour replies and feedback....since I do...

SantaManBun
Grasshopper

Thank you for all tour replies and feedback....since I don’t watch much tv nor do I record programs or anything all I really need is a HD box (non PVR), but apparently when I ask the agents they say they are out of stock & contact them in a week...I guess saving money is the thing too since I’m on limited income...oh & really streaming stuff doesn’t really get you much except maybe Netflix (I do have a Fire TV) but having basic cable would be nice..,.& i do have Bluecurve wireless cable box but it’s $15 per month rental whereas I the past when I had a regular HD box (non PVR) I was only paying $5 rental....I feel Shaw is really trying to get all the customers to get the Bluecurve wireless cable box & not really interested in us who prefer the regular cable boxes (I also once tried the gateway HDPVR but found it complicated to set up and activate and use.

0 Kudos

-- I don’t watch much tv nor do I record programs or anyt...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SantaManBun -- I don’t watch much tv nor do I record programs or anything all I really need is a HD box (non PVR)

Just because you have a PVR, you don't need to record anything.

But, having a PVR means that you can "rewind" a live program, to re-watch the last (multiple of) 15 seconds, e.g., replay of a Canucks goal. You cannot do this on a HD box.

> i do have Bluecurve wireless cable box but it’s $15 per month rental

My monthly Shaw invoice shows a credit that 100% offsets the "rental" fee for my PVR.  I am on a "two-year Value Plan". Check the 2nd page on your monthly invoice.

> I once tried the gateway HDPVR but found it complicated to set up and activate and use.

So did I, when switching from my antique Motorola PVR to the Gateway PVR, and from switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10. But, I adapted, and would not go back to the Motorola PVR.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help