new Ignite TV system unstable

lagagnon
Grasshopper

For three weeks now we have a new XiOne-SC streaming TV box with an XR15 remote as well as a new router. The XiOne is attached to the router via an ethernet cable - and that same cable runs direct network to our TV (which is not an issue).

The router and Internet are working great, no hiccups. Our television streaming Netflix or even casting via a wireless device to a Chromecast etc is fine a the TV itself is fine streaming anything, other than when we request the device to be the XiONE box.

Using the Shaw/Rogers XiONE TV box has been frustrating. About 75% of the time it works fine, then it will either lock up, produce a grey/white network error message, go completely dark for a few minutes and saved streaming programs will simply lock up and we have to start over. This is intermittent, but very annoying. I have even resorted to trying a different new HDMI cable - no luck.

I seriously doubt this is an internet/router issue as all other devices in the home work great. And we are not using WiFi for the XiONE. 

I suspect a faulty XiONE device, but am open to other ideas. I have not yet contacted Shaw about this issue.

Your assistance/ideas would be appreciated.

Larry

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

See if you can repeat the problem when the tv box is conn...

rstra
Grand Master

@lagagnon See if you can repeat the problem when the tv box is connected by wifi.

0 Kudos

We do not have a strong enough WiFi signal downstairs (co...

lagagnon
Grasshopper

We do not have a strong enough WiFi signal downstairs (concrete and steel home) where the TV is located to even consider that as a solution. Hence the use of ethernet cable directly to the area.

0 Kudos

Not that you want to unnecessarily spend money, but have...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

Not that you want to unnecessarily spend money, but have you considered using a mesh system to extend your wi-fi range and signal strength?

Since June we have been using Rogers Ignite XI6-A (Arris manufacturer) boxes. We used to use a second generation Gateway (Arris) and a portal in the basement connected by coaxial cable.

The new Ignite box is wireless. I do not have an issue with the signal when watching cable TV, streaming via the box or streaming via a Google Chromecast device.

I believe this is due to having an Eero 6 mesh system in place. You can get three Eero 6 extenders for $150 CAD. This is an older generation technology (not that old!) that works fine. I have one on the second story, one on the main floor, and one in the basement.

Eero has a 6+ kit that works with the latest Wi-Fi 6 router technology if you want to spend more.

But I digress. Sounds to me like a visit from a Rogers tech is in order. I might try that first.

0 Kudos