Jump to solution

New TV and new HD Shaw box

jfinlay18
Grasshopper

We currently have standard definition Shaw Box. We will be turning t in for an HD box tomorrow and connecting it to a new 4K HD TV. We do not intend to connect the TV to anything else - not to internet or any apps,DVD,PVR . Do I set up and activate the HD Shaw box first then set up the TV for the first time after activating the Shaw Box? Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

You have two options to get your 4K box 1. Make and appoi...

rickatk
Master

@jfinlay18 wrote:

Thank you for your response. So I have a SD box now are you saying I need to connect the  SD box to the HD TV and set the TV up?  Then take SD Box back to Shaw and get a HD box then go and  connect the  HD box and then activate it and  then go and somehow reset up the TV?   I am not sure I would know how to connect the HD TV to the SD box.

You have two options to get your 4K box

1. Make and appointment for a tech visit, they will bring your new 4K box. There may be a service call charge.

2. Arrange for a 4K box to be mailed to you. After installing the 4K box return the SD box.

3. Apparently Shaw doesn’t give out 4K boxes from their retailer locations anymore so you can’t pick one up.

In all cases and if you have a PVR, make sure you have watched the shows you want to see because you will lose your tv recordings off the old SD box.

When you have your new box and TV on hand set up the TV. Register, connect to wifi whatever you plan to do. Then plug in your new 4K box into one of the HDMI ports and launch your box. Make sure you are viewing the same port that the box is on. You will need to contact Shaw activations to get the box registered on their system. This is why you will need the TV screen, to follow the prompts.

If you find these procedures a little onerous I suggest contacting Shaw and arrange a tech visit. They can help you with activation and mapping the Shaw gear to your new TV.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

You shouldn't need to connect the SD box to your new TV,...

shaw-valerie

@jfinlay18 You shouldn't need to connect the SD box to your new TV, but I would recommend having your new TV plugged in prior to activating your new cable box. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jump to solution

I would set up the TV first. You will need the screen aft...

rickatk
Master

I would set up the TV first. You will need the screen after to set up the Shaw box.

After the Shaw box is activated you can go back to the TV and map the Shaw box and remote to the TV.

Good luck with your setup!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

New Shaw HD box with new TV

jfinlay18
Grasshopper

Thank you for your response. So I have a SD box now are you saying I need to connect the  SD box to the HD TV and set the TV up?  Then take SD Box back to Shaw and get a HD box then go and  connect the  HD box and then activate it and  then go and somehow reset up the TV?   I am not sure I would know how to connect the HD TV to the SD box.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You have two options to get your 4K box 1. Make and appoi...

rickatk
Master

@jfinlay18 wrote:

You have two options to get your 4K box

1. Make and appointment for a tech visit, they will bring your new 4K box. There may be a service call charge.

2. Arrange for a 4K box to be mailed to you. After installing the 4K box return the SD box.

3. Apparently Shaw doesn’t give out 4K boxes from their retailer locations anymore so you can’t pick one up.

In all cases and if you have a PVR, make sure you have watched the shows you want to see because you will lose your tv recordings off the old SD box.

When you have your new box and TV on hand set up the TV. Register, connect to wifi whatever you plan to do. Then plug in your new 4K box into one of the HDMI ports and launch your box. Make sure you are viewing the same port that the box is on. You will need to contact Shaw activations to get the box registered on their system. This is why you will need the TV screen, to follow the prompts.

If you find these procedures a little onerous I suggest contacting Shaw and arrange a tech visit. They can help you with activation and mapping the Shaw gear to your new TV.

Jump to solution

You shouldn't need to connect the SD box to your new TV,...

shaw-valerie

@jfinlay18 You shouldn't need to connect the SD box to your new TV, but I would recommend having your new TV plugged in prior to activating your new cable box. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

New 4k TV and PVR

jfinlay18
Grasshopper

Rickatk it wouldn't let me show 2 posts as a solution. Yours was the most detailed and I did have to call Shaw as the box would not boot by using self- service. You were correct to do the TV first. It was easy. The box did not need any TV screen prompts. Thanks again for the help. 

Jump to solution

How do you arrange a tech visit when iChat has disappeare...

LoisEpp
Grasshopper

How do you arrange a tech visit when iChat has disappeared, WhatsApp is useable for everyone else but will not connect to Shaw, and the customer service line does not answer? 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Go to Shaw.ca and scroll down to “Contact Us”

rstra
Grand Master

Go to Shaw.ca and scroll down to “Contact Us”

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help