Jump to solution

PBS, CHEK Victoria, Knowledge Network

vcal
Grasshopper

I was chatting with online Shaw agent and asked about adding these channels to the limitedTV.   I was told, that they aren't even available in the TotalTV package, which I find hard to beleive.   The channel listing doesn't name them under either package, but they must be available as an add-on somehow?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

As explained above. It may depend on your location. Howev...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

As explained above. It may depend on your location.

However, Knowledge Network is mandated provincially to be carried on basic tiers in BC, including on the "LimitedTV" plan, at least in BC.

Knowledge is originally licensed as an "educational broadcaster" and Knowledge is CRTC mandated for basic carriage in BC. 

CHEK-DT from Victoria might only be available for carriage (on cable) for Vancouver Island, and Lower Mainland, and not province wide outside of these two markets, but I am not 100% sure on that. Since they have gone independent about 10 years ago this might have changed. At one time they were a twin-stick with CHAN-DT.

PBS is CRTC mandated as one of those "4+1" services that most Canada BDU's are required to carry, including ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jump to solution

PBS is included and if you live in the Victoria area you...

rstra
Grand Master

PBS is included and if you live in the Victoria area you would also get CHEK as it is a mandated channel.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It might depend on your location but it sounds like you w...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@vcalwrote:

I was chatting with online Shaw agent and asked about adding these channels to the limitedTV.   I was told, that they aren't even available in the TotalTV package, which I find hard to beleive. 

It might depend on your location but it sounds like you were given some incorrect information. I am a Gateway user living in Vancouver and PBS ( KCTS out of Seattle ), CHEK TV and the Knowledge Network are all included in my Total TV package.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

As explained above. It may depend on your location. Howev...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

As explained above. It may depend on your location.

However, Knowledge Network is mandated provincially to be carried on basic tiers in BC, including on the "LimitedTV" plan, at least in BC.

Knowledge is originally licensed as an "educational broadcaster" and Knowledge is CRTC mandated for basic carriage in BC. 

CHEK-DT from Victoria might only be available for carriage (on cable) for Vancouver Island, and Lower Mainland, and not province wide outside of these two markets, but I am not 100% sure on that. Since they have gone independent about 10 years ago this might have changed. At one time they were a twin-stick with CHAN-DT.

PBS is CRTC mandated as one of those "4+1" services that most Canada BDU's are required to carry, including ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Ok thanks for that info. I'm on van. Island, so I'd Beep...

vcal
Grasshopper

Ok thanks for that info.   I'm on van. Island, so I'd assume CHEK is in there.  I guess they don't list those channels (CHEK, PBS, Knowledge Network) on even the limitedTV , as it sounds they are mandated.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I guess they don't list those channels on Limited TV,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@vcal -- I guess they don't list those channels on Limited TV, as it sounds they are mandated.

I think that It depends which list that you view.

Viewing the "national" list will give you the nation-wide TV stations that are mandated, e.g., CBC and CTV.

Viewing a region-specific list for Greater Vancouver will list additional channels, e.g., CHEK and BC's Knowledge Network.

Mandated for that region? Maybe. Available "over-the-air", unencrypted, with an external TV antenna? Probably.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help