why do some recordings get pixelation when i fast forward during commercials?
it only happens on some recordings. it is very frustrating because i cannot see when the show
starts again. i then have to rewind back a minute or so.
Thank you for reaching out! There may be several reasons to why you are noticing the issue you've described above. It may be a signal related issue or an equipment fault. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far, and are there certain channels you notice this on specifically or is it with all channels?
Tony | Community Mod.
We have been experiencing the same problem since January 2019. We've had the Bluesky equipment for long time, it replaced the Gateway system we previously had. Everything was fine until January and then out of the blue we started having problems as you described. But we also experience pixelation problems during rewinding. Also when it started it was really bad as we would have pixelation while watching live shows, here is a list of our problems:
1. pixelation during F.Fwrd function
2. pixelation during rewind function
3. pixelation while watching live tv
4. after f.fwrd we sometimes discovered that there was no sound or sound was out of sync with actors lips
5, if I returned to live tv for a few seconds and then back to the recorded show the sound would return or sync would be good until I used the f.fwrd or rewind option
6. recording could get to a certain point and the screen would go black and seem to lock up, f.fwrd would eventually bring recording to a section that could be viewed but then would have sound issues
7. sometimes recordings will get to a point, go black and then exit the recording back to live tv
8. some recordings were so messed up - out of sync, no sound, black screen, pixelation that any attempt to view the recording was so frustrating because you couldn't even follow anything, it would be a waste of time and I just deleted the show and hoped I could view using On Demand or record at another time
9. during one visit by a service tech he discovered that there was on a certain channel a certain time that this problem would occur
10. when I contacted Shaw, all the phone reps stated that there was no record of this problem. This went on for weeks, nobody new about this problem. It wasn't until all efforts were made to resolve this issue in our home did Shaw then admit that "it was a known issue"! ya, because I kept calling
11. the usual attempts to solve the problem were used, restarting etc. with no change
12. Bluesky is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but beg to differ. I now have to have 2 Master units and satellites for each tv so that all the tv's in our home can have service whereas with the Gateway system I only needed 1 and then the smaller satellite boxes for the other tv's
13. Other steps to resolve were having techs come up and replace the master units - lost track of how many times that has been done
14. I have heard from some people that they haven't had great service from Shaw but each tech that came up were determined to resolve the problem and each time they left they were certain they had solved the problem and each time I said well, I hope you don't end up eating crow.....they must be full by now!
15. Had one tech that went over and beyond in an attempt to resolve this issue, he really worked hard at it and was impressed with his determination and in fact after I sent a fax to Shaw head office indicating my displease with this issue I did tell them that this tech needs a "pat on the back" for a job well done as he represents Shaw well...........what's the chance they acted upon that I wonder?
16. We have been a customer with Shaw since they first arrived in Saskatoon, many decades
17. All the hardware in our home has been replaced at least twice, loose connections - how does that happen on it's own?, service from our home to the junction box at the back of our property has been replaced at least twice, hardware in the junction boxes has been replaced at least twice, hardware in the community boxes somewhere in our community has been replaced at least twice - result, some improvement but the problem still exists
18. Shaw's current solution.....don't use rewind/f.fwrd functions, use skip function
19. We have stuck with Shaw over the years because in general they provided good service with a few hiccups so we were happy. We purchased the pvr systems as didn't want to pay monthly rental charges
20. I have had a couple of Shaw phone reps tell me that "Shaw is a small fish in the big ocean of cable providers and they can't always get changes done or issues resolved"
21. It's been suggested that we revert back to the Gateway system but as I told them that seems counter productive - going backwards......Shaw will eventually not support the older system
22 Hey, it's nice to see someone else has fessed up to experiencing this problem as I think a lot of people experience and either think it's normal or are prepared to accept it!
Thank you for your feedback, we value your time in sharing your experience with that issue. We have collected examples of this. I do not have any specific ETAs but there should be a firmware in the works to fix this. I appreciate your continued patience.
Tony | Community Mod.
Hey grouch-56, I have been dealing with shaw for a long time over problems. You might want to try filing a
complaint with the ccts. They are a government agency for consumers having problems with cable companies.
Their website address is www.ccts-cprst.ca, you submit a complaint and they will contact you.
LOL, "should be a firmware in the works to fix this", ya and I will soon be on a flight to mars! If there is a fix to this ongoing problem Shaw's relationship with the supplier of the PVR must only have 1 guy hidden in some dark corner in a damp basement somewhere. Pretty bad when I can view movies on my PC and can fast forward/rewind without this pixelation problem and the FACT that this problem just showed up out of nowhere! There are other issues that I reported to Shaw 2 years ago that were "supposed" to have firmware in the works and the problems still exist - what does that say about Shaw's ability to resolve these issues or maybe it's just a case they can't be bothered either because there is a cost to Shaw or the supplier could care less?
I don't know what reporting would do because I have a sense that most people just live with the problem. Some of Shaw's people have already made little snide remarks and I can only imagine how they would treat customers who file a complaint - not that I'm worried about that or I wouldn't have kept complaining about it. Thankfully we have another provider that I can turn to and after all these decades with Shaw I am currently researching options from them. As I have pointed out to Shaw many times, their customer service is hardly customer friendly, that they are like a lot of companies that can't be bothered to follow-up with the customer to ensure they are satisfied with Shaw's resolution.....but I guess they can't if they never resolve problems, right? You know while it is annoying sometimes to get follow-up automated calls after having my vehicle serviced (it should be a real person) at least it gives me an opportunity to give feed back. I am retired now but my career involved Customer Service in many capacities from starting out as a rep and being promoted to management in many employment situations including customer support centres.............their customer support is lacking to say the least, especially since they closed many support centres in other major cities. What the hell, when a customer calls in and you can set up a call back because your position is 150! I have done that, had a call back on our land line and then promptly put on hold after pressing 1 to indicate I WAS ready to speak with a rep......was left on hold for 90 minutes! While on hold I called on my cell and was placed on hold and while on hold on 2 lines tried using the chat option, was placed in queue for over 15 minutes before being able to chat and that was a gong show! Maybe it's time to give the other guy a chance at providing service, although our daughter has her service through this other company and they have their own issues. Don't get it, is it the company that doesn't have standards or is it the type of employee they hire who have a don't give a * attitude and don't understand what customer service is and Shaw doesn't really monitor? I know that there are many employees with this type of attitude who just want to get through the call, have given up and even use call avoidance steps. Sadly I guess my standards are too high for Shaw to achieve.
I too have had so many issues with Blue Sky TV. And I'd appreciate a Shaw Rep to contact me regarding these continued issues. The following is just some of the recent issues I have had. Not to mention not having an app that allows me to pvr shows and allows playback of those shows. I'd actually like to get out of my contract and go back to Telus.
May 15 - same as 13th
May 13 - box froze as i was trying to fast forward recording, rebooted
May 10 - lost sound, had to reboot shaw box (tried tv and sound-bar before)
May 7 - Shaw box rebooted on its own, was recording 3 shows at the time
Apr 27 - Tech visit
Apr 27 - phone wouldnt download webpages, turn wifi off and on (2 separate occasions)
Apr 26 - phone wouldnt download webpages, turn wifi off and on
Apr 25 - no sound, reboot tv box
Apr 24 - recordings sound not in sync, reboot tv box
Apr 22 - no sound, rebooted tv box
Apr 16 - internet very slow, rebooted modem
Apr. 16 - internet not working, rebooted modem
Apr 4 - words being cut out, recording didnt have play option
Apr 3 - internet hit and miss, rebooted modem
I am completely done with Shaw.
We're sorry to hear you've been having troubles with BlueSky TV. It's not normal to have to reboot the box as often as you're reporting. At this point I'd recommend getting in touch with our customer support team so they can see what else can be done. You can find our contact information on https://www.shaw.ca/contact-us/ - if you have Facebook or Twitter, those two methods are often the fastest, but you can also try live chat.