Poor wireless coverage =no tv service

sztuman
Grasshopper

How am I responsible to ensure Shaw network coverage in my home? I have a full wireless network but that cannot be used for TV adapter support . it has never worked. Installer said I could use my network. support team says no I can't. why do I have deal with this. so now shaw wants me to pay for equipment so my tv service works. ready to go back to telus

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

try to put your modem x6 or 7 and hook up to the ethernet...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

try to put your modem x6 or 7 and hook up to the ethernet on the back of your modem and your cble box if it has a port for ethernet.  try it and see if it works.

0 Kudos

plus you have 10 days to try out your contract so you don...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

plus you have 10 days to try out your contract so you don't get dinged if things don't work out

0 Kudos

be sure you have plenty of bandwidth for your wireless tv...

rickatk
Master

@sztuman wrote:

How am I responsible to ensure Shaw network coverage in my home? I have a full wireless network but that cannot be used for TV adapter support . it has never worked. Installer said I could use my network. support team says no I can't. why do I have deal with this. so now shaw wants me to pay for equipment so my tv service works. ready to go back to telus

@sztuman be sure you have plenty of bandwidth for your wireless tv setup. I would suggest minimum 300mbps.  I found the wireless tv players worked very well on my old Fibre 600 plan. It now works even better on the Fibre 1.5 gig plan using an XB7 router.

Additionally ensure your home network is running in top notch order. You may want a tech visit to check everything out.

0 Kudos

-- I have full wireless network Are you saying that if yo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sztuman -- I have full wireless network

Are you saying that if you take your WiFi-enabled smart-phone or tablet or notebook computer to any room in any floor of your home, that the device shows that you have a "strong" WiFi signal to that device?  How many floors in your home (upper? main? basement?). Is it a "rancher" that is very wide, but on one level? Is the Shaw device centrally-located within your home?

The Shaw "BlueCurve" system uses "hidden" WiFi channels to communicate with the remote TV boxes. if your smart-phone/tablet/notebook gets a strong signal when placed adjacent to one of those remote boxes, then the remote box should also be getting a strong signal.

Note that Telus sometimes uses their WiFi to communicate between their fiber-optic box and your TV(s) in different rooms. So, if you have WiFi-related problems with Shaw, you probably will have similar problems if you switch to Telus.

So, please supply more "geographic" details about your home, and the placement of the cable-modem and the remote TV boxes.

0 Kudos

My personal network coverage off my personal access point...

sztuman
Grasshopper

My personal network coverage off my personal access points in my home provides 2.4 and 5G coverage throughout my home  as I run two 2 AP's. The Shaw tech installed the Wifi at the easiest location for him and since the STB worked at the lowest signal strength, he asked me to sign off and left. I had telus before shaw and left because of billing issues. They had none of these issues using wireless STBs. I have a 1400Sq foot/floor rancher. Yes the installed location of the model is in the basement, and the remote box is at the far end. Bottom line is do to poor install location, I should expect to see continued drop outs on TVs unless I pay more for adding a Pod. I  have already spent three hours on the phone with shaw and five people trying to have this dealt with.   

0 Kudos

-- unless I pay more for adding a Pod Did you mean a wire...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sztuman -- unless I pay more for adding a Pod

Did you mean a wireless repeater, located "halfway" between the BlueCurve and the remote box ?

Is the BlueCurve located approximately where the Telus box was located? Elsewhere?

Experiment: take a WiFi-enabled notebook computer to the location of the remote box. Does it show a strong connection to your network(s)? Run the Shaw Speed Test on the notebook computer, while connected to your 2.4 Ghz network. Repeat while connected to your 5 Ghz network. Run the 2 tests again, when the notebook is much closer to the BlueCurve. What speeds do you get?

0 Kudos

I have heard others using third party wifi with their Xi6...

rstra
Grand Master

@sztuman I have heard others using third party wifi with their Xi6, Shaw just doesn’t support it, I haven’t tried it myself, but the instructions are probably online somewhere, check the Comcast or Rogers forums.

0 Kudos

Experiment or Pay?  that is the problem. what point is it...

sztuman
Grasshopper

Experiment or Pay?  that is the problem. what point is it up to a consumer to pay for a service where they would need to experiment to make it work. The only reason I would consider this is the pain of calling into to get someone here, wait online and answer account feedback to four people again for two to three hours. Why would the technician who installed it not return and fix the problem. I appreciate your feedback and time and all the other posters. I am very disappointed. Honestly I should cancel the service. 

0 Kudos

-- Shaw has provided their WiFi cable-modem and Internet...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sztuman -- Shaw has provided their WiFi cable-modem and Internet access to you.

Shaw's web-site states:

Total home coverage

Eliminate dead spots with a Shaw Fibre+ WiFi Pod to get WiFi everywhere—even in hard-to-reach places.

So, there is no need for you to "experiment", unless you want to find the "dead spots" within your home, in order to find a good location for a "Pod".   So, if you want a Shaw Technician to do the experiments, I suppose that they will, and that Shaw will invoice you for the additional service.

> I should cancel the service.

Do you think that your "dead spots" will go away, if the Telus hardware is placed at/near the current location of the Shaw cable-modem?

P.S. Supposedly, the "XB7" cable-modem provides a stronger WiFi signal than the BlueCurve "XB6". Which device do you have?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help