Problem with the recent Gateway upgrade ?

hjnicol
Grasshopper

Last Thursday morning (10 Mar 2022) I noticed a change in the "My PVR Recordings" menu structure.

There is an added bar on the top right of each recorded program indicating the amount the recording has been watched.  Also, when sorted by "Date" each program is sorted normally EXCEPT programs where there are multiple recordings.

Normally when sorted by date each program is listed top to bottom with the oldest programs at the top.  HOWEVER for any program for which there are multiple recording those are sorted top to bottom newest on top (the reverse of the non-multiple program list)

a) I don't know why multiple recordings of the same program wouldn't be sorted as they were previously, just in the list with all the other programs.

b) If there is some pressing reason for these multiple recordings to be sorted separately bunched together then why wouldn't at least they be listed in the same Old -> New order as all the other programs.

Labels (1)
25 Replies

Which version of the Gateway do you have ???? I have the...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Which version of the Gateway do you have ???? I have the 2nd version ( I think ) in which the portal is inside the main box. Anyway - I am seeing nothing on my Gateway that resembles what you have been seeing since March 10th. I know it's what they always tell you to do and it usually does nothing but try unplugging your box for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in. Outside of that you should probably try and call Tech Support because I have never heard of what is happening to your Gateway before this.

0 Kudos

So about 30 minutes after posting the above message I get...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

So about 30 minutes after posting the above message I get a " Gateway needs to be rebooted " message and after reading your post I was worried that this was going to happen to my Gateway too. And that's exactly what happened - and boy does this look fugly as h*ll. I can't understand why somebody at SHAW thought that this was not only a good idea but something that their customers wanted. Oh well - it sure looks like I will only have to put up with this awful update until the end of March.

-- I can't understand why somebody at SHAW thought that t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bostonbob -- I can't understand why somebody at SHAW thought that this was not only a good idea but something that their customers wanted. 

I thought that COMCAST, not Shaw, was responsible for the software inside the Gateway HDPVR ???

0 Kudos

So, you pulled the plug and are moving to Telus? Let us k...

rstra
Grand Master

@bostonbob 

So, you pulled the plug and are moving to Telus? Let us know how it goes, I am  close to switching, I just need to decide if I still really need TV.

@mdk 

Comcast doesn’t have anything to do with the Gateway system.

0 Kudos

Maybe - but you would still think that SHAW would have to...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@mdk wrote:

@bostonbob -- I can't understand why somebody at SHAW thought that this was not only a good idea but something that their customers wanted. 

I thought that COMCAST, not Shaw, was responsible for the software inside the Gateway HDPVR ???

Maybe - but you would still think that SHAW would have to OK any proposed changes. 

I have not totally made up my mind yet but I am about 95%...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@rstra wrote:

@bostonbob 

So, you pulled the plug and are moving to Telus? Let us know how it goes, I am  close to switching, I just need to decide if I still really need TV.

@mdk 

Comcast doesn’t have anything to do with the Gateway system.

I have not totally made up my mind yet but I am about 95% sure that I will be moving. I outlined my reasons over in another thread so unless SHAW jumps in with an amazing offer ( and we all know the chances of that are pretty much zero ) then I will be shuffling over to Telus at least for a couple of years.

0 Kudos

By the way - remember the good old days when we would be...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

By the way - remember the good old days when we would be notified of upcoming changes like the one that just took place with the Gateway. I have looked all over the SHAW site and could find nothing ( except this thread ) about this latest Gateway update.

Yup. New features come to the BlueCurve system and app, a...

rstra
Grand Master

@bostonbob 

Yup. New features come to the BlueCurve system and app, and we aren’t told a thing. Only found out by accident that the app is now available on the FireTV. 

0 Kudos

It seems the changes like the color change white letterin...

hjnicol
Grasshopper

It seems the changes like the color change white lettering on light blue background.

The "upgrade" where if you record a number of the same program when one ends, if no user input it starts the next episode.  And you can't unselect that option.  If you've got several and fall asleep in front of the TV, it just goes from episode to episode.

All the earmarks of "busy work".

As for the crazy sorting (and inability to decline that feature)  Anyone who tries to watch their oldest recordings, if you've got lots of one program, it sorts from the most recent.  So even though the oldest of this multiple episode recorded program is the oldest recording you have, it will turn up on your list sorted to the newest of the multiple recorded episodes.  and,,, on that list, unlike the normal PVR recording list oldest at the top newest at the bottom, the list of multiple episodes is sorted newest at the top and oldest at the bottom.

TALK TO US
We're here to help