I just noticed another new feature due to this latest upd...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

I just noticed another new feature due to this latest update and this one is kind of odd. If you go to your list of activated channels you will see any channels that are on a free preview have a slightly lighter bar color as opposed to any channel not on a free preview. The weird thing is that these channels still have the yellow (Free Preview) notice so why do we need the different colored bar ????

0 Kudos

Hey hjnicol - the fix to this problem is pretty easy to d...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@hjnicol wrote:

As for the crazy sorting (and inability to decline that feature)  Anyone who tries to watch their oldest recordings, if you've got lots of one program, it sorts from the most recent.  So even though the oldest of this multiple episode recorded program is the oldest recording you have, it will turn up on your list sorted to the newest of the multiple recorded episodes.  and,,, on that list, unlike the normal PVR recording list oldest at the top newest at the bottom, the list of multiple episodes is sorted newest at the top and oldest at the bottom.

Hey hjnicol - the fix to this problem is pretty easy to do. 

- go to " Sort Icons " and hit OK
- go to " sort order " and hit OK
- go to " sort in ascending order " and hit OK
- go to " close " and hit OK

Now all your shows should be listed from oldest to newest. 

I think it is doing the "sort by title" instead of "sort...

withheld
Grasshopper

I think it is doing the "sort by title" instead of "sort by date" no matter which option you choose.  I have had it on "sort by date" for so long I don't remember what "sort by title" looked like for sure.  I think you can change the order of the sort, but not what it is being sorted by (if I try to change that, nothing seems to happen).

There is definitely a difference with my Gateway - you st...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@withheld wrote:

I think it is doing the "sort by title" instead of "sort by date" no matter which option you choose.  I have had it on "sort by date" for so long I don't remember what "sort by title" looked like for sure.  I think you can change the order of the sort, but not what it is being sorted by (if I try to change that, nothing seems to happen).

There is definitely a difference with my Gateway - you still get the " folders " showing up regardless of whether you select " sort by date " or " sort by title ". 

I don't have "Sort Icons"  I have "Sort Options".  I've t...

hjnicol
Grasshopper

I don't have "Sort Icons"  I have "Sort Options".  I've tried both options under Sort Options.  Currently I have selected "Sort by Date" then in "Sort Order"  and have selected "Ascending Order". 

In the main "My PVR Recordings" list of recorded programs each is sorted individually by the recording date OLDEST to NEWEST, EXCEPT any programs where there are more than one program recorded with the same name.  Those programs are sorted under the one name but are sorted by the newest recorded program of that name. 

So if I had three programs recorded of different names the oldest would show up on top and next etc.  IF, I recorded a second program with the same name as the oldest of the three.  Then looking at the list I would see the former oldest recorded program at the bottom because one of those programs is newer than the other three on the list. 

When that name of the program of which there are multiple programs of that name is selected a list of the individual programs appear on the right and they are sorted NEWEST on top down to OLDEST (the opposite of the "My PVR Recordings" list. 

0 Kudos

Sorry - that was my mistake. I meant " Sort Options " but...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@hjnicol wrote:

I don't have "Sort Icons"  I have "Sort Options".  I've tried both options under Sort Options.  Currently I have selected "Sort by Date" then in "Sort Order"  and have selected "Ascending Order". 

Sorry - that was my mistake. I meant " Sort Options " but now I see what you mean. If you choose to sort your PVR Recordings by date then you have the options of making the folders go in ascending order or descending order but if you sort your PVR Recordings by title you can only view your folders in descending order. Kind of odd but who knows if this is a glitch or meant to stay this way. SHAW still hasn't told us anything about this new feature so they are of little help here.

0 Kudos

I think the mistake is lumping all same named programs as...

hjnicol
Grasshopper

I think the mistake is lumping all same named programs as one.   If sorting by "date" order, same named programs should just be sorted with all the other programs IN DATE ORDER, seems pretty simple.

If for some reason it's desirable to group same named programs together when sorting by date order, then the main list (My PVR Recordings) should take their date sort order from the oldest in the group, not the newest (if sorted oldest to newest is selected).  Then the list of programs within that group should be also sorted oldest to newest as well.

This change seems to be a lot of programing effort for little to no reason.

0 Kudos

This update seems to have been done for no good reason, o...

shawbob0
Grasshopper

This update seems to have been done for no good reason, other than to piss off those of us devoted to our Gateways.

And that, of course, makes no business sense. Are those involved with the change even familiar with how the Gateway

can be manipulated to make tv viewing so much more efficient and a real saver of time.

They need to read this thread, contact a few of the posters, and back out the change.. I don't like the Telus option

but may have to make the switch.

0 Kudos

So it turns out that any channel you don't subscribe to b...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@bostonbob wrote:

I just noticed another new feature due to this latest update and this one is kind of odd. If you go to your list of activated channels you will see any channels that are on a free preview have a slightly lighter bar color as opposed to any channel not on a free preview. The weird thing is that these channels still have the yellow (Free Preview) notice so why do we need the different colored bar ????

So it turns out that any channel you don't subscribe to but still have on your list of activated channels will show up in a lighter shade of grey. I found this out when I wanted to see if anything good was coming up on the Crave channels and and activated those channels. I'm not really sure what the purpose of this is outside of letting you know when a free preview is over on a certain channel. 

0 Kudos

Sorry to hear you are now experiencing this issue.  I pre...

LoyalToTheOil
Grasshopper

Sorry to hear you are now experiencing this issue.  I prefer to sort by title, which remains unaffected.  I do like the addition of the progress bar for the recordings, which updates to what we have become used to with the conventional streaming apps.  Very convenient if you don’t finish a show in one sitting.

For me, the update has cleared up intermittent pauses and skips (live and recorded playback) that began occurring and increasing in frequency over the past couple months. 

For many of us, these update issues will no longer matter by the summer. RIP Gateway https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-regional-tv-box-upgrades/ta-p/32715

I’m not looking forward to replacing the Gateway system that has been relatively reliable and user friendly for the past decade.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help