Programming the remote to skip 30 seconds doesn't save

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

Here's the problem:

I have gotten the programming of the remote to work, sort of... however, it doesn't seem to want to save the fact that it's programmed to only skip 30 seconds.

If I end my viewing session, and turn everything on again, say, a few hours later it will revert back to the default 5 minutes.  I can sort of get it back working, but I have to go into the settings and force a restart of the cable box.  

Any ideas on how to make it so the programming actually sticks, and not force me to restart my cable box every time? I did not have this issue with my other cable box/remote - which I only just replaced on Sunday.  I also had some trouble programming the remote to control my TV/AVR, too. 

Labels (1)
14 Replies

-- turn everything on again ON ? The Shaw PVR never reall...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- turn everything on again

ON ? The Shaw PVR never really turns "off" -- it may stop sending to your TV, or may send the "floating Shaw screen-saver" image, but it is always "on", waiting for the start-time of the next scheduled recording, unless you use a power-bar to power-off the PVR.

> I have to go into the settings and force a restart of the cable box.  

For my Shaw Gateway PVR (not the BlueCurve) on my remote-control:

MENU --> Settings --> scroll to "Skip" --> scroll to select 30 seconds or 3/5/15 minutes --> select Close

So, when I press the "Skip" button, the PVR accepts the command, and does the skip-forward.

> I also had some trouble programming the remote to control my TV/AVR, too. 

Had, or still have? Are you using the Shaw-supplied remote-control, or some 3rd-party "multi-system" remote?

0 Kudos

"ON ? The Shaw PVR never really turns 'off'" I use my Sha...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

@mdk 

"ON ? The Shaw PVR never really turns 'off'"

I use my Shaw remote to control my TV/AVR's power/volume, so when I press the All Power button on the remote, everything turns off/on.  My previous cable box would stay "on" until it went into sleep mode or whatever after I pressed All Power to turn my TV/AVR off.  With this new box, if I press the All Power button, the cable box turns "off" - or at the very least, goes into sleep mode immediately - as well (meaning: the light on the box turns off).

Starting a viewing session after, say, coming home from work, I press the All Power button on my Shaw remote, which turns on my TV, AVR, and wakes the BlueCurve box.  At that time, the 30 second skip that should be programmed into the remote no longer works, and I have to go into the BlurCurve menu to perform a restart from the Power Settings menu.  I'm not sure if that's the solution, but it seems to be the thing that kicks it back into shape.

"For my Shaw Gateway PVR (not the BlueCurve) on my remote-control:

MENU --> Settings --> scroll to "Skip" --> scroll to select 30 seconds or 3/5/15 minutes --> select Close"

There's no menu option to set the skip length like it used to be.  And though it is not "officially supported", Shaw does have instructions on how to program the BlueCurve remote to skip 30 seconds (basically pressing Exit 3 times, then entering 0030 on the number pad).  

"Had, or still have? Are you using the Shaw-supplied remote-control, or some 3rd-party "multi-system" remote?"

The Shaw-supplied remote.  And had - I had to search for the code for my AVR (the TV brand code was supplied in the little instruction booklet wit the remote), and bypass the actual menu option to program the remote (otherwise it would get stuck in a loop of trying to search for the TV brand) by holding the Setup button down then quickly entering the device code.  

----

And of course, as I finish typing this, I turn on my TV, etc.... and test the skip, and it's working fine now, but I can't count this as "fixed" since I'm almost certain it'll revert back, and I'll have to go through the restart process again to get the remote's programming to stick.

0 Kudos

Spoke too soon - it broke again after going into the YouT...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

Spoke too soon - it broke again after going into the YouTube app, and back to regular TV, and now I can't skip 30 seconds again.

0 Kudos

Set the 30 second skip and then do a power cycle (not a s...

rstra
Grand Master

Set the 30 second skip and then do a power cycle (not a settings/restart).

0 Kudos

-- Starting a viewing session after, say, coming home fro...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- Starting a viewing session after, say, coming home from work, I press the All Power button on my Shaw remote, which turns on my TV, AVR, and wakes the BlueCurve box. 

Is there a difference between the BlueCurve being "off", or not being "awake" ?

Experiment:

1. Set the BlueCurve to record tomorrow's episode of "Judge Judy" (for mid-afternoon, before you come home from work).
  2. Press the "All Power" to turn everything "off", including the BlueCurve.
  3. Tomorrow, go to work.
  4. Tomorrow, come home from work, and check if you have a recording of Judge Judy.

If you do, the BlueCurve really was not "off" -- it was just "sleeping". Presumably, if you have one of those WiFi TV players in a different room, the BlueCurve would need to be "on", so that the person in the other room could view the recorded content.

0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure that it's just in sleep mode. I need to...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

@mdk 

I'm pretty sure that it's just in sleep mode.  I need to do more testing because it worked fine when I turned everything on this evening, until we went into he YouTube app via the BlueCurve box, and it had reverted back to the default 5 minutes when we returned to normal TV viewing after watching a few videos. 

I'm honestly a little befuddled on why it works one minute, and doesn't the next.  

I only have the one BlueCurve wireless box, so nothing from any other room would be part of the equation.  

0 Kudos

Have the same problem and can’t seem to resolve it. I pos...

firetown
Grasshopper

Have the same problem and can’t seem to resolve it. I posted a question on this a couple of weeks ago but it has not been answered yet by Shaw. 

0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue.  Now that I read these threads...

chadrutherford
Grasshopper

I'm having the same issue. 

Now that I read these threads I think I've noticed it reverts back to the 5 minute skip after ive gone to Netflix and then back to TV using my blue curve system.

It would be nice if Shaw would help us out. 

0 Kudos

Shaw clearly does not want customers being able to easily...

Timminator
Grasshopper

Shaw clearly does not want customers being able to easily skip over commercial content and intends to keep this 'broken' by design. Everyone's several hundred dollars a month in digital cable fees is apparently not enough, they also want to ensure advertisers their customers won't be able to easily skip all the junk no matter the premium they pay. Bell / MTS Fibe has a DEFAULT skip length of 30 seconds we REALLY miss.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help