PVR Boxes when Rogers takes over

tropica
Grasshopper

Will existing PVR's work when Rogers takes over Shaw in 2022 or will they need replacing? Want to know if I should hold off on getting a new PVR in 2021 or wait.

Labels (1)
3 Replies

-- first, one must assume that some branch of the Canadia...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tropica -- first, one must assume that some branch of the Canadian Government does not "block" the sale, citing "too much of a concentration" in Internet Service Providers. Second, if the deal does close, how long will it take for Rogers to make any substantial changes to the Shaw "infrastructure" -- probably a long time.  Third, Shaw currently is "renting" the PVR to you -- no need for you to spend your money to "buy" anything. Fourth, if the existing PVR stops working, Shaw TV customers will switch, en mass, to Telus Optik TV, rather than "waiting" for Rogers to get its sPit together.

0 Kudos

I wouldn’t expect Rogers to make large changes to Shaw’s...

rstra
Grand Master

I wouldn’t expect Rogers to make large changes to Shaw’s TV service, both companies use equipment based on the Comcast Xfinity platform. If you are on a plan that doesn’t include a free rental (grandfathered or limited tv), make sure you buy one that isn’t retired, or soon to be retired. Also, make sure that you check the serial number with Shaw to make sure it is ok to be activated on your account.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-regional-tv-box-upgrades/ta-p/32715#content-section-1

0 Kudos

I think the free standing PVR’s still run on the old Gate...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

I wouldn’t expect Rogers to make large changes to Shaw’s TV service, both companies use equipment based on the Comcast Xfinity platform. If you are on a plan that doesn’t include a free rental (grandfathered or limited tv), make sure you buy one that isn’t retired, or soon to be retired. Also, make sure that you check the serial number with Shaw to make sure it is ok to be activated on your account.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-regional-tv-box-upgrades/ta-p/32715#content-section-1

I think the free standing PVR’s still run on the old Gateway platform. For the best future proofing @tropica would be best to upgrade to Blue Curve and enjoy the benefits of Cloud PVR now. I am pretty sure he will have no problem porting over to Rogers when required.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help