Recording skipping backwards, menu hanging, playback unavailable

finagle
Grasshopper

I've started having several problems over the past few days and weeks.

1. I'm watching a recording and during playback the scene pauses then skips back several minutes without me touching the remote.  This happened 4 times today.

2. Same as issue one but then the playback exits and I get an error message saying the recording is unavailable at this time. I have to wait a few minutes before I can play it again. This happened once.

3. I've been watching a recording and when it was done I'd exit to the menu.  The menu would be then be stuck on the screen.  The channel would be playing in the background but gateway won't respond.  I can't change the channel or get out of the menu.  The unit blinks it's green light when I press buttons on the remote but nothing happens.  I have to reset the gateway with the power button.  That's happened at least 3 times this week.

4. I was watching some movies and shows on demand a few weeks ago and I had a similar problem to #2.  Between midnight and 2:00am I'd be watching and the playback would exit and say unavailable and I'd have to wait 10 to 20 minutes before I could restart it.  I haven't had it happen for a few weeks but i haven't been watching a lot of on demand shows lately.

Anyone else having these problems?

Labels (1)
14 Replies

Re: Recording skipping backwards, menu hanging, playback unavailable

shaw-tamara

Hi  

We're sorry to hear you're having these troubles. I know for sure that the 4th point is a known issue that we are currently working on with Comcast to resolve. I'm curious, though - are you located in Calgary or a different region? I just want to confirm if you have the Cloud PVR or if the recordings are directly on the box. 

0 Kudos

finagle
Grasshopper

Hi  

I'm in Winnipeg.  I only watched a few recordings today, but there were no problems at all.  The unit also seemed more responsive today.  It seemed kind of sluggish for a few days, just kind of jarringly slow responses to the remote, but seems to be okay today.

0 Kudos

finagle
Grasshopper

Well the problem with playback of recordings stopping has returned.  Happened a lot yesterday and even more today.  It hung completely once yesterday, but not today.  Several errors messages about recording having a problem and asking if I wanted to record a new showing.  Some times it would pause and then continue after a minute, a few times it skipped back several minutes, but mostly it pauses with a still image and no sound, then exits back to the broadcast tv. When I restart the playback it restarts the program from the beginning.  When I get to the spot where it previously stopped it plays fine but sometimes has the same problem later in the playback.  It's all been older recordings from a few weeks ago.

I'll contact technical support and see if I need to get the unit replaced.  Maybe they can do a remote diagnostic on it.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

thank you for the update. I am sorry to hear of the frustrations. Hopefully, a replacement unit will be the resolution. Let me know if you have any other questions!

0 Kudos

I am having the same issue from Winnipeg as well. My reco...

jdunn05
Grasshopper

I am having the same issue from Winnipeg as well. My recording skips around constantly while watching it. Is there a known fix for this?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Does this happen on recordings on all channels, or do you...

shaw-valerie

@jdunn05 Does this happen on recordings on all channels, or do you notice this only on some channels or specific programs? Are you seeing any reception issues when watching live TV? What troubleshooting steps have been tried already? 

0 Kudos

I am having these issues as well. I am also in Winnipeg....

CindyMit
Grasshopper

I am having these issues as well. I am also in Winnipeg. I was just watching a show I pvr’d from CTV and it skipped, froze and muted. There have been many shows that have skipped forwards and backwards. It can be frustrating when you watch a series and it is ending and it skips the last ten minutes (big brother). We had to go on UTube to see who won

0 Kudos

-- which PVR do you have? Pace? Shaw Gateway? BlueCurve r...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CindyMit -- which PVR do you have? Pace? Shaw Gateway? BlueCurve recording to its internal disk-drive? BlueCurve recording to Shaw's "Cloud PVR"? The PVRs that have internal disk-drives can have problems as those disk-drives "age". Those disk-drives are recording 24/7, so that you can "rewind" live TV shows. That's a lot of "wear-and-tear" on them. So, how old is your PVR?

Note that "Shaw On Demand" has a "TV" section, where you can view past episodes of most TV programs.

Also, channels like CTV and Global and CityTV do post their shows onto their web-sites, usually the day after the first broadcast of each episode.

So, YouTube is not the only source for past broadcasts.

That’s frustrating as my pvr is about four years old and...

Rocket43
Grasshopper

That’s frustrating as my pvr is about four years old and does the same thing. I’ve restarted five times to watch last ten minutes of third period today and can’t reach the end, so frustrating. Is there a reboot for this or as mentioned in previous post so I need a new hardrive?  Also my two pvrs started recording games on channels I don’t have it are blacked out how can this be corrected

thanks

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help