Screen saver always on

seniorcitizen
Grasshopper

Can someone tell me why, when we turn on either of our TVs, 95% of the time they are on the screen saver?  It's been doing this for the past couple of months although we have not changed any of the settings.  It used to just turn the TV on.  Quite irritating.

Labels (1)
17 Replies

What manufacturer and model-number of your TV? Does it ha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

What manufacturer and model-number of your TV?

Does it have any "setup" mode, to change the "off" versus "sleep" behaviour?

Which Shaw TV box? Is the TV losing its "connection" to the Shaw box, and the lack of signal when you turn-on the TV triggers the screen-saver?

If you switch the Shaw box to a different channel, does that action "wake" the TV?

0 Kudos

It happens on both our TVs - different manufacturers, sep...

seniorcitizen
Grasshopper

It happens on both our TVs - different manufacturers, separate cable boxes, obviously different rooms.  When you turn a TV on it is on the screen saver which must mean the cable box never turned off.  I usually just press EXIT or GUIDE or whatever to end the screen saver - nothing magical.  We never use "sleep" on either TV.  Again, it doesn't happen every time, just too much of the time.

0 Kudos

Personally, I've experienced this on my own equipment if...

shaw-valerie

@seniorcitizen Personally, I've experienced this on my own equipment if I left the menu or guide (even the quick menu that comes up when you press the centre Shaw button on the BlueCurve TV remote) up when I turned off the TV, so that may be a possible cause here. 

I just signed up for Shaw BlueCurve TV.  I am having simi...

RPW
Grasshopper

I just signed up for Shaw BlueCurve TV.  I am having similar issue with the screen saver on all my boxes as well.  The screen saver is set to start after 5 hours and the power saver is turned off, but the screen saver would activate too quickly.  It is not on any menu or guide as shaw-valerie suggested to check.  I would leave the TV on and the screen save would come up too quickly.  It is very annoying.  I had similar issue with TELUS boxes initially and their tech support was able to disable the feature at their end. I voiced by concern to Shaw through https://www.shaw.ca/contact-us/your-voice/Resolve-a-Concern link.  Hope they will address soon. I will keep you posted.

0 Kudos

6 months have passed and this issue remains unattended to...

Seabrooke
Grasshopper

6 months have passed and this issue remains unattended to. Par for the Shaw course. 

0 Kudos

-- after "pausing" a recorded program for a long time, or...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Seabrooke -- after "pausing" a recorded program for a long time, or after watching a long (2+ hours) recording, when I go back to "live TV", I see the :Shaw screen-saver.  No big deal for me. Pressing any key resumes the view of the live broadcast.

0 Kudos

I wish I was that lucky. The only way I can get rid of th...

Seabrooke
Grasshopper

I wish I was that lucky. The only way I can get rid of the Shaw screensaver, which pops up pretty randomly, is to power off the TV and power it on again - and sometimes I have to do that multiple times before the saver goes away. Gateway system. 

0 Kudos

-- the cable box never turned off. It never does. It is s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@seniorcitizen -- the cable box never turned off.

It never does. It is still powered-on, waiting for the next scheduled recording to start.

Older PVRs would stop transmitting to the TV; newer PVRs start transmitting the "Shaw screen-saver" image.

@Seabrooke -- I wish I was that lucky

For me, "channel up/down" or "play" or "rewind" terminates the Shaw screen-saver.

0 Kudos

I find all the 'screen savers' a pita.  I can't go to the...

Dodsfal
Grasshopper

I find all the 'screen savers' a pita. 

I can't go to the kitchen to make a sandwich, or go to the bathroom without the system going to the screen saver.  most of the time I have to go through all the menus to reselect the program. 

If I have the TV on with ANY of the menus up, on top, on the side, or whatever, it goes to screen saver, even though I am watching it. 

After watching a few episodes it will come up and ask if i am still watching?

NONE of these so called screen savers do anything.  there is no power saving and unless you are using a TV from the 1990s screen burn in is not an issue anymore. Even if you are it is not going to burn in your screen in less than several days of continuously showing the same screen, let alone 3-5 minutes. 

Yes the power saving options are off. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help