Shaw FreeRange Does Not Work When Tethered To Mobile Hotspot

Not applicable

I have an android tablet that I use to connect to my Note 8's mobile hotspot to give it internet access.  On my android tablet, when connected to my Note 8's mobile hotspot, it will not load anything in Shaw FreeRange app.  My Note 8 is with Rogers.

These are the errors it gives me: "Error - An unknown error occurred during this request.  Please try again." and  "Sorry, we're having some trouble.  We can't load your Guide right now.  Please give us a few minutes and try again."

However, when my android tablet is connected directly to my home Shaw WIFI network, everything loads perfectly.  Now i've also tested the mobile hotspot with two other devices (S8, and Galaxy Tab S2) and I get the same errors.  I've also tried a completely different device's mobile hotspot (friend's Note 😎 and tried connecting a S8 via mobile hotspot, and again FreeRange app won't load.

It seems as though the app is blocking any tethered connection based the above tests.  Is there away I can get FreeRange app to load properly, via a mobile hotspot connection?

So summary, FreeRange app works when connected directly to my home's Shaw WIFI.  FreeRange app will not work at all via mobile hotspot connection to Rogers.   Location and storage permissions are allowed on the app.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Shaw FreeRange Does Not Work When Tethered To Mobile Hotspot

shaw-tamara

Hey the_jaf 

That's super weird! I tested it out with my phone and iPad and was able to stream on the iPad while connected to Rogers, so it seems like it should be working. I don't have any Android devices but shaw-tony said it worked for him when he tested it out, too. I'm not really sure what would be causing this but we can try to figure it out. Do you have streaming over mobile data enabled on FreeRange your phone?

0 Kudos

Same problem

Kimbo2
Grasshopper

I too an unable to tether to my phone (Rogers infininty) as I cancelled home Internet and tether my tablet

0 Kudos

Just to confirm, you are receiving the same message quote...

shaw-valerie

@Kimbo2 Just to confirm, you are receiving the same message quoted by the original poster, or something different? Have you checked to make sure that the option to stream over mobile data is enabled in the Freerange TV app settings? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help