I’m having this problem too. Everything was working just...

lesgr
Grasshopper

I’m having this problem too. Everything was working just fine until recently. 

0 Kudos

This is also been happening with our TV throughout the TV...

Elliottltd
Grasshopper

This is also been happening with our TV throughout the TV’s in house on any channel it’s very annoying! 

0 Kudos

We are having this problem....CNN sound stopping intermit...

MarkPet
Grasshopper

We are having this problem....CNN sound stopping intermittently for 1 second approx. 

It has been happening here for a couple of weeks.

We have only noticed it on CNN.

0 Kudos

Yes, and it has been getting worse since you posted.  (We...

ponderer
Grasshopper

Yes, and it has been getting worse since you posted.  (We have recently posted separately)  Right now, only 3 of the channels 2- 30 are watchable.  We followed Shaw's advice to check our equipment, cables, connections, splitters, etc and I have also been checking internet download speeds.  Everything works perfectly during off hours but beginning around 6:00 pm pixelation and sound drop outs get worse until about 8:00 and stay intolerable until about 10:00 and then begin to improve. Internet download speed remains high (16.2, usually) throughout so there does not appear to be any equipment or connection issues here. At least three of my neighbours on Shaw spread over  about 150 metres along the street are also complaining about the same thing.  (Most of the rest are on Telus - smart people)  Two of us have a serviceman coming to check our signal in a week (me) or two (her), but it is pretty clear that the issue is with the signal strength from Shaw in prime hours, so the serviceman isn't going to find anything here at 2 in the afternoon - everything is fine then.  I am hearing more about this from others in other parts of the city, so I figure it is a problem at Shaw that they have not yet addressed - perhaps new streaming services are consuming too much of their transmission capacity, but whatever it is, they need to start checking their systems, not ours

0 Kudos

Yes I have the same problem

Andrashe
Grasshopper

Yes I have the same problem 

0 Kudos

No there is nothing wrong on anybody's cables otherwise w...

Andrashe
Grasshopper

No there is nothing wrong on anybody's cables otherwise we'd experience the issue on other channels, sites. However, I MAY HAVE found a solution though I can't explain the reason, I have no technical knowledge; if while the video is playing (on CNN) go to Settings, then under "Speed" which is set by default to "Normal", you set it down (minus) 1.25 then it plays properly. I did this in both Safari and Chrome with good result. Later I cleared "history" and emtied Caches under "Develop", then went to CNN to play a video and played good again. I checked settings and it reset to "normal" speed, but the video is playing with no sound cutout. For now. 

0 Kudos

I can't explain the reason, I have no technical knowledge...

Andrashe
Grasshopper

I can't explain the reason, I have no technical knowledge; if while the video is playing (on CNN) go to Settings, then under "Speed" which is set by default to "Normal", you set it down (minus) 1.25 then it plays properly. I did this in both Safari and Chrome with good result. Later I cleared "history" and emtied Caches under "Develop", then went to CNN to play a video and played good again. I checked settings and it reset to "normal" speed, but the video is playing with no sound cutout. For now. 

0 Kudos

-- I understand that when you slow down the speed of the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Andrashe -- I understand that when you slow down the speed of the video, it plays smoothly.

I have a few questions about the computer you are using -- maybe, it is just "too slow".

1. When you run the Shaw Speed Test, what numbers are displayed?

2. How do those numbers compare to your Internet plan, e.g., "Internet 300" or "Fibre+ 300" should give 300 Mbits/second for download, and 15 Mbits/second for upload ?

3. I presume that your computer is running Windows 10.  Use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to display a menu, and choose to start the Windows "Task Manager". Click on "more details", if that option is displayed. Click on the "Performance" tab. Click on the "CPU" icon. What does it show for the processor? AMD? Intel? What speed? Number of cores? Number of threads?

4. Does your computer have a SSD (Solid State Device) or a "spinning" disk-drive (4200 RPM? 5400 RPM? 7200 RPM?).

Each of these components affect your maximum download speed, and the speed at which the computer can display a video.

0 Kudos

“No there is nothing wrong on anybody's cables otherwise...

rstra
Grand Master

@Andrashe “No there is nothing wrong on anybody's cables otherwise we'd experience the issue on other channels, sites”

This is not correct, some channels may have problems while others are perfectly fine and it still could be a fault with the cable plant, or cable in your home. This thread is specific to CNN on cable boxes and has been a issue on and off for months, this is most likely a problem at the source. 

The video on CNN websites is something that hasn’t been mentioned before. What kind of computer are you running, OS, and processor speed? Does this happen on all devices?

0 Kudos

sound mostly but also the picture and we had the game on...

januarymct
Grasshopper

sound mostly but also the picture and we had the game on hold while cooking dinner and it just jumped to the live where it was so we missed some. a little peeved i am

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help