Switching to Blue Curve NOT simple

echislop
Grasshopper

I am sitting here with about 8 pages I had to print out. Some showing my old channel listing numbers and some the new Blue Curve channel listings, as well as a print out of the remote. I need both systems channel number listings so that I can tell my Mom (who's 92) what channel to watch on her TV. So I've been scouring the listings trying to find each channel, what it's listed as on mine and what it's listed as on hers. Not to mention trying to find out how to use the remote and the Blue Curve system myself! This is very poor customer service. Shaw should be supplying all the instructions for the channel number conversions and instructions on using your new system. Even if I didn't have to convert for my Mom I think we should be provided with it just so we can check whether or not we are, in fact, getting all the channels we had before! I shouldn't have to be sitting here night after night looking it up on the internet and getting practically nowhere on my own. I received very little verbal instructions from the cable guy and NOTHNG for written instructions. I've spent about 2 hrs. on the Shaw chat with questions I shouldn't have to ask if I'd gotten proper instructions from the start. You need to take a course to muddle through all this. Not satisfied at all. My question is "Has anyone figured out the channel numbers converting from Gateway to Blue Curve or do I have to keep plugging away at this?"

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Can’t you just use the guide to find the channel? You cou...

rstra
Grand Master

@echislop  Can’t you just use the guide to find the channel? You could also use the BlueCurve voice control to navigate the system.

0 Kudos

-- can you logon to your mother's My Shaw Portal page, an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@echislop -- can you logon to your mother's My Shaw Portal page, and then click to get a list of the channels she has available? Annotate it, with your suggestions on the channels that she will prefer.

I have the lists of both my cable channels and hers. Howe...

echislop
Grasshopper

I have the lists of both my cable channels and hers. However, every day I have to find out what is on TV for her to watch on my channel guide on the TV and then convert it to what channels everything is on on her tv. Believe me it's a lot harder than it sounds. I have made a list now of the main channel conversions that she watches but that wasn't easy to do. I just think they should provide the conversion list when you first get your new Blue Curve. Even just for yourself it would be nice to know what the channel was called on your old system. I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly. Oh well. 

0 Kudos

-- every Friday, the local newspaper includes a "TV Guide...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@echislop -- every Friday, the local newspaper includes a "TV Guide" section, with a grid for each day.

The first few columns of the grid show the channel numbers appropriate to the Shaw Gateway PVR in your area, and the channel number appropriate to the Shaw BlueCurve PVR.  You might want to use a highlighter-pen to mark the channel, time, and program name of each program that you suggest for her.

Show her how to activate voice-input on the BlueCurve remote, and show her to say "show me Jeopardy".  🙂

A little tedious for you to configure, but you could use the remote to "set a reminder" for each show. If the TV is on, maybe showing the "Frame" channel, it will show her an on-screen reminder. After the show ends, she can press the "Last Channel" button to return to the "Frame" channel.

0 Kudos

I went through something similar with my father who lived...

4Help
Grasshopper

I went through something similar with my father who lived in a different city.

I think I might know what you are looking for though?

A channel list that shows all the numbers allocated to a certain channel?

I remember there used to be something like that when HD was a new thing and an HD Channel had its own number.

I think it showed the list of channels in numeric order. If the channel showed up on more than number it would be, as an example 11/101 GlobalBC.

The new printouts are extremely confusing because of how the lists are compiled.

I recently signed up for 4K and Shaw kept sending me what they said were helpful channel guides, not! I finally went into my Account and printed off a "My Channels" list which showed a channel list in chronological order. Being the only one in my family signed up for 4K I know I am going to have problems communicating with others where to find a show I want to share with someone on a different plan.

0 Kudos

-- Being the only one in my family signed up for 4K Presu...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@4Help -- Being the only one in my family signed up for 4K

Presumably, your family-members have the older PVRs.

Over time, three things might happen:

1. their PVR will fail (the internal disk-drive will fail)
  2. Shaw will declare "obsolete" their PVR (see: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-legacy-tv-box-upgrade-program/ta-p/9242 )
  3. they will get to the end of their two-year Value Plan

In the first case, Shaw will replace the failed PVR with a BlueCurve PVR, forcing them to the channel numbers that you are using. 

In the second case, Shaw will replace the PVR with a BlueCurve PVR, forcing them to the channel numbers that you are using. 

In the third case, any new Value Plan will include a BlueCurve PVR, forcing them to the channel numbers that you are using. 

In the meantime, can you tell your family member(s) the name of the program, and show them how to use the built-in "search" function to find, by name, the program you are recommending?

0 Kudos

This is my first Shaw PVR. I am the only one in the Famil...

4Help
Grasshopper

@mdk 

This is my first Shaw PVR. I am the only one in the Family that has upgraded so far but I understand others may soon have no choice.

I am trying to come to terms with the changes. The 200 hrs of Cloud is in no way near enough space to hold the shows I want to save to Binge watch. I used to record to DVD not PVR which meant I could truly Binge watch at my convenience.  The Shaw on Demand collections of TV Shows has become very limited in content recently and is not available for all channels. 

I say first Shaw PVR but not my first PVR. We were forced to change to a Comcast /Xfinity PVR at a recreational property in the States so have a basic understanding of how they work including the Voice Remote access. The US PVR Box did not change the Channel list just added HD Channels. It also wants to keep it's customers happy by allowing for access to a large number of free viewing apps for those who enjoy Binge watching series. Shaw might have one free App but nothing on it that interests me.

0 Kudos

-- The Shaw on Demand collections of TV Shows has become...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@4Help -- The Shaw on Demand collections of TV Shows has become very limited in content recently and is not available for all channels. 

Yes, Shaw does NOT have distribution rights for some USA-based channels.

See: https://vod.shaw.ca/tv/ for a list of TV channels that are available, for free, via Shaw On Demand. Of course, if your Shaw TV subscription does not include a specific channel, you may be blocked from watching that channel, via Shaw On Demand.

Of the TV channels which may interest you, which TV channels are NOT offered to you?

Thank you for the information. I live in BC and we have a...

4Help
Grasshopper

@mdk 

Thank you for the information.

I live in BC and we have a regional public supported channel called the Knowledge Network. It has similar content to US PBS Stations. I don't know how arrangements are made for carrying series and movies on Demand but I would not expect Knowledge Network to offer it if there are costs involved.

I like their Brit Mysterys and I would DVD to watch later. Now the PVR is my only way to save programs. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help