Xi6 Issues

petey
Grasshopper

I have recently replaced my 1st gen bluesky TV box and portals with 4 Xi6 portals, I have had nothing but issues since installing, it's pathetic. Full disclosure, I run my modem in bridged mode with an Asus GT-AX-11000 and 2 AC86's. My internet basically has 100% uptime, I work from home, constant meetings and data transfers, haven't had an issue for a year and a half.

The new Xi6 tv boxes are freezing up constantly, I have been power cycling them, power cycling the modem and routers non stop. I can understand these issues occasionally, but 3 or 4 times an hour is completely unacceptable. I know if I call shaw tech support they will be less than helpful since things are bridged on my end, even though I could talk with a real tech regarding the issue far more than the 'average user'. Is there anyone that has any ideas? I Things I have tried so far include hardwiring all boxes to my network, assigning static IP's to the boxes and assigning highest priority to the boxes thru my routers priority.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
8 Replies

I suggest you start by unbridging your Shaw modem and let...

rickatk
Master

I suggest you start by unbridging your Shaw modem and let it do the wifi heavy lifting. Put the modem/router in dual band and direct the tv players to your shaw router. Try and place the Shaw router centrally in the house.

Let the Shaw gear work things out. Your tv players should settle down.

0 Kudos

I'm guessing you are using the new Blue curve gateway sin...

Fernand2
Grasshopper

I'm guessing you are using the new Blue curve gateway since that is the only way to feed Xi6 players.(they have no coax connection). When was investigating 4K players I was told by the local Shaw store that you cannot run the Blue curve in Bridged mode because  they feed the Xi 6 players wirelessly from the gateway. If you are attempting to feed them from your own wireless router there may be some sort of handshake missing. I would suggest unbridging the gateway and let it talk to your xi6 players.  Leave your own network there to handle  all your internet needs. You might have to adjust some ip addresses and you make sure your wifi channels do not conflict with those of the gateway channels.

0 Kudos

Thanks for this. I came here looking for confirmation tha...

julien_perth
Grasshopper

Thanks for this.

I came here looking for confirmation that, if I upgrade to the xi6, they will not run (smoothly) on my bridged network.

I now have to ask myself my priorities, do I prefer my running my own network, or do I prefer receiving (somewhat limited) 4k content...

decisions decisions

0 Kudos

I'm not willing to accept shaws not our problem attitude...

petey
Grasshopper

I'm not willing to accept shaws not our problem attitude towards this Yes my network is bridged, but it also runs flawlessly. We can be streaming on the roku and the shaw boxes will cut out. This is an issue that shaw must address and find a solution to. They are sending a tech out this afternoon to look at things, I hope their able to implement a solution, or the next tech that comes in will be wearing a telus shirt, the fibre is an easy jump and their tv boxes work with a bridged setup. Sorry Shaw

0 Kudos

I have an XB7 Modem/Router feeding 4 Wireless TV players...

rickatk
Master

I have an XB7 Modem/Router feeding 4 Wireless TV players and a bunch of network speakers and smart home devices. I also run an Apple TV 4K player as well, my TV has a bunch of 4K streaming apps all of which work just fine. 4K from a variety of sources on a single unbridged modem.

I am unclear why you feel you need a non Shaw modem to get 4K content.

0 Kudos

This isn't about needing a non shaw modem for 4K content....

petey
Grasshopper

This isn't about needing a non shaw modem for 4K content. This is about already having my own network infrastructure in my house and being unable to operate 4 new streaming boxes thru it. My primary objective is not to get 4K content, but I'd like to be running current technology, instead of my first gen bluesky hardware. The 4K is a nice to have, and Shaw should be able to facilitate it thru my current setup

0 Kudos

FINAL UPDATE Shaw sent a tech out to look at what was goi...

petey
Grasshopper

FINAL UPDATE

Shaw sent a tech out to look at what was going on and why the Xi6 boxes were constantly freezing. He made some modem adjustments and hooked 1 TV up to the second port on the back of my XB6, tv worked fine. He advised that if i took a switch, put the tc CAT5's into the switch and hooked the switch into that port that all should work fine. Well, it didn't, I could only get one set to work at a time in that configuration. He advised me to contact shaw and request the XB7, as it would fix the issue. Shaw was finishing up the paperwork to issue the XB&, but wanted me to sign a new 2 year contract, I still have 1 year remaining. I suggested I wasn't interested in doing that and thought it was more than fair to request modem upgrade given the circumstances. Shaw wouldn't budge, and my old TV equipment is currently being returned to replace the Xi6's. Shaw's inability to work with a long term customer is completely offside in my mind. I still have a year left on my contract, but the next time that Telus comes knocking trying to sell their package, I'm going to be listening a whole lot closer.

0 Kudos

I would suggest if you are looking for a robust network t...

rickatk
Master

@petey wrote:

This isn't about needing a non shaw modem for 4K content. This is about already having my own network infrastructure in my house and being unable to operate 4 new streaming boxes thru it. My primary objective is not to get 4K content, but I'd like to be running current technology, instead of my first gen bluesky hardware. The 4K is a nice to have, and Shaw should be able to facilitate it thru my current setup

I would suggest if you are looking for a robust network that will address all your needs around the house, Shaw has a product range to help you. Shaw stipulates however it has to be their gear. They have plenty of reasons to use their gear for high speed internet and wireless TV players etc etc. Guess you have to decide what you want to do. 

I chose to drop all my non Shaw gear (Apple Airport line) some time ago and have a complete Shaw system (XB7,WTB and 1 pod) and price protection for a couple years. Everything works!

I can tell you not everything is greener on the other side of the fence over at Telus either. I sure don’t like their range extenders.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help