Jump to solution

Call blocking not working for all phone numbers. (Land line)

danhoc
Grasshopper

I have been trying to block a number that keeps calling me. This is my Home phone. After a few conversations and experimenting on the system with your Shaw technicians guidance the number is still not getting blocked. I have been informed that the number will not be blocked because it is an ILC (International long distance ) number. As it has 11 digits. 1-808-855-6340. All my long distance numbers have 11 digits. Is there not something that can be done about this? Please reply Dan

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Good day,  I got the answer yesterday as to why some inte...

danhoc
Grasshopper

Good day,  I got the answer yesterday as to why some international calls can be blocked and why some cannot. Thanks to all that tried to help me understand how and why this works the way it does. 

Hello Daniel, thank your for your response. My name is Heather also from our Nanaimo office and I will be happy to assist with this.The specific reason you are not able to block the specific number you have mentioned: 1-808-855-6340 is due to the fact that it does not follow the North American Numbering Plan and therefore exceeds 10 digits in length. There are a total of 25 countries which have agreed to this plan (including Canada) and which you are able to block despite the fact that they are international. For more information about this plan, please have a look here: https://nationalnanpa.com/about_us/abt_nanp.html . We do appreciate the frustration at not being able to block certain numbers and we want to assure you that if there was any possible way to block an 11 digit number we would be more than happy to facilitate that for you. Unfortunately this is not a possibility at this time.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Jump to solution

-- have you tried just entering the last TEN digits?

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danhoc -- have you tried just entering the last TEN digits?

Or, after they call, hang up. Then, dial: <star><six><zero>.

You will have an option to block the last number that called you.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Star 60 was the first thing I used before going on line t...

danhoc
Grasshopper

Star 60 was the first thing I used before going on line to my shaw and checking to see if the number was there. And it was. If you try to re enter the number with the star 60 it tells you it is a duplicate number.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- area-code 808 is Hawaii. If the Caller-ID information...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danhoc -- area-code 808 is Hawaii. If the Caller-ID information is not spoofed, do you know anybody who is vacationing in Hawaii? Anybody in jail, wanting you to bail them out?  🙂

How "fancy" is your home phone handset? Can it change the "ringer" sound for a specific incoming number? If so, can you set the sound to be "silent"? If you can, you won't hear them call, but they can still leave voice-mail.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

MDK  I am not looking for ways to get around the problem...

danhoc
Grasshopper

MDK  I am not looking for ways to get around the problem I want the issue resolved .It  Doesn't matter what the ring sounds like when the phone ringing  wakes me up at 2 AM.  Do you know anything about the system or had any experience with this type of issue? I would like to know why this area code can not be blocked. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Am I the only one that has an issue with this ?

danhoc
Grasshopper

Am I the only one that has an issue with this ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Scammers use Hawaii area code to get you to pick up the p...

danhoc
Grasshopper
Scammers use Hawaii area code to get you to pick up the phone  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Doesn't matter what the ring sounds like, when the pho...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danhoc -- Doesn't matter what the ring sounds like, when the phone ringing wakes me up at 2 AM. 

How can you hear a "silent" ring, after programming your phone to associate a "silent" ring with a call from that number?

Do you have a modern telephone base-unit, that needs electrical power?  If so, take one of those mechanical timers, such as used for exterior XMAS lights to be "on" between 5 PM and 11 PM, and "off" at other times, and configure it to not provide electrical power to your telephone base-unit between 11:59 PM and 6:59 AM. No power means no telephone reception, and no "rings" at 2 AM.

> I would like to know why this area code can not be blocked. 

This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support. I recommend that you contact them (www.shaw.ca/chat) and ask them your question, if you think that your conjecture is accurate.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have already contacted shaw chat before I got on here ....

danhoc
Grasshopper

I have already contacted shaw chat before I got on here .As I had said previously. Thank you for your efforts but I now can see you do not have the answer for me. Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Have you tried turning on spam call blocking? https://su...

rstra
Grand Master

@danhoc Have you tried turning on spam call blocking? 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/home-phone-articles/how-to-use-spam-call-blocking/ta-p/10346

There is also a link to report spam calls.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help