Long distance harrassment phone calls regularly coming on our line...from various areas of the USA .

Elaine48
Grasshopper

We receive phone calls every couple of days from somewhere in the USA.  The phone call comes in between 5:00 am and 9:00 a.m.  The locations are from Utah, and various other locations.  I have put a rejection on each call and this does not seem to work as the calls come from other numbers.  V11612274000051, 304 595 6016, .

Please advise how this can be stopped.

Labels (1)
5 Replies

-- please advise how this can be stopped Unfortunately, i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Elaine48 -- please advise how this can be stopped

Unfortunately, it cannot be stopped, unless you get the caller to give you accurate information about them, to pass those details to the Police.

Given the popularity of VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), anybody can purchase a VOIP account (about $20/month), purchase an adapter box (under $100), configure it to show any Caller-ID information and any telephone-number, connect it to the Internet, connect a telephone handset to it, and make telephone calls to any telephone-number, including yours.

That "V" prefix to that ID indicates that they did not completely configure that "Caller-ID" information.

0 Kudos

I am running into the same issue. they are having some is...

Kerellian
Grasshopper

I am running into the same issue. they are having some issues with the number spoofing at first it shows up as US number example 412-713-2365 but the call spoofing fails by the second ring and it turns into 33-600-820-0096 which means they are routing their calls through france for this round of annoying scam calls or at least for the few that i have seen

0 Kudos

-- which means they are routing their calls through Franc...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kerellian -- which means they are routing their calls through France 

I doubt that the call originated in France.

In my "double-call" scenario, above, the Caller-ID is spoofed on both calls. The first call is spoofed to match the area-code of your phone (604), to make it more likely that you will pick-up the call than if the displayed number was from an area-code that you don't immediately recognize.

The second call probably is not similarly (or not correctly) configured to spoof your area-code.

With VOIP, the call(s) can originate from anywhere in the world where Internet access is available, not just "USA" or "France" or B.C.

0 Kudos

it wasn't a secondcall. the caller ID changed mid ring. I...

Kerellian
Grasshopper

it wasn't a secondcall. the caller ID changed mid ring. I am not saying they are from france. i am saying that call was routed from there. Voip makes it so you can route from anywhere . 

0 Kudos

-- the caller ID changed mid ring That is a strong indica...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kerellian -- the caller ID changed mid ring

That is a strong indication that it was a second call, milliseconds after the first call.

If you subscribe to "call-waiting", and you are on a call, and you have a second call (from a legitimate caller), then their Caller-ID will be displayed, so that you can know whether to "flash" to the 2nd caller.

Also, see Shaw's web-site: How To: Use spam call blocking

Also, see another Shaw-website: Phone Spam Feedback

Shaw provides robocall mitigation tools that our subscribers can use to help decide whether to answer phone calls that may be unsolicited. Shaw is committed to helping consumers reduce the number of telemarketing calls that you receive. Did you receive an unsolicited call that you would like to provide information on? Help us improve our service by providing the information below ...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help