Jump to solution

A very very weird problem

YanBin
Grasshopper

Since the night before last, all connected smart devices are Unavailable, security cameras cannot be connected, floor cleaning robots cannot be started, and smart Wi-Fi outlets cannot be work, But the Internet is good, 2.4G and 5G are both in working order. I have not made any adjustments to BlueCurve prior to this. After that, I have restarted BlueCurve many times and can't troubleshoot it. These smart devices are shown as connected in the BlueCurve app.

Here's the situation now,

1. The apps for these smart devices cannot be accessed with Wi-Fi, prompting for no network connection or poor network connection, but turning off Wi-Fi and using phone data is no problem at all.

2. Can open management page of the smart device on computer with my mobile data hotspot, which cannot be opened with home Wi-Fi.

3. Security cameras can only be seen on the screen, can not be seen through the cell phone APP, the cell phone APP shows all cameras are offline.

4. Wi-Fi status, except with these smart devices can not be connected and used, the Internet works perfectly well

My guess is that there is a problem with the network transmission from my house to the servers of these smart devices, Since BlueCurve can't change DNS, I don't know how to go about trying to troubleshoot this weird problem. 

Anyone who has experience with this problem and how to fix it, please let me know, Thank you very much!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- The problem is that my Wi-Fi can't successfully ping t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- The problem is that my Wi-Fi can't successfully ping test to some Chinese websites that I often use. These websites can be connected through VPN or mobile phone data. Even my neighbor’s SHAW Wi-Fi does not have this problem at all.

Your IP-address is different from the IP-address of the VPN-server, and different from the IP-address for your mobile, and different from your neighbour's IP-address.

Your IP-address is "black-listed" by the censorship of "The Great Chinese Firewall", which limits the freedom of Chinese users of the Internet, and blocks the IP-addresses of "foreigners" with postings & opinions for whom the Chinese authorities do not agree.

So, as you have determined, you need to change your IP-address, either by special intervention by Shaw, or by swapping to a different BlueCurve. Another way is to "bridge" the BlueCurve, so that the BlueCurve functions ONLY as a cable-modem, not as a router. Then, the MAC-address of your computer, instead of the MAC-address of the BlueCurve, will cause Shaw to give you a different IP-address.

However, "bridging" the BlueCurve will disable its built-in WiFi service. So, after bridging, you can connect one computer or one third-party router (possibly with its own WiFi "cloud") to the BlueCurve.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jump to solution

Hello YanBin,   If you're still having trouble with your...

shaw-don

Hello YanBin,

If you're still having trouble with your smart apps not connecting, try reaching out to our support at https://www.shaw.ca/contact-us and we can look into it for you and see if we can get those working correctly. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- have you tried disconnecting the power-cord from the B...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- have you tried disconnecting the power-cord from the BlueCurve, then powering-off all your appliances (floor-cleaning robot), and unplugging your smart-devices. Then, reconnect the power to the BlueCurve, and let it fully restart. Then, try to connect from your WiFi-enabled computer to your 2.4 Ghz network, and run the Shaw Speed Test. Then, try to connect from your WiFi-enabled computer to your 5 Ghz network, and rerun the Speed Test. One by one, add one of your devices, and test that device.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have chatted with SHAW tech support agents many times,...

YanBin
Grasshopper

I have chatted with SHAW tech support agents many times, also got a case number, but as of today the problem still hasn't been fixed. It's really frustrating and I don't know when it will be fixed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you for your suggestion. The problem is that my Wi-...

YanBin
Grasshopper

Thank you for your suggestion. The problem is that my Wi-Fi can't successfully ping test to some Chinese websites that I often use. The screenshots have been taken to SHAW technical support. These websites can be connected through VPN or mobile phone data. Even my neighbor’s SHAW Wi-Fi does not have this problem at all.

I searched the Internet and some other people encountered similar problems. Someone replaced it with a new BLUECURVE, but when I made this request to SHAW’s technical support, he refused and gave me a case number, but for ten days It passed, nothing changed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- The problem is that my Wi-Fi can't successfully ping t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- The problem is that my Wi-Fi can't successfully ping test to some Chinese websites that I often use. These websites can be connected through VPN or mobile phone data. Even my neighbor’s SHAW Wi-Fi does not have this problem at all.

Your IP-address is different from the IP-address of the VPN-server, and different from the IP-address for your mobile, and different from your neighbour's IP-address.

Your IP-address is "black-listed" by the censorship of "The Great Chinese Firewall", which limits the freedom of Chinese users of the Internet, and blocks the IP-addresses of "foreigners" with postings & opinions for whom the Chinese authorities do not agree.

So, as you have determined, you need to change your IP-address, either by special intervention by Shaw, or by swapping to a different BlueCurve. Another way is to "bridge" the BlueCurve, so that the BlueCurve functions ONLY as a cable-modem, not as a router. Then, the MAC-address of your computer, instead of the MAC-address of the BlueCurve, will cause Shaw to give you a different IP-address.

However, "bridging" the BlueCurve will disable its built-in WiFi service. So, after bridging, you can connect one computer or one third-party router (possibly with its own WiFi "cloud") to the BlueCurve.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- please see another thread on this forum:   https://sup...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- please see another thread on this forum:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/can-t-open-some-chinese-websites/m-p/16523

for more details about the "Great Firewall of China".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have tried the bridge mode and used my ASUS router as t...

YanBin
Grasshopper

I have tried the bridge mode and used my ASUS router as the primary route, but unfortunately things didn't change. I have repeatedly asked SHAW online support to send a new router to try to troubleshoot this problem, but have been denied. SHAW refuses to replace the router and just creates a case, I don't see any updates, that problem is long overdue to be fixed.

It is now possible to be sure that it is caused by my IP address. Maybe it's as simple as just changing the router, I wonder if there are any SHAW staff here who can help me?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Today the SHAW technician came to my house again, replace...

YanBin
Grasshopper

Today the SHAW technician came to my house again, replaced a BLUECURVE at my request and the issue was fixed so simply. So, I  can conclude that the cause of the issue is the IP address.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I  can conclude that the cause of the issue is the IP...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- I  can conclude that the cause of the issue is the IP address.

Yes, as previously stated, it is clear that the "Great Firewall of China" is blocking your previous IP-address.

I wonder how long before the Chinese government chooses to block your current IP-address.

P.S. Can you select the most-helpful posting(s), and click on "Accept As Solution" ?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help