Jump to solution

Anyone else getting packet loss along the west coast?

Solace
Grasshopper

Recently getting 5-10% packet loss to valves servers. Some are hosted AWS instances, some dedicated for other games/companies.

Using a Corporate VPN that is on shaws network (that is literally less thank 20km from me) as well seems to not experience any issues so I would assume some lines are saturated and some customers are suffering

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hey  I haven't heard of any reports of issues with Valves...

shaw-tony

Hey @Solace I haven't heard of any reports of issues with Valves servers. It may be a coax signal related issue from the wall outlet to your modem or something else. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

@namsaw39 can you clarify what you mean by programs flashing on and off?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jump to solution

my programs keep flashing on and off

namsaw39
Grasshopper

my programs keep flashing on and off

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey  I haven't heard of any reports of issues with Valves...

shaw-tony

Hey @Solace I haven't heard of any reports of issues with Valves servers. It may be a coax signal related issue from the wall outlet to your modem or something else. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

@namsaw39 can you clarify what you mean by programs flashing on and off?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I already isolated it to the line between the modem and t...

Solace
Grasshopper

I already isolated it to the line between the modem and the first hop. Took a while to get someone who actually knows networking to assist rather than techs coming out and swapping splitters being lazy instead of doing the rewire as requested. I was informed my signal strength was out of range repeatedly by reps and the first onsite tech (which was issued through lightspeed communications). Subsequent visits failed to adjust the TX signal which was borderline out of range. Its pretty sad when you explicitly tell someone where a problem is and have multiple visits to fix the issue doing random trial and error troubleshooting. 

UDP packets are more susceptible to packet loss and was apparent while gaming due to the TX SNR being borderline out of bounds. The last tech who actually knew a bit about networking brought it up and made the appropriate adjustments. I still find it sad that when someone who has done operations before has isolated results submitted showing the issue that its not properly addressed in one visit. Lack of communication or something.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I'm glad to hear that you did get everything sorted out,...

shaw-valerie

@Solace I'm glad to hear that you did get everything sorted out, but can certainly understand your frustration of it not being completed on the first visit. Do let us know if you're continuing to see any issues! 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help