Anyone use a synology nas (or any nas) with cisco bluecurve gateway? I can't get it port forwarded.

RickMoore
Grasshopper

It sets up the nas fine as dhcp, ethernet straight from the gateway to nas, I don't know if setting a static ip in the dhcp range will work or is necessary, but for now it's assigning me the same internal ip for my nas and I can connect, but this program needs ports opened.

so I go to internet.shaw and try to port forward the app, says the ports are forwareded, but it says port closed in the nas, is there anything I should do? I know ipv6 is a big thing with shaw, I tried turning it off in my nas it didn't work, I even dmz'd to the nas to see if it would help and the app wasn't working.

Since I can only port forward from a list of dhcp devices I don't have many options as far as setting static ip or ddns on shaws end, but I still need to port forward the nas, I figured it out for my macbook by disabling ipv6 but the nas doesn't seem that simple.

6 Replies

-- the very-first time that the NAS sends its MAC-address...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RickMoore -- the very-first time that the NAS sends its MAC-address to your Shaw router, it gets a "private" IP-address assigned. If the NAS obeys the DHCP protocol, it will keep "renewing" that IP-address, as needed. So, as long as the NAS stays powered-on, it becomes something very-close to a "static" IP-address -- it never changes.

Are you trying to access the NAS from "outside" of your home network? If so, then you do need to port-forward the traffic through your Shaw router to the private IP-address of the NAS, so that the Shaw router knows which of the devices on your LAN are to receive unsolicited traffic from the Internet.

In contrast, any computer inside your LAN should be able to access the NAS, without any port-forwarding. Can you access the NAS from inside your LAN, or does the NAS block such connections?

hi thanks for responding. It gave me a number at the end...

RickMoore
Grasshopper

hi thanks for responding.

It gave me a number at the end of 10.0.x that hasn't changed, much like it does to any device (phones, tablets)

shaw sees the nas and I can connect through it, so long as that doesn't change on me then I suppose I'm fine, I thought I couldn't port forward to that internal nas ip number through shaw website but it looks like I can, I think it's more a software problem of a program on the nas than shaws fault, because another program on the same nas that I port forwarded to uploads ok.

so that number won't change and screw up my access to my nas? so I don't need to do static ip or ddns? I'm not very good with understanding networking, the simpler the better.

another question, on my macbook I couldn't port forward until I disabled ipv6 as required by the gateway, my nas also has ipv6, should I disable it and make ipv4 the default gateway (there's an option) for perhaps better results?

0 Kudos

-- as long as your NAS stays powered-on, and connected to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RickMoore -- as long as your NAS stays powered-on, and connected to the cable-modem, it will automatically use DHCP to "renew" the IP-address (10.0.0.xxx), because the NAS always sends the same MAC-address to the cable-modem, causing the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem to always return the same IP-address. If you are a "belt-and-suspenders" type of person, you could set the IP-address as "static", within your private network.

The very-first time that a brand-new cable-modem sends its MAC-address to Shaw's DHCP-server, an IP-address will be returned. Every later DHCP-request will return the identical IP-address.

But, I can think of two exceptions to "always identical":

1. A very-few people on this discussion forum have had problems with China's "Great Firewall". Their Shaw-assigned IP-address never changes, and the Chinese authorities have "black-listed" their IP-address, such that their IP-address will not connect to any web-sites inside China.  Shaw had to give them a different cable-modem, so that they could obtain an IP-address that is not "censored".

2. When your neighbourhood has "too many" active cable-modems, your segment can get saturated. In that case, Shaw will add hardware, and "split" your neighbourhood into multiple, smaller, segments. That event will cause your cable-modem to get a different IP-address on the Shaw network. This is where DDNS (Dynamic DNS) becomes useful. You can invent an alias for your public IP-address, and then, over the Internet, connect to your home network, via referencing the alias. If Shaw changes your public IP-address, DDNS will update the alias, to point to the new IP-address, as a "convenience" to you.

If using IPv6 causes problems for you, then don't use it -- the simpler the better. 🙂

appreciate the in depth explanation, I'm slowly absorbing...

RickMoore
Grasshopper

appreciate the in depth explanation, I'm slowly absorbing all these network terms, no ipv6 and I'll set up ddns eventually 😃

0 Kudos

, maybe you can help with an issue I'm having.  I just sw...

ericpoppleton
Grasshopper

@mdk, maybe you can help with an issue I'm having.  I just switched from Bell MTS to Shaw about 10 days ago.  Today is the first time since the changeover that I tried to connect to my Synology NAS remotely using a web browser and the quickconnect feature and it was a failure.  I tried to use the Synology file sharing app on my phone, also a no go.  Both features worked fine before the switch to Shaw. 

I have some folders on the NAS mapped as drives on my Windows computer, and they seem to be working fine. 

If I use the synology assistant app on my computer to search for devices, it says there is no synology device on my network (there is) and suggests that I check if it is powered on (it is), check if the synology server and my computer are both on the same server (they are, both with wired connection to same ethernet switch), and check if the synology is blocked by the firewall of my computer OS or anti-virus applications.  

I have to think that the Shaw modem is the problem as it is the new DHCP server on the network.  I'm thinking the quickconnect feature points to an old IP address or something.  I don't know how to access the NAS setttings without using quickconnect, I set it up ages ago and forgot the rest.  I need to read more from synology support.

Also, the MAC address for the NAS does show up in the list of connected devices when I log into the Shaw modem settings.  Why doesn't this stuff just work?  LOL

0 Kudos

-- the Shaw cable-modem acts as a "firewall", to block al...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ericpoppleton -- the Shaw cable-modem acts as a "firewall", to block all unsolicited traffic from the Internet from reaching your computer. So, from "outside" of your home network, it prevented the IP-address of your web-browser (on your smart-phone?) from connecting "through" the cable-modem. 

So, while your smart-phone is connected via WiFi to the cable-modem, access www.who.is to see output like "Your IP address is .....". That will be the "public" (on the Internet) of the cable-modem. So, when your smart-phone is "remote", that is the IP-address (supplied by Shaw -- no longer supplied by MTS) that you will need to connect to.  That is "step #1". 

While your smart-phone is connected via WiFi to the your BlueCurve cable-modem, use the Shaw BlueCurve app on your smart-phone to configure "port-forwarding".  For example, if the NAS is "listening" on TCP port 123, you will have to configure the BlueCurve to let incoming traffic on TCP port 123 to get "through" the BlueCurve.  This is "step #2".

Power-off your NAS. Wait a few seconds, and power-on your NAS. It should obtain a new IP-address from the BlueCurve. Now, when you log into the Shaw modem, the MAC address for the NAS should show up in the list of connected devices. This is "step #3".

> Why doesn't this stuff just work?

Good question, but you don't want "just anybody" to reach your NAS, and try to "hack" it.

Now, return to "step #2". You will have to configure the port-forwarding to target the new IP-address of the NAS. This is "step #4".

Use the Synology Assistant app on my computer to search for devices, it should say that there is your Synology device on my network, now that the device has an IP-address within your local area network.

That "quickconnect" should also work, when launched on a device/computer inside your home network.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help