Arris XB6 UPnP does not work.

andrielchaoti
Grasshopper

See title. The UPnP configuration on the ARRIS XB6 does diddly-squat. Is there a way to get that actually working or is this something Shaw is currently working on? Picture for context, from Elite: Dangerous.

Device Discovery settings:

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Arris XB6 UPnP does not work.

shaw-tony

Hey andrielchaoti,

Thank you for reaching out! The UPnP should be working as expected. Can you enable "Zero Config" to see if that helps with opening the ports? Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

andrielchaoti
Grasshopper

Enabling Zero Config didn't make a difference in the reported state from the game. I made sure to turn off the port-forwarding settings as it looks like that forces the upnp check in the game to auto-fail. I'm getting some generic error message that is practically meaningless in the game's netlog so I'll jump over to their forums and see what's up, possibly. (I went and looked online to see if there was another tool I could use to check this, but I feel like I'd get better results, and trust them, if I wrote it myself.)

0 Kudos

andrielchaoti
Grasshopper

After a bit of looking around and testing with another computer, none of the devices on my network are able to even *see* the router, let alone ask it to configure upnp.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

That is weird...  If they can't 'see' the router how are they online..

Are you using your own router?  My first thought is double-NAT which would break UPnP entirely.

Try the Netalyzr test, it tests a lot of things including UPnP.  It is done by Berkley University, and is safe, as much as I hate Java..

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

It should provide a link to share with the results.

andrielchaoti
Grasshopper

Unless I somehow enabled some sort of "I'm a router" config in Windows, no. My computer is connected to the Gateway's Ethernet port.

Shows the NAT detected, but uPnP is completely ignored, even though it is still configured as "enabled" and the analyzer was run once and allowed through Windows Firewall, then run again just to make sure.

Result:

ICSI Netalyzr — Results 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Fair enough.

That results link doesn't work for me but if Netalyzr says UPnP is not enabled/visible than I trust that it isn't.

I'd push/hold the reset button for 20 seconds or so and reset the modem/router, then try enabling it again.

There have been a number of firmware updates that change the internal workings, an old 'saved' configuration could be messing with things.

0 Kudos

andrielchaoti
Grasshopper

Annoyingly enough, even after resetting the router and its settings, the conditions still remain the same. Here's a netalyzr link that should work after having done the troubleshooting steps you suggested.

ICSI Netalyzr — Results 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help