Band Steering: Force a device to 2.4G?

Not applicable

Hi! I've got the XB6/BlueCurve Gateway modem. In theory I love the idea of Band Steering, but I have one device (specifically, my Chromecast) that thinks it can handle 5G but in practice it drops 5G connections constantly. When I'm using Band Steering, is there a way to force a specific device to a particular network (either 2.4 or 5G?). It doesn't seem to be possible in the BlueCurve Home app, and I checked the 10.0.0.1 admin panel and I don't think I found anything like that, either. 

Thanks!

[My context: I was a Shaw TSR for about 2.5 years so I understand how to change modem settings, how to activate/disable band steering, etc..]

Labels (1)
16 Replies

Re: Band Steering: Force a device to 2.4G?

shaw-tamara

Hey  

Unfortunately it's pretty much all or nothing with Band Steering, so it might be best to turn this feature off if you need the Chromecast to connect to the 2.4GHz network. 

0 Kudos

ericmenton
Grasshopper

I'm having issues with the same modem and my chromecast. Is your chromecast able to connect and cast video when you've disabled band steering?

0 Kudos

rickatk
Master

I have a similar concern. My Samsung 8000 series when, pointed to a dual band AirPort Extreme, runs very slow @ 1-6 Mbps. Turning on discrete bands and pointing the TV to the 5GHz band the connection jumps up to 175Mbps or higher.  When using the Shaw Blue Curve setup, the TV connects at about 75 Mbps in dual band. 

I wonder why the TV has trouble connecting with the AirPort Extreme in Dual Band but not the BlueCurve modem/router.

0 Kudos

rickatk
Master

What I have found is if you are using the XB6 and no pods you can create discrete 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands  to fine tune your devices. Go into the BlueCurve app, select “edit wifi” and you will be given the option to change the SSID names. Adding 5GHz to the end of the 5GHz name should do it. You will get a caution notice but carry on. Just like you would do in the standard web app. 10.0.0.1. That option is taken away if you have pods running.

You are probably aware of all of this but I thought it handy to be able to make band changes from the BlueCurve app.

As I have posted, my Samsung TV much prefers 5GHz over dual band or 2.4GHz. As I am testing the pods my system is running in dual band mode right now. If I decide my coverage is adequate and I drop the pods, I will likely switch my Gateway to discrete band settings as I did with my AirPort Extreme. 

So many variables!

0 Kudos

may I know how to turn off the band steering?

ccs3899
Grasshopper

may I know how to turn off the band steering?

0 Kudos

You can disable band steering on the BlueCurve gateway by...

shaw-valerie

@ccs3899 You can disable band steering on the BlueCurve gateway by changing the name (SSID) of one of the wifi networks. You can configure this either in the BlueCurve Home app (you'll need to select the box to use different names and passwords for the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks) or by logging into the modem configuration

0 Kudos

I need to disable bad steering in order to activate a wif...

MorganGiff
Grasshopper

I need to disable bad steering in order to activate a wifi camera, however neither the blue curve app not the 10.0.0.10 login in will present me the choice to disable or rename the individual networks

that is odd. You should be able to do that with the steps...

shaw-tony

@MorganGiff that is odd. You should be able to do that with the steps here. Do you have the most recent version of the app? You can also try and access it through the web version: http://internet.shaw.ca. If it is still not showing up, try a factory pinhole reset to setup from scratch.

clipboard_image_0.png

0 Kudos

I have shut off band steering, changed wifi names and pas...

Mdh
Grasshopper

I have shut off band steering, changed wifi names and passwords and I still can’t see the 2.4 GHz channel, so I cannot connect my aria scale.  How can I get 2.4 GHz to show??  It is also set to broadcast so not sure what is going on.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help