Jump to solution

-- I went into the modem administration, took it out of b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DWWalker -- I went into the modem administration, took it out of bridged mode (rendering my external WiFi router inoperative) ... the shortcoming of this setup is that I couldn't use my external WiFi router with all its features ...

Huh? For no additional cost, you can get Shaw to add a second "public" IP-address on your account, and your cable-modem can "pass-through" this second IP-address to the WAN port on your own router. This works, whether the cable-modem is "bridged" or "non-bridged".

Jump to solution

Well, I didn't know that until I read your post. So I gue...

DWWalker
Grasshopper

Well, I didn't know that until I read your post. So I guess that's for the next guy to do. Cheers.

Jump to solution

Actually, the XB6 does not support ip pass through.

rstra
Grand Master

@DWWalker @mdk Actually, the XB6 does not support ip pass through.

Jump to solution

-- a previous posting by  in July 2020 was: this looks to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- a previous posting by @shaw-tony in July 2020 was:

this looks to be related to PRB0051453. I've sent your account details up to our engineering team to patch your modem. Once the patch is applied, a power reboot is required to get the 2nd IP enabled. Please power reset your modem after 48 hours.

So, is there a difference between "IP pass-through" and "2nd IP enabled" ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I believe that was just to apply the second ip to the XB6...

rstra
Grand Master

I believe that was just to apply the second ip to the XB6.

033C6236-5046-4BB4-A760-802C8113E81F.jpeg

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is exactly my setup but since i moved apartment, Moc...

noeldelfin
Grasshopper

This is exactly my setup but since i moved apartment, Moca in modem (admin page) can't be enabled. Weird thing is the device connected to moca (my xbox) works. Here's from a shaw tech:

"Please note: The Fibre+ Gateway MoCA setting is defaulted to be Off. Shaw does not currently offer any supported equipment scenarios where MoCA is required to be set to enabled on the Fibre+ Gateway."

I told him I'm on im on a regular Bluecurve modem (not Fibre+) and he said it's the same thing.

We came to the conclusion that modem firmware update didn't need moca enabled - it just works? It's not a conclusion actually. I'm just concerned of my network security.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is exactly my setup but since i moved apartment, Moc...

noeldelfin
Grasshopper

This is exactly my setup but since i moved apartment, Moca in modem (admin page) can't be enabled. Weird thing is the device connected to moca (my xbox) works. Here's from a shaw tech:

"Please note: The Fibre+ Gateway MoCA setting is defaulted to be Off. Shaw does not currently offer any supported equipment scenarios where MoCA is required to be set to enabled on the Fibre+ Gateway."

I told him I'm on im on a regular Bluecurve modem (not Fibre+) and he said it's the same thing.

We came to the conclusion that modem firmware update didn't need moca enabled - it just works? It's not a conclusion actually. I'm just concerned of my network security.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Are you sure it can't be enabled? I see the option to ena...

rstra
Grand Master

@noeldelfin Are you sure it can't be enabled? I see the option to enable/disable under Gateway/Connection/MoCA in the admin page. @DWWalker had to get a second MoCA adapter, so ya, maybe it won't enable.

The Shaw tech is correct, there is no scenario where shaw would need to enable MoCA on the XB6/XB7.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

There is definitely the button to Enable or Disable. I ca...

noeldelfin
Grasshopper

There is definitely the button to Enable or Disable. I can actually click the Enable button. It will stay green (meaning it is clicked). Nothing happens. All i can do and the logical thing to do next is click on Save. Error appears after that thats says something like Error enabling Moca.

See... i have successfully done this many times in the past. The 2 things that have changed are 1) I moved apartment; and 2) It's been a while since I have to enable it.

All this time, my moca network just works. Im suspecting a firmware update is the culprit.

Dont get me wrong, my moca network is working. I just find it weird that bluecurve modem wont enable moca yet it still works.

And i have only 1 moca adapter. Manufacture clearly states that i only need 1 if my modem already has a built in moca, which bluecurve has... or should i say had. But let me emphasize... my xbox is online through the moca adapter even tho i cant enable it in the modem.

Jump to solution

Yup, if you just have one adapter, then MoCA is enabled....

rstra
Grand Master

@noeldelfin Yup, if you just have one adapter, then MoCA is enabled. Can you tell me which adapter you got? I am hoping to add an AP to my network and dump the range extender, but I want to connect via MoCA.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help