Blue Curve Pods

Pandamum
Grasshopper

Hi. I am currently working from home and rely on my wifi. I have pods placed around my house and they work great, however, where my home office is, the signal is pretty weak. I would like to move on of the pods closer to my home office. I'm hoping this will help. What is the procedure? Can I literally just unplug and plug in a new spot? Thank you. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

yup, just unplug one of the pods and move it to your offi...

shaw-tony

@Pandamum yup, just unplug one of the pods and move it to your office. It can take a few days for it to adjust but you should get a connection once it boots back up.

0 Kudos

Yes, you can just unplug and move the pod, but I would pl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Yes, you can just unplug and move the pod, but I would place it in the "middle", either:

• halfway between your BlueCurve modem and your office,
  • halfway between the nearest pod and your office, if there is another pod between your office and your BlueCurve.

Compare to a baseball outfielder throwing a ball to the "cut-off" infielder, who then throws it to an infielder beside a base, or to the catcher beside home plate. It makes no sense for the outfielder to throw the ball to an infielder standing right beside the catcher.

If the infielder is standing beside the catcher, throw the ball directly to the catcher, because it takes the same arm-strength to throw to either person.

Similarly, putting a pod right beside your office computer will be no better than having the computer directly receive the WiFi signal, either from another existing pod, or directly from the BlueCurve.

0 Kudos

Unplug, move, plug back in, rename, give it a while, day...

rickatk
Master

@shaw-tony wrote:

@Pandamum yup, just unplug one of the pods and move it to your office. It can take a few days for it to adjust but you should get a connection once it boots back up.

Unplug, move, plug back in, rename, give it a while, day or two, to settle in to its new surroundings.

0 Kudos

Moving a pod "to your office" will give the pod the same...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Moving a pod "to your office" will give the pod the same signal-strength as your computer is getting, which will not be beneficial to you.

Instead, move it "halfway" between the nearest pod and your office, so it receives a stronger signal, and sends a stronger signal to your office.

If there is no "nearest pod", move it "halfway" between the BlueCurve and your office.

0 Kudos

I put mine near the doors...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

Moving a pod "to your office" will give the pod the same signal-strength as your computer is getting, which will not be beneficial to you.

Instead, move it "halfway" between the nearest pod and your office, so it receives a stronger signal, and sends a stronger signal to your office.

If there is no "nearest pod", move it "halfway" between the BlueCurve and your office.

@mdk has good advice(as usual). I put mine near the doors of the rooms where the signal is low. That seems to work for me.

0 Kudos

Blue Curve Pods and Machine Learning(AI).

rickatk
Master

@shaw-tony wrote:

I have noticed that over time my numerous devices like to change which pod or my Gateway they like to connect with. This process, I understand, is referred to as “machine learning” or “AI.” I was getting concerned that on some occasions most devices were just connecting to the centrally located Gateway. On other occasions my TV would connect with my bonus room pod skipping past the pod near the family room. Some of the other devices were connecting to the nearest pod. In all cases, signal connection remained good For all connected devices. Each Wireless TV Player and my Bose speakers showed “very good” or “excellent” connection. This started to make me wonder do I really need the pods?  Was the Fibre Gig plan helping in some way with device connectivity?

I pulled down the pods, checked my gear via the Blue Curve app and found that the Wireless TV players started to show “poor” “weak” connectivity again as did my Bose speakers. I reestablished the pods and everything went back to normal. The BlueCurve app was showing my devices connecting to the pods of their choosing but not always the closest pod.

Seems that regardless which pods my devices have chosen to select, the pods have to be on and working for overall good reception on all my devices. Indeed, the BlueCurve app might show the pods connecting to devices of their choosing (not mine) but overall connection of the devices is very good.

As an aside, the Comcast version of the Blue Curve app allows you to map the pods and manipulate which device connects with which pod or gateway. I fear for me that might give me a whole new level of tinkering.

0 Kudos

Following up to my post above... After taking down the po...

rickatk
Master

Following up to my post above...

After taking down the pods then restarting them and letting a few days go by, my MESH network settled down. All my devices appear to be seeking out the closest most appropriate antenna, in my humble opinion. During all of this none of my devices suffered and remained connected and working well.

Interesting all this machine learning and AI. 

0 Kudos

>  ... map the pods and manipulate which device connects...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  ... map the pods and manipulate which device connects with which pod or gateway. I fear for me that might give me a whole new level of tinkering.

Is your definition of "closest" pod based on physical distance from your Bose speakers to each pod (or the BlueCurve itself) or on the number (and thickness) of walls (and position of metal appliances) "as the crow flies" between your Bose and the pods/BlueCurve?

This sounds like "SkyNet" (from the "Terminator" movies) where the A.I. has gotten smarter than its builders. 🙂

0 Kudos

Currently using three Blue Curve pods. Switching to one Fibre Gig Pod

rickatk
Master

@shaw-tony wrote:

I am currently using three Blue Curve pods. They have been working fine even though a little overkill in that some pods only have one device connected. My TV room pod has the TV, Wireless Blue curve player and some other devices. 

I just ordered a single Fibre Gig pod with the hopes or replacing the Blue Curve pods. I hear the Superpods perform very well and are much more powerful using wifi 6. It took two tries and two agents to get my order to stick but the Pod and return label for the old pods are on the way. 

I will provided an update in the near future. BTW: looking forward to the New XB7 Router.

TALK TO US
We're here to help