Shaw Blue Curve Pod with 2.4G and 5G Separate

Enscription
Grasshopper

Hello,

We have our internet setup with two separate networks, one is 2.4G and the other is 5g. We also have some Blue Curve Pods, which I would like to configure. We had them originally configured to the 2.4G, but I would like to re-configure some to use the 5G.

However, after removing them and trying to re-add them, the Blue Curve App is requesting that both my networks be configured under the same name. We cannot do this, as we have other devices that require 2.4G only.

I'm not sure how we originally setup before to just 2.4G, as it has been some time. Any guidance or has the software changed since then making this impossible?

Labels (2)
11 Replies

in order for the BlueCurve Pods to work, you must have a...

shaw-tony

@Enscription in order for the BlueCurve Pods to work, you must have a merged wireless network. Your devices should still work as it beams out both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network. It may have been a glitch to lock onto the 2.4Ghz network as that is not an intended feature.

0 Kudos

Open blue curve app. Go to: Connection, Wifi, then under...

Penpak1989
Grasshopper

Open blue curve app. Go to:
Connection,
Wifi,
then under "Manually-added wi-fi devices" type in the pods MAC (Which can be found under "pod details").
Change "MAC Filtering Mode" from Allow-All to just "Allow". You will need to add your other devices that NEED 2.4 as well because "Allow" will NOT let other devices connect (other than the ones you manually put in).
I have so many problems with Shaw too. The customer services likes to say "We don't have that feature or it's not enabled or it's not possible WHEN IT IS. Like just a week or two ago I called about the option in the 10.0.0.1 admin browser under "Gateway"-"Hardware"-"LAN"-"LAN "Ethernet Port 2" where it gives option to "Associate Ethernet port 2 to Home Security Network. Well at the time I called I forgot where I saw this option and asked them where it was. The guy said "We don't have the option for a Home Security Network, sorry. (As if I was crazy and never saw actually saw the option).
Another time I was asking about Home security network the guy said he will have to give me 2 IP addresses to get that, but was NOT the case (after we got disconnected, because Shaw disconnects ALOT!, I enabled it and connected my Arlo Ultra CCTv modem to it and it worked).
If you do a pin hole reset DO NOT OPEN THE BLUE CURVE APP! You loss soooo many options as soon as you use it. Call Shaw and active the blue curve and do the rest via 10.0.0.1 (options such as "Blocking" every device that tries to connect to your modem (and only allowing the ones you manually put in). BlueCurve will only allow you to "pause" a device (AFTER IT CONNECTS!). I hate BlueCurve and it's spreading to their team. All these issues and I'm stuck on a 2 year plan (600 BlueCurve) which NEVER in the, almost a year now, gave 600Mbps! Most I saw was just over 100Mbps (and trust me I called a million times with them saying turn this off, that off, reset, they reset, send a new modem, send technician, then make excuses.....
I called about the deal they have BlueCurve 600 for like $40/month instead of the $120 and asked if they "can give me that deal (I was still in my promotional 12 months) because of all the problems I have with Shaw and I'm stuck on contract" they said they "can't do anything" and I need to be paying almost $100-110/month because that was the promotion I signed up for (reg price 600 bluecurve $120).
BACK IN THE DAY when you had problems and wanted to cancel they would be glad to say "what if we lowered the priced?" (almost HALF what I was paying which made me forget about ALL the issues that come with Shaw). What now? Shaw doesn't need the business? I used to think Shaw was a great company and actually invested in Shaw Stocks 300 shares were around $10,000 (2017) 8% dividends, paid monthly, meant I would get a free share every month with the D.R.I.P, if I remember correctly and their Media Production Company was paying 20% Dividends at like under $10 a share (think it was like $8) (but never got into that). Thought Shaw was going places (bringing like $400 million CASH to buy internet towers from a company in Quebec). SERVICE WAS GOOD back then...........Now garbage, even had a 8GB unlimited cell plan and all was going good (laid back monthly plan) until I put it on AUTO payments with credit card and after a month decided to take my card off (interest on card too high). I was at work 12 noon, on the "payment due date" (ON THE DAY) and Shaw shut my service OFF!!!! The day was NOT over and I was planning to go to the Freedom Mobility shop after work 4pm (Stilll the same "due date" day). I complained and they offered me $40/month and said I "had my service back on" (DID NOT!). I decided NOT to go with Shaw's Freedom at that point.
STAY AWAY FROM SHAW! They were great, but jump down, and missed "good" and "o.k.", to "bad"!

Forgot to add DISCONNECT YOUR PODS FIRST! You can't see o...

Penpak1989
Grasshopper

Forgot to add DISCONNECT YOUR PODS FIRST! You can't see option to split 2.4 and 5 when you have pods. They take away that privilege (Like the more we get from them the more they block). Take pods away you will get option to split. (take bluecurve app away you get the option to "block" devices). The more you connect with Shaw the more control they take from you (abusive relationship). DEVORCE NOW!

> Most I saw was just over 100Mbps I have two guesses: t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Most I saw was just over 100Mbps

I have two guesses:

1. the Ethernet adapter inside your desktop computer is only 10/100, not 10/100/1000 speed.
  2. you have a "CAT-5" Ethernet cable between your cable-modem and your computer.

For #1, disable the "onboard" Ethernet adapter, and add-in a PCI Ethernet adapter card ($20?) that is capable of "Gigabit" speed. Also, ensure that the current adapter is not configured to "only 100" speed.

For #2,  use a "CAT-5e" cable, which is certified to 1000 Mbits/second, or a "CAT-6" cable, which is even faster. Read the fine print along the length of the Ethernet cable, looking for "CAT-5" or "CAT-5e" text.

Note that "long" Ethernet cables, e.g., 25 or 50 feet, will slightly reduce the maximum speed observed.

Is there a new way to connect pods because the way you su...

Gurbeer
Grasshopper

Is there a new way to connect pods because the way you suggested isn’t working anymore at least for me

0 Kudos

-- have you tried How To: Set up and activate BlueCurve P...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gurbeer -- have you tried How To: Set up and activate BlueCurve Pods

from Shaw Support's web-site?

0 Kudos

The pods are designed to setup easily on your dual band S...

rickatk
Master

@Gurbeer wrote:

Is there a new way to connect pods because the way you suggested isn’t working anymore at least for me

The pods are designed to setup easily on your dual band Shaw BlueCurve Gateway router. You can’t run the pods on discrete bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). You can set up your network as a dual band network and any of your devices will connect regardless of their requirements such as 2.4Ghz only. The devices and the router will sort it out. No need to mess around with Mac filtering and such. As far as the pods, same thing. The pods will figure out the best way to connect to your main router(Gateway). All you have to do is make sure you follow the location and the setup instructions.

0 Kudos

Thank you for your input. Could you please elaborate more...

JLangley
Grasshopper

Thank you for your input. Could you please elaborate more step by step how to resolve the issue of allowed devices and inputting manually the devices to connect to 2.4ghz.

We had set up two Networks with same ssid but with dash after each separate ssid indicating ssid-2.4 and ssid-5ghz. We had set the networks up prior to receiving the 3 pods for mesh.

After reading about the requirement for pods that they need to use what Shaw calls "band steering", we are disappointed to leave any decisions up to the router pods to make speed selections. We need our laptops and desktops to connect at 5ghz and rest of our devices to connect at 2.4ghz. Shaw says we must use Band Steering. So after plugging in the pods, our computers mentioned above lost the choice of 5ghz and only shows the ssid-2.4ghz as our wifi connection.

Since both ssid's were set up to use with same password, it seems that the pods merged the two ssid networks into one.

You mentioned the allow all vs allow and if you can let us know if you have resolved the ssid issue for both 2.4 and 5ghz by manually putting in devices please give us more step by step if you wouldn't mind. 

Much appreciated.

Happy to explain further... I have worked through all of...

rickatk
Master

@JLangley wrote:

Thank you for your input. Could you please elaborate more step by step how to resolve the issue of allowed devices and inputting manually the devices to connect to 2.4ghz.

We had set up two Networks with same ssid but with dash after each separate ssid indicating ssid-2.4 and ssid-5ghz. We had set the networks up prior to receiving the 3 pods for mesh.

After reading about the requirement for pods that they need to use what Shaw calls "band steering", we are disappointed to leave any decisions up to the router pods to make speed selections. We need our laptops and desktops to connect at 5ghz and rest of our devices to connect at 2.4ghz. Shaw says we must use Band Steering. So after plugging in the pods, our computers mentioned above lost the choice of 5ghz and only shows the ssid-2.4ghz as our wifi connection.

Since both ssid's were set up to use with same password, it seems that the pods merged the two ssid networks into one.

You mentioned the allow all vs allow and if you can let us know if you have resolved the ssid issue for both 2.4 and 5ghz by manually putting in devices please give us more step by step if you wouldn't mind. 

Much appreciated.

Happy to explain further...

I have worked through all of this many times over the past year or two, using AirPort Extreme and Shaw routers. I even tried two Airport Extreme’s in an extended network fashion. All that did was cut my network performance in half like many network extenders did a year or two ago. Enter Mesh. This uses a different technology and requires both bands to operate correctly, utilizing the penetration and distance of 2.4Ghz band and the speed of the 5Ghz band. When the pods came out I tried them with the help of two Shaw techs on a site visit. The conclusion the pods were net really required. I was getting sufficient network coverage. I even tried separating my bands to get 5Ghz for my Samsung TV which was at one end of the house, not really required. By this time I had dropped my really good AirPort Extreme router because the Shaw Gateway was equally capable with band steering etc etc. I left my network in dual mode all was good. Then then XI6 Wireless TVs Players came a long. I found the the boxes worked pretty good after some initial problems were corrected with extra back end provisioning from Shaw. I then decided to drop in three pods because the Xi6 boxes were reporting lowish signals in some locations. The pods corrected that problem and all is good now. Actually all is really good with Fibre +Gig. 

My point in all of this don’t worry about your laptops pointing to 5Ghz and other devices pointing to 2.4Ghz and how they connect. Just make sure you follow the location guidelines in setting up your pods and gateway and let your gear decide which pods and or the Gateway to connect to. Really the bands will become irrelevant with this kind of setup.

I suggest you start over again: Factory Reset your Gateway. Clear your devices network settings pointing to the Shaw Gateway. Download the BlueCurve App onto your mobile device. Use the setup procedure including the code bar procedure on the bottom of Gateway and your BlueCurve app. Then add your pods following the setup procedure. Then add your devices. Remember you are only looking for one network SSID, the one you setup on the Gateway. 

I hope this helps. 

@mdk posted some helpful links as well.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help