I have setup the BlueCurve home app and I have created profiles for each of my children. For each of the kids profiles I have turned on parental controls, which are supposed to block inappropriate content. However even with parental controls turned on each of these devices are able to connect to pronographic material.
What's the point of parental controls if they don't work?
Also it would be great if you could adjust the DNS setting so that parents could also run through OPENDNS which filters adult content.
Right now I am not happy with the BlueCurve experience, most of what's advertised doesn't work for me.
Thanks for sharing your feedback! While the Parental Control feature should block most content deemed inappropriate, it's not guaranteed to block everything. We've partnered with a third party vendor and they regularly review and update the criteria used for the parental control feature, so hopefully that's something that will improve with time. When you turn on Parental Controls, it should take effect fairly quickly but you may still be able to access websites that have previously been accessed. You can find more information on that here: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-18577
you did did not answer the original question. The question/feedback posted by themisfit is that parental controls is not working AT ALL as advertised, not that sometimes “a bad one slips through”.
ive confirmed the finding that parental controls, as implemented, is broken. And give my hunch at to why.
Steps to reproduce
. Go through steps to create a profile, eg “kids”
. Add a device to the profile, eg “Jeff-iPhone”
. Turn “on” parental controls for the profile (this will apply to all devices listed in the profile)
. Open a browser and do a search for content that should be blocked (may have to wait a few min until things propagate)
. Notice that parental controls works, blocking the unwanted content
. However (important) continue the same test throughout the day (or two). Be sure to leave the house and return this forces the BlueCurve router to re-register the device
. Notice that the same site/search that was blocked in first test now does not block, in fact behaviour is that nothing is blocked
. Open app and notice that BlueCurve has renamed the device with some different name, eg “Jeff-iPhone33”. Because of this name change (by BlueCurve) it’s no longer recognized as the same device as the one set in profile in above step, and this ignored as a device with a parental controls rule.
hope that makes sense. Doing this late.
I think the the root of the problem is the rule relies on the arbitrary device name set by the user (via the device preferences). That’s the wrong way to do it because that name changes. The device should be registered by its MAC Address. That never changes, no matter how many times the kids want to change the name of their device.
Please fix this Shaw. And allow us to change dns settings too