BlueCurve Technicolor Modem - Chronic instability after factory reset

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

Hi all,

so I’ve had Shaw for close to a year now. I don’t like the price of the handicapped upload speed but whatever. It’s the best that I can get in the area and it’ll have to do. 

Now, I’d heard about the newer bluecurve modem that has WiFi 6, and with the terrible coverage of the XB6 I thought it might be worth trying to convince the chat it’s worth an upgrade to the new modem. We’ll chat wouldn’t budge unless I did a factory reset which I hesitated in because outside of the WiFi coverage the service is if nothing else, solid as a rock. 

but I let my greed and desire for those WiFi 6 speeds take over. Biggest regret of my life. 

since that day (Wednesday, I believe) I have had non stop issues with this modem. Occasionally it’ll just redo the boot up connection sequence, but too often the modem will just… die and I will get a solid red light and I’ll have to do nothing more than a power cycle to get it back up and going. The power cycle always solves it, but this isn’t a solution when it can happen twice in 2 hours. Which usually is the case. It goes down, reboot, 2-3 hours later down again. Reboot and it’s good for maybe a day before it next cross out. 

I would love anything insight while I sit on my hands and wait for Shaw’s technicians to come through. I made the foolish mistake to cancel my appointment today because I thought it was my problem in my setup. How wrong i was. 

11 Replies

So just to clarify, since this post I've dropped connecti...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

So just to clarify, since this post I've dropped connection no less than 7 times. 

I really am a loss as to what to do, my wife works from home and I can't get a tech out here until Tuesday. I'm on a cancellation list but that does me little good without any assurances.

Is there anything on my end that I can figure out? System and event logs show nothing, the biggest thing of note is some IPV6 forward blocks but that's it, every other log is empty.

0 Kudos

Contact Shaw directly. You need more help than what can b...

rickatk
Master

@andsoitgoes wrote:

So just to clarify, since this post I've dropped connection no less than 7 times. 

I really am a loss as to what to do, my wife works from home and I can't get a tech out here until Tuesday. I'm on a cancellation list but that does me little good without any assurances.

Is there anything on my end that I can figure out? System and event logs show nothing, the biggest thing of note is some IPV6 forward blocks but that's it, every other log is empty.

@andsoitgoes Contact Shaw directly. You need more help than what can be offered here. Try the chat applet for faster service.

Support

GREge99
Grasshopper

I also got talked into faster internet which came with a new device and I also am regretting it now.

Shaw just swapped out my old device for BlueCurve. Now I'm struggling to try and get it to work at least as well as the old device and I'm having difficulty.  Chatted to Shaw tech support and was basically told that too bad, you're on your own figure it out.  Literally all he did was tell me how to logon on to the device; that's it.  I asked for some guidance but was told no.  I asked for the case to be escalated to next tier support and was told that wouldn't make any difference because they all received the same training (which means that they are all equally useless).

Shaw tech support will tell you that they cannot (or will not) support the device that they ship (I didn't ask for a new device it came with the plan).

Its a disgrace.

0 Kudos

Malfunctioning Shaw device

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@andsoitgoes -- now that it is "unstable", you seem to have a valid reason for Shaw to replace it. Hopefully, you might get an XB7 ???

By the way, the WiFi 6 will only give you faster wireless speeds within your local network,  and only if your devices have WiFi 6 capability. The primary bottleneck is the speed between your cable-modem and Shaw's network, depending on what you pay per month, and whether Shaw supports 100 Mbps uploads in your region.

0 Kudos

-- I did not ask for a new device; it came with the plan...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@GREge99 -- I did not ask for a new device; it came with the plan

I recently renewed my two-year Value Plan (only $8/month month than my previous one). I was given the option to "upgrade" from my HITRON modem to the BlueCurve, but I declined the offer. So, rather than getting 100 Mbps for uploads, I am staying with 15 Mbps, which is OK for me.

Can you convince Shaw to "downgrade" you to your previous device?

Contact Shaw Support (www.shaw.ca/chat) or 1-888-472-2222. Ask the Agent to remotely logon to the BlueCurve, and to view the "signal-strength" (and other values) reaching the BlueCurve. It seems that the BlueCurve is more sensitive to less-than-optimal connections than the HITRON. So, maybe a service-call to your home could be productive.

0 Kudos

I’ve tried. Chat support tried to reprovision the device...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

I’ve tried. Chat support tried to reprovision the device and I’ve redone the factory reset to very limited success. 

Things have settled but I have a tech coming tomorrow. Hopefully they can at least address things. 

0 Kudos

So shaw tech has come and gone. The only thing done was...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

So shaw tech has come and gone.

The only thing done was to turn off the wifi hotspot network.

I've discovered a new odd complication to this whole debacle, last night I turned my xbox one x on for the first time since this whole nonsense started and was presented with a device that was blocked from the Internet. It was connected, no differently, as such:

Shaw Modem --> Mesh Wifi Router --> Unmanaged Switch --> Xbox

No dice. Removed the cable, connected wirelessly to my Mesh wifi, no dice. Connected to my Shaw modem directly wired, no dice. Wirelessly to shaw modem, no other settings, perfect connection

The weird error that was happening, and I hazard to think this may have been what was happening with the ipad, is as follows:

When connected wirelessly to the mesh network, or wired to the shaw modem, I would do a connection test.

During that test I would have 98-99% packet loss. Was unable to upload, got around 108mbps download but all other tests failed as "Not available"

The very second I switched to a wireless connection directly to the shaw modem, all was fine. What? Why? Why is this working? What the hell is going on to create this problem? All this seemed to come up after that initial factory reset and today proved that even having a tech come out is insufficient to solve what's going on. I was basically told that he's not a gamer (fine) and that other devices connected wired and wirelessly work fine (mostly true)

It seems older devices are having issues, and stuff wired into the back of the modem are the problem. I'm losing my GD mind and I have no other options beyond shaw to use for service. I can't even throw in the towel because they're the only **bleep** game in town.

0 Kudos

oh on a positive note, seems at least my internet isn't d...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

oh on a positive note, seems at least my internet isn't dropping 4 times a day. Of course now that he's gone, I've just screwed myself over.... sigh.

0 Kudos

Does anyone have the foggiest clue how to get a tech to c...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

Does anyone have the foggiest clue how to get a tech to come out here that actually understands networks? 

I know my system is a bit convoluted. I’ve got a lot of devices. I get that. But I also know that it worked fine prior to a reset.

how can I get in touch with a higher tier tech support agent? Or am I SOL? I am seriously concerned there’s some issue with the Ethernet port, but how could the hardware have failed? I was basically given no real choice other than swap the modem but it was so late by the time he left I just couldn’t spare the time. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help