Jump to solution

Can’t find an option for static Ip

eviltoast
Grasshopper

Hi all 

I just received a new BlueCurve modem. I can’t seem to find the option to setup some static IP address. Is this an option with the BlueCurve Modem or will I need to bridge it and connect my own modem? 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Awesome response.  I wanted a static IP for a raspberry p...

eviltoast
Grasshopper

Awesome response. 
I wanted a static IP for a raspberry pi that I use to run my 3D printer. It never really turns off so going by what you said I should be good. 

Thanks for the info 

have a great day 🙂 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jump to solution

-- do you really need a "static" private IP-address withi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@eviltoast -- do you really need a "static" private IP-address within your local network?

Once one of your devices sends a DHCP-request to the DHCP-server inside the Shaw cable-modem, the device receives a "private" IP-address and a TTL (Time To Live). The TTL is like an residential apartment lease -- you pay the month's rent, and you get to live in the apartment for the month.

If the device "follows the rules" for using DHCP, then the device will send a "DHCP-renew" request after 50% of the TTL value. Usually, the response to the "DHCP-renew" will be the SAME IP-address.  So, as long as the device stays powered-on, 24/7, then the device will always have been granted the same IP-address, over and over again.

Also, the DHCP-server inside the Shaw cable-modem tends to "remember" the device. So, if the device is powered-off for a long time, its "lease" for the IP-address will have expired. Then, when the device is powered-on, and sends a DHCP-request, the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem will "remember" the most-recent IP-address that was granted. So, the device will "regain" the same address that it was using, before the "power-off" interval.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Awesome response.  I wanted a static IP for a raspberry p...

eviltoast
Grasshopper

Awesome response. 
I wanted a static IP for a raspberry pi that I use to run my 3D printer. It never really turns off so going by what you said I should be good. 

Thanks for the info 

have a great day 🙂 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I also need to assign a static IP for specific devices......

djfunk
Grasshopper

I also need to assign a static IP for specific devices...and if someone replies with "do you really need this" I'm going to reach through the &@%* networks and choke you...

Jump to solution

I worked out on my own. The leave it on and it will keep...

eviltoast
Grasshopper

I worked out on my own. The leave it on and it will keep the IP address didn't work. As within a day it changed. 
There is a web portal log in 
10.0.0.1 user id is admin password is password. It will ask you to change that right away. Once you are in there you will connected devices find the one to want and lock the IP 

Jump to solution

I'm sorry some one looking for a static IP for there loca...

Kal318
Grasshopper

I'm sorry some one looking for a static IP for there local network has the experience to know what there doing. My 3D printing software on my PC needs a static IP to connect to my 3D printer. Which is not on all the time. So when I start my printer it gets issued a new IP which the software on my PC does not know from one print season to the next. This is very annoying. I do turn off my printer for a few days at a time and that's all it take to loose the IP.

Jump to solution

-- when I start my printer it gets issued a new IP    On...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kal318 -- when I start my printer it gets issued a new IP 

On my HITRON cable-modem, I can power-off a device for a month without losing the IP-address.

What seems to happen is that the HITRON "remembers" the MAC-address of the device, and always gives the previous IP-address (before the last power-off).

Or, on your cable-modem, set the duration of the DHCP-lease to a very-long time, namely "weeks", so that it less-likely that the lease will "expire".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I'm not sure if you saw the above post from eviltoast: >...

rshelfor
Grasshopper

I'm not sure if you saw the above post from eviltoast:

> There is a web portal log in 
> 10.0.0.1 user id is admin password is password. It will ask you to change that right away. Once you are in there you will connected devices find the one to > want and lock the IP 

This interface is much more standard and has the ability to set reserved ips on certain devices.

I also noticed that opening a port forwarding rule (through the Shaw Home app on the iPhone) to the device will also convert it to a reserved IP on its current address automatically.

Jump to solution

Thanks for nothing.

shanedoyle
Grasshopper

Thanks for nothing.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help