Jump to solution

cancellation fee that's unfair.

moooso
Grasshopper

Internet Slows Down at Night.
Around 6 to 10 devices are connected to the network.
I'm using 600, when I did Shaw's internet speed test in the daytime, the download speed was around 210M, at night only 3M(I disconnect several devices and connected only two). That's one seventieth or one two hundredth of the speed they promised on their 600 value plan.
I understand that weekday evenings are peak hours for most internet users, network congestion happened every night. 
I have done everything I found on the internet to make it faster but no luck.
I believe their technician can't fix this problem as well.

I'm on the two-year value plan. they told me that you have to pay a cancellation fee if you want to change the provider.
But Shaw has to keep their promises of internet speed. If not, they can't ask me for a cancellation fee I believe.

They have to apologize and compensate about this matter without cancellation fee.

Because they breeched their promise first. I DID NOT GET THE INTERNET SPEED THEY PROMISED!

Am I wrong?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

As you are understandably dissatisfied with the service y...

rickatk
Master

@moooso As you are understandably dissatisfied with the service you are getting you need to exercise due diligence and allow Shaw full opportunity to rectify the problem. If the problem can’t be rectified then you have demonstrated Shaw has breached the contract bT failing to delivered the promised services. You may need to go to small claims court to sort this out but first Shaw has to be given every opportunity to rectify the problem. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Jump to solution

Are these wired or wireless speeds? Have you had a servic...

rstra
Grand Master

Are these wired or wireless speeds? Have you had a service technician come by to check things out? 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- when I did Shaw's internet speed test in the daytime,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@moooso -- when I did Shaw's internet speed test in the daytime, the download speed was around 210 Mbps

That is far below what you should get. Contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) and get the Shaw Agent to remotely connect to your cable-modem, for them to view the "signal-strength" reaching it.

Do you live in a single-family house, or a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building)? If the latter, it could be the wiring of all the units on your level, or the wiring from the MURB's "wiring closet" out to the street that is your bottle-neck, especially in the evening, when everybody in the MURB is using the Internet.  Do other people on your level have the same symptoms? Do other people on other levels have the same symptoms?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

wireless 3m, wired 4.5m. service technician is coming nex...

moooso
Grasshopper

wireless 3m, wired 4.5m. service technician is coming next Wednesday, 4 days later from now on.

The technician over the phone told me to do things such as reset the modem etc. 

Nothings better. That's what I ask about the cancellation and recognized that I have to pay around $210 cancellation fee.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I live in a duplex townhouse. My neighbors are all retire...

moooso
Grasshopper

I live in a duplex townhouse. My neighbors are all retired people. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- My neighbors are all retired people.  Some of my neigh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@moooso -- My neighbors are all retired people. 

Some of my neighbours also are retired people. During the current COVID-19 pandemic, they are making increased usage of their Internet, to keep in touch ("Bitches-and-stitches-and-coffee" knitters, E-visits to their Doctors, ZOOMing with grandchildren, et cetera).  They are not Luddites.

Yes, if you have Shaw Internet, but not Shaw TV, the cancellation fee in your Two-Year Value Plan is $15/month. So, $210 is the fee for 14 months, as compared to paying the monthly fee ($80?) for the next 14 months.

If you want to switch to Telus Optik, Telus has, in the past, offered up to $200 in "Telus Credit", if you switch. As a "new" customer of TELUS, you should also get a "promotional" rate for 2 years, and then a large price-increase after that term.

Keep us posted about the result of the technician's visit.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

As you are understandably dissatisfied with the service y...

rickatk
Master

@moooso As you are understandably dissatisfied with the service you are getting you need to exercise due diligence and allow Shaw full opportunity to rectify the problem. If the problem can’t be rectified then you have demonstrated Shaw has breached the contract bT failing to delivered the promised services. You may need to go to small claims court to sort this out but first Shaw has to be given every opportunity to rectify the problem. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you, That's what I want to hear. "Shaw has to keep...

moooso
Grasshopper

Thank you, That's what I want to hear.

"Shaw has to keep their promises of internet speed. If not, they can't ask me for a cancellation fee I believe.

They have to apologize and compensate for this matter without a cancellation fee.

Because they breached their promise first. I AM NOT GETTING THE INTERNET SPEED THEY PROMISED!"

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Life is majorly more expensive what you always bout is 40...

taz12004
Grasshopper

Life is majorly more expensive what you always bout is 40% more expensive everything need to live rent heat food even doing your laundry. Trying to keep food in the apartment is a lot more expensive living us way more expensive what you could pay for Internet and tv before now on top of living is 40% more in top of what paid before when you call and tell them you want to make your bill cheaper so can afford shaw services and still are staying with shaw yet instead of the internet tv I am wanting internet with streaming so is affordable for me the rep just said if you do you will have to pay a $695 cancellation fee. Headed toward 1000$ just so you can afford their services yet how in the heck for 2 years early your paying over $500 almost $700. The rest of use have to be able to live not just the people at shaw/Rogers. It's not like I am leaving shaw I am still with them but it's kind of these days I'd am not able to make my bill a small amount cheaper they keep my business or am going to have to get rid of shaw and they won't have my business. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- wireless 3m, wired 4.5m. Some older WiFi network adap...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@moooso -- wireless 3m, wired 4.5m.

@taz12004  -- Some older WiFi network adapters are not capable of speeds over 56 Mbps (or 112 Mbps). Is that your case?

Read the tiny labeling on the Ethernet cable.  If you see "CAT-5", not "CAT-5e" nor "CAT-6", your cable is limited to 100 Mbps. Replace the cable.

Some older computers have a 10/100 network adapter, not a 10/100/1000 network adapter.  So, your adapter might max-out at 100 Mbps. Is that your case?

The Shaw SpeedTest requires a moderately-fast computer, e.g., dual-core at over 2.5 Ghz, to run the test at full speed. So, a slower CPU gives lower results. Is that your case?

> service technician is coming next Wednesday, 4 days later from now on.

Did he/she/they help?

> The technician over the phone told me to do things such as reset the modem etc.

That is easy & quick to try.  Did it help?

> That's what I ask about the cancellation and recognized that I have to pay around $210 cancellation fee.

Several times, TELUS has offered me a "buy-out", namely $20/month for each remaining month on my Shaw two-year Value Plan, if I were to switch to Telus Optik Internet.  Have you tried to get this promotion from TELUS? As a "new customer" of TELUS, you might get promotional pricing for the first 12 months.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help