Cannot access my company's VPN after switch to shaw 300 with Arris XB6 modem, please help !!!

kevinbmm
Grasshopper

I have the new shaw modem installed last week, and everything is fine except cannot connect to my company's VPN, and it's a deal killer . 

Have tried everything to identify the issue, but i am pretty sure it's a shaw problem. 

I have tried different devices with different operation system, Linux, Windows 7, and 10 and Android, all of them have the same problem as long as I am connecting to shaw modem at home. And the same device works if I am connecting with our internet provider. 

I have used shaw with Hitron modem before, it worked fine. 

Please help !

Labels (2)
2 Replies

Re: Cannot access my company's VPN after switch to shaw 300 with Arris XB6 modem, please help !!!

Not applicable

What kind/type of VPN is it?

If you can, try your own router (or borrow one from someone), put the XB6 into bridge mode, and see if you can connect then.

0 Kudos

Re: Cannot access my company's VPN after switch to shaw 300 with Arris XB6 modem, please help !!!

mjducharme
Grasshopper

I am assuming that the Arris XB6 probably doesn't support L2TP passthrough and PPTP passthrough. Passthrough features were originally put in to routers as a workaround for not having a NAT translation standard for VPN's, but there has been such a standard for the past decade. Most VPN's now support NAT translation, so vendors have been removing such passthrough features in general from newer routers since they are made redundant by the newer VPN servers. Your company's VPN must be running off some pretty ancient technology (i.e. Windows Server 2003 or 2008?) or must be horribly misconfigured if you actually need those passthrough features in the modern day to even be able to connect to the VPN.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help