Cell phone texts affecting cordless home phones

Steve34
Grasshopper

Recently we’ve noticed that the arrival of text messages on iPhone (Rogers cellular) has caused cordless home phone calls (Telus) to disconnect. It’s happened several times and the disconnection happens at the moment the text message arrives, so it appears to be cause and effect. I post this here in case anyone thinks there maybe something about the wifi (Shaw high speed) that’s involved, as the cell phone always has wifi on. The cordless phone is not a VOIP phone and it’s well away from router etc.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

What model of cordless phone do you have?

rstra
Grand Master

@Steve34 What model of cordless phone do you have? Does this happen with text messages and iMessages?

-- the arrival of text messages on iPhone (Rogers cellula...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Steve34 -- the arrival of text messages on iPhone (Rogers cellular) has caused cordless home phone calls (Telus) to disconnect.  I post this here in case anyone thinks there maybe something about the wifi (Shaw high speed) that’s involved ...as the cell phone always has WiFi on.

It seems complicated to have Rogers cellular, Shaw WiFi, and wireless handsets. Interference between the WiFi channel(s) that your Shaw cable-modem is using and the wireless channel that your handsets are using?

Did the sender use the Apple iMessage app, or some other text-messaging app?

On my iPhone, when composing a message and leaving the SUBJECT line empty, it seems to NOT use the iMessage protocol.

What happens on your iPhone if you disable cellular (and cellular data), leaving the iPhone with only its WiFi connectivity, and have somebody send you a message? Received over WiFi? Not received until you enable cellular?

It’s a Gigaset C530, and it happened using iMessage.

Steve34
Grasshopper

It’s a Gigaset C530, and it happened using iMessage.

0 Kudos

There are reasons for using different legacy providers an...

Steve34
Grasshopper

There are reasons for using different legacy providers and systems, not least because the Rogers cell service is poor in our area of the North Shore. 

The problems occurred when the landline phone initiated the call and the incoming texts came in as iMessages. I’ve tried to artificially recreate the problem today with no success, using iMessage, non-Apple text messaging, disconnecting cellular, trying cordless phone in other parts of the house, etc. The cordless phone doesn’t seem to have the capability to change channels so couldn’t try that. I guess this is just one of those weird things - appreciate the responses.

0 Kudos

Try changing channels.

rickatk
Master

Try changing channels.

TALK TO US
We're here to help