Jump to solution

Email recieving but not sending

johnb1
Grasshopper

This one's got me mighty stumped, so I'm turning to the Shaw community for help. I'm trying to help my mom with her MacBook Pro (2019) which is running Catalina, and she is using Mac Mail to get her mail. She has an IMAP account, and the incoming is setup fine. Username and password checks out OK, port is good at 993, SSL is turned on, and authenticate via Password is turned on too. I have tried to change the outgoing mail using the Shaw server settings per IMAP setup, but it won't accept the user name or password or any of that, and I can't verify the setting for outgoing mail, and when I do it says something about only being allowed to have one SMTP account... I spoke with a nice lady from techical support, and we verified that the password and username was good, and with Shaw webmail it worked fine.  She explained to me that Shaw doesn't support Mac, which was a given...... She suggested I call Apple for support, which is understandable, as this is  a Mac after all..... So.....I suspect that there's a bug in Mac Mail or Catalina itself, but I'm mighty stumped.  I've also tried to set up her iPhone with all the correct settings as per Shaw's instructions, and the same thing happens........

thanks for any help, suggestions, tips etc

John B

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

thank you for your reply, shaw-tony...... you are a wonde...

johnb1
Grasshopper

thank you for your reply, shaw-tony......

you are a wonderful and smart man..

Yes, that was half of the problem. The other half was was that my mom messed up her email settings, trying to combine Shaw IMAP with iCloud and get both at once....which clearly you can't do.  So, changed the email password to something stronger, trashed her old email account, set her up with a new one (easy, actually) verified the server settings, ports and the correct email password and user name  for both incoming and outgoing mail......and.....it worked !! blockage is gone. Everything works like a champ

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Jump to solution

I've seen several cases of this. It is possible your emai...

shaw-tony

@johnb1 I've seen several cases of this. It is possible your email password is not strong enough for the IMAP settings with Mac Mail. Can you try and update the email password to something very strong, then update that in Mac Mail to see if the same problem continues?

Alternatively, is there an option to set this up with POP settings?

Jump to solution

thank you for your reply, shaw-tony...... you are a wonde...

johnb1
Grasshopper

thank you for your reply, shaw-tony......

you are a wonderful and smart man..

Yes, that was half of the problem. The other half was was that my mom messed up her email settings, trying to combine Shaw IMAP with iCloud and get both at once....which clearly you can't do.  So, changed the email password to something stronger, trashed her old email account, set her up with a new one (easy, actually) verified the server settings, ports and the correct email password and user name  for both incoming and outgoing mail......and.....it worked !! blockage is gone. Everything works like a champ

Jump to solution

For 3 months now Not Apple it's Shaw , keep getting run a...

KRLH
Grasshopper

For 3 months now

Not Apple

it's Shaw , keep getting run around !

Apple went through it all

my 4 devices do this , can’t get anywhere with Shaw 

out going server says Shaw ( Offline )

All 4 devices , one with different email

please fix this Shaw !

Jump to solution

More details needed. Your outgoing email server should be...

rstra
Grand Master

More details needed. Your outgoing email server should be mail.shaw.ca

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw is completely useless: "We don't support Apple... co...

fawcetta
Grasshopper

Shaw is completely useless: "We don't support Apple... contact Apple for help..." the issue is not about Apple but about Shaw mail settings. I used the ones Shaw provided but can only send mail through ethernet but not wifi using same settings. I am paying for tech support, and Apple is the largest computer brand in the world. Apple does not provide tech support beyond the warranty period, and this is a Shaw issue. Really disgusting how Shaw is passing the buck and taking no responsibility. If this does not get solved soon I'm going to cancel all my shaw accounts (after being a customer for 30+ years).

Jump to solution

-- can only send mail through ethernet but not wifi using...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@fawcetta -- can only send mail through ethernet but not wifi using same settings.

When using your WiFi connection, are you connected to the WiFi network provided by your cable-modem, or via the "ShawOpen" or the "ShawGo" networks that are available in many public locations, or via WiFi to some other provider, e.g., Telus or Starbucks or A&W "free WiFi" networks?

Have you followed: How to set up email in Apple macOS Mail

while connected to your own WiFi network?

Jump to solution

Sorry for delayed response. I was connecting through my o...

fawcetta
Grasshopper

Sorry for delayed response. I was connecting through my own router.

Update: I decided not to bother with this issue for awhile, but today I tried again, several months later, following the instructions in the article, below.

I wonder if the instructions were updated since I tried last time, or if Shaw fixed some kind of glitch. All I know is that, to my surprise, I can now apparently send outgoing e-mail through Shaw server!

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-use-shaw-internet-services-with-apple-products/t...

Jump to solution

Hi Grasshopper,  wondering if you have some more insight...

haydia
Grasshopper

Hi Grasshopper, 

wondering if you have some more insight on this issue.  when you mention that your mom messed up her email settings trying to  combine Shaw IMAP and iCloud what does that mean?   I'm trying to fix my IPhone because I can't send mail but I can receive mail. 

Getting frustrated with this.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I'm trying to fix my IPhone because I can't send mail...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@haydia -- I'm trying to fix my IPhone because I can't send mail but I can receive mail. 

If your iPhone is connecting via WiFi to the WiFi network provided by your Shaw cable-modem:

1. set your "outgoing SMTP server" to "smtp.shaw.ca"
  2. set your "outgoing SMTP port" to "25"
  3. disable any "requires password authentication"

Yes, you will have an "insecure" (non-encrypted) transmission between your iPhone and your cable-modem, but a "hacker" would need to be physically close-enough to your cable-modem to "sniff" your WiFi traffic, e.g., somebody in your apartment/condo building, or somebody on the adjacent residential house.

But, if the above settings work, you have a "bypass" -- halfway to a "solution" for your issue.

TALK TO US
We're here to help