Emails blocked by Shaw?

Not applicable

I work for the IT department of our local Library and we are currently unable to send emails to the shaw.ca domain. The error returned is "recipient rejected". I have tested sending emails to the same email address from other domains (gmail) and they work just fine so the email address is good. Is it possible that our domain is blocked somehow?

Labels (1)
33 Replies

Re: Emails blocked by Shaw?

shaw-tamara

Hi asweetnam 

We can try to see if we can get more info on this for you. Is this happening with just one @shaw.ca email address or multiples? 

0 Kudos

Re: Emails blocked by Shaw?

Not applicable

Just one for now, I don't currently know anyone with a shaw email address to test with.

0 Kudos

We have a web site from which we send emails. As of yeste...

EDLeavitt
Grasshopper

We have a web site from which we send emails. As of yesterday all emails sent from the web site to shaw.ca accounts using BCC are being rejected as follows:  Message is that it has been blocked. 550 5.1.0 sender rejected.

This just started happening yesterday, May 28

0 Kudos

- can you send to that ID from some other ID on a differe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@EDLeavitt - can you send to that ID from some other ID on a different Internet Service Provider, such as TELUS, via your (or a colleague's) personal ID? Can you contact the recipient via telephone?

Some Internet users do switch Internet Service Providers, to get "promotional" prices for a year, and then switch again, after the end of that year.  Perhaps, your correspondent has switched.

0 Kudos

I can send to the addresses from my gmail account. The me...

EDLeavitt
Grasshopper

I can send to the addresses from my gmail account. The messages are being blocked to all users with @shaw.ca accounts. I don't think it has anything to do with the recipients.

This just started happening yesterday with emails sent via the web site. We did change internet provides but that was several weeks ago.

0 Kudos

Yes, I can send messages from my own gmail account, it is...

EDLeavitt
Grasshopper

Yes, I can send messages from my own gmail account, it is just the ones that are being sent from the website using wp smtp Gmail mailer. As I said the email rejection just started yesterday.

0 Kudos

> We did change internet providers but that was several w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> We did change internet providers but that was several weeks ago. The email rejection just started yesterday.

There are many sites that maintain a list of "bad" SMTP-servers -- those servers that are well-known to send "spam" E-mail messages.  It's possible, for some reason, that the IP-address of the SMTP-server that you have been using to have been added to one of those lists.  So, if Shaw's mail-server finds that IP-address on a list, it could be rejecting the message.

Have you reconfigured your software to use the SMTP-server provided by your new Internet Provider? That server should not be listed on any of those sites.

Do you have the full E-mail headers of one of the "rejected" messages? (You can "xxxxx" out the Shaw E-mail ID of the intended recipient.)

0 Kudos

I'm having something similar happening and today is the f...

stlukesrd
Grasshopper

I'm having something similar happening and today is the first time I have experienced it. I have been sending to this same list for years.

Mine says "sender rejected."

550 5.1.0 <st*******rd@gmail.com> sender rejected

The message was sent with recipients in the BCC field. I had 6 returned with this message and each of those 6 were shaw.ca addresses.

0 Kudos

> 550 5.1.0 <st*******rd@gmail.com> sender rejected. I do...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> 550 5.1.0 <st*******rd@gmail.com> sender rejected.

I doubt that Shaw's mail-servers are blocking the entire domain. Maybe, just your E-mail ID? Got a friend with a GMAIL ID different from yours, who can try sending from their ID to a Shaw ID?

I just sent an E-mail from my GMAIL ID to my Shaw ID -- just one recipient, not many -- and it worked correctly.

Was there anything else in that "rejected" message, a few lines below that "550" message, that added more details?

TALK TO US
We're here to help