Fiber Internet

Not applicable

Hi Im wondering about shaws fiberplus service and wondering how its installed and how much its cost.

Thanks

10 Replies

Re: Fiber Internet

shaw-tony

Hey mattchew,

Thank you for reaching out! I believe you are inquiring about fibre to the home? Shaw FibrePlus is our fibre optic backbone across Canada. As for fibre to the home, we currently have this in select apartment/condo buildings. If your building has fibre to the home, you can contact our customer service team at 1-855-216-6392. 

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Not applicable

So If it a house and it doesnt have fiber coming in yet can i still get it hooked up to my home and also would it cost more then cable or same pricing ?

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Hello,

We currently do not offer fibre to the home, aside from select buildings where it has already been installed as Tony mentioned above. That said, if you need something faster than our residential Internet 600 package, we do have Gigabit internet available from Shaw Business. You can find more information on pricing by visiting https://business.shaw.ca/internet/businessinternet

0 Kudos

rickatk
Master

mattchew wrote:

So If it a house and it doesnt have fiber coming in yet can i still get it hooked up to my home and also would it cost more then cable or same pricing ?

I wouldn’t be too worried about the so called last mile being fibre. With Docsis 3.1 you will get the same kind of connectivity and throughput as competitors fibre solutions. There is a lot of marketing hype around fibre. Check out the details by searching for Docsis 3.1. 

When it comes to your area and you want really fast connection, check out “gigabit service.”

0 Kudos

This is, unfortunately, false; the differentiating factor...

jeremyfelix
Grasshopper

I wouldn’t be too worried about the so called last mile being fibre. With Docsis 3.1 you will get the same kind of connectivity and throughput as competitors fibre solutions.

This is, unfortunately, false; the differentiating factor is upload speeds. Telus is currently offering packages that offer more or less symmetrical upload/download speeds. This becomes relevant for users who use, for example, cloud backup services. It would take almost 4 days to upload 1TB from one's hard drive at Shaw's upload speeds of 25Mbps. The same tasks would take just over 2 hours at Telus's 940Mbps upload speeds.

So, not the same connectivity at all.

0 Kudos

-- It would take almost 4 days to upload 1TB  One dual-la...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jeremyfelix -- It would take almost 4 days to upload 1TB 

One dual-layer DVD disk is under 9 GB. So, how often do you upload the equivalent of ~100 such disks ??

`

0 Kudos

The biggest downfall for the low upload speed is if you n...

Quinnel
Grasshopper

The biggest downfall for the low upload speed is if you need to remotely access your computer at work during these covid times. ESPECIALLY if your work is animating in 3d.. my ping with Shaw to work that is a 15 minute bike ride away is about 70ms - which can be very frustrating when you're working and the image keeps buffering and you can barely see what the hell you're doing. I ran a tracert command in cmd prompt and it tells me that my connection bounces to Toronto and back- I'm in Vancouver, BC.

People with Telus fiber, on the other hand, get max 5ms connection to work. They don't bounce to Toronto and back and they're the only ones that don't complain about their connection to work. 

I'm going to be switching to Telus for this reason alone. I tried phoning Shaw multiple times to see if they can somehow stop my connection going to Toronto- but they kept saying it's my work's issue.. or they tell me that's not how the internet works. One guy told me that he would talk to his crew and then phone me back.. he never did. I called them 3 times to ask that dude to call me back to hear the news.. but he still never called and i kept my eye on my phone and never saw Shaw calling. It sucks because I have an amazing deal with Shaw currently, which i was more than happy with.. but it doesn't provide the performance i need for work.

I would have stuck around if they could streamline my connection to work. I thought that they would be able to because i have a coworker on Novus that had a similar issue.. after multiple calls with support, an admin was able to re route his connection to work and he got much faster ping times.

If a Shaw rep reads this, no hard feelings- but if you know if it's possible to reroute a connection so i can get faster pings to my work.. you may be able to retain a customer.

-- I ran a tracert command ... and it tells me that my c...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Quinnel --  I ran a tracert command ... and it tells me that my connection bounces to Toronto and back- I'm in Vancouver, BC.

It is unfortunate that you did not include the output from that trace, nor the destination IP-address that you specified in the tracert command.

On the Internet, each "router" has routing-tables that define the path that IP-packets will take from your location to your employer's location.  Each entry in the table has a "weight", to define the "best" route. So, it is unexpected that the routing-tables (inside Shaw's routers and inside non-Shaw routers) define a BC-to-BC route that is "best" to go through Toronto.

> People with Telus fiber, on the other hand, get max 5ms connection

This implies that either:

* your work network is connected via Telus Business,

* your work network is connected to some Internet Provider that connects to BCNet's "Packet Interchange" room in downtown Vancouver. Of course, both Shaw & Telus connect into the same P.I.  Compare to wanting to fly from Prince George to Toronto -- you will probably fly to Vancouver, change planes at YVR, and take a flight to Toronto.  YVR is the "interchange" for Air Canada, WestJet, and the smaller carriers. (Maybe, there is non-stop from P.G. to Edmonton, and another non-stop from Edmonton to Toronto.)

0 Kudos

To be on the safe side, I don't want to put my work's IP...

Quinnel
Grasshopper

To be on the safe side, I don't want to put my work's IP address on a public site. But, I know it goes to Toronto because of "zayo.ip4.torontointernetexchange.net [206.108.35.76]" - one of the customer support people told me that my internet couldn't possibly be going through Toronto, until I told him about that bounce. After that, all he said was "Well, in order to get the 600 speed you're getting, it has to do that."

This implies that either:

* your work network is connected via Telus Business,

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to ask IT about that, actually.

edit: Turns out they use "All Stream" - never even heard of em.. I'm assuming they just provide for businesses or something?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help